Check back here periodically for updates. Each time I add a new post I will upload a picture to the photo grid below, and link it to the post with the test results. Please take into consideration that just because (for example) one orange cup is negative for toxicants that does not mean that all items of that color will be negative! Case-in-point: the orange cup and funnel towards the bottom of this set of images appear to be identical (or nearly identical) in color, yet one is positive for toxicants and the other is negative!

Click any of the images below to see the corresponding XRF test results (listing all metals found) for that exact item pictured.

Any information you might have that can help positively date any of these pieces would be very useful. For example, one of my readers sent me the 1982 Tupperware catalog which I have uploaded in full HERE. It looks like many of the pieces pictured below are in that catalog, and so may date from circa 1982.

Please comment here on this post, or send me an e-mail with any additional information you might have to share with my readers. Thank you!: TamaraRubin@mac.om

[Note: the last images (after the “coming soon” block) are not yet linked to the test results for those items (8 p.m. PST, Saturday, 3/23). I am working on writing up those test results now. Thank you for your patience.] Continue reading below the images as well for additional information.

Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is Tupperware Toxic? Does Tupperware have Lead? Is vintage Tupperware full of poisons?Is MY Tupperware Toxic?Is MY Tupperware Toxic?Is MY Tupperware Toxic?

If you appreciate this work and would like to see more test results like this, please consider contributing to the GoFundMe for my advocacy work: http://www.GoFundMe.com/LeadSafeMama.

I do take “requests” — as, here in the Sellwood neighborhood of Portland, I live near quite a few antiques & collectibles stores, and could easily go purchase something that you might want tested (for anyone that can make a contribution to cover the cost of the item and a bit towards the cost of testing); please e-mail me if you are interested in having me purchase something specific to test.

Outside of this unexpected/random/bizarre, runaway hit [shall we refer to it as the “Vintage Tupperware Testing Surprise Party of 2019“? lol], if you are interested participating in the “regularly-scheduled programming” of day-in and day-out consumer goods testing that I normally coordinate here on this site, here is a post with more information about how that generally works.

As always, thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

24 Responses to “Is MY Tupperware Toxic?” (Images for each item tested – linked to test results for Mercury, Lead, Arsenic & Cadmium.)

1. Cathy March 21, 2019 at 6:37 am #

Hi! Do you know if the yellow Tupperware colander is toxic?

• Tamara March 21, 2019 at 11:29 am #

Hi Cathy,

I have not yet tested one, sorry. Please check back periodically on this post: https://tamararubin.com/2019/03/is-my-tupperware-toxic-here-are-pictures-of-everything-i-have-tested-so-far-with-links-to-the-xrf-test-results/

I will link the results there as soon as I have tested one.

Thank you for commenting.

• Cheryl schmied March 21, 2019 at 12:36 pm #

I have a yellow oval Tupperware serving bowl w white collander inside. Bottom says Tupperware. Is this safe?

• Ginny Ettlemyer March 28, 2019 at 6:57 am #

I have this same vegetable server. Is it safe to use?

• Tamara April 1, 2019 at 10:15 am #

Hi Ginny,

I haven not yet tested the vegetable server. I will post it on the blog when I do. If you subscribe to my e-mail list (which is free) you will be among the first to know.

2. Kerri March 21, 2019 at 9:16 am #

Thank you for your insight I would like to know what about vintage measuring spoons and could u send me a paper on all of items that u tested and their results

• Tamara March 21, 2019 at 11:02 am #

Hi Kerri,

This post IS all the items I have tested and their test results. Click each picture to see the corresponding test results for that item. I have not tested any of the measuring spoons yet.

Thanks for commenting.

3. Marlene March 21, 2019 at 10:22 am #

What do I do with the Tupperware I own that is toxic? Not sure it is worth keeping any Tupperware I purchased in 1970’s or 1980’s.

4. Kara Pullins March 21, 2019 at 2:29 pm #

Have you test the Tupperware Noah’s ark fro 1986?

5. Sandie March 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm #

You don’t mention about light gold cups. They are not yellow. They are from the late 70’s early 80’s.

6. Annette March 21, 2019 at 6:20 pm #

Would ALL of the measuring cups be toxic? We have green ones. Should I throw out EVERY piece of Tupperware I have from the 70’s and 80’s? Yikes!!

7. Anne March 22, 2019 at 4:21 am #

What about yellow orange and green storage bowls that came as a set from the early 80s

8. Shirley March 22, 2019 at 6:37 am #

If you are consered with your vintage Tupperware being toxic (no proved results, as the products were not new and could’ve been used in many ways) contact me and schedule a party! You can earn new stuff to replace your older items.

• Sue DAmbrosio March 31, 2019 at 9:28 am #

How do I get a hold of someone for replacements of the yellow gold measuring cups. My mom has 3 sets of them. She uses them daily and doesn’t want to give them up.
      She also has the large gallon container with white smooth lid. Are these also toxic? What about the colored canister sets to hold sugar, flour, powdered sugar, etc. are these toxic too. I am getting really concerned now.

9. Sandy Buckley March 23, 2019 at 12:49 pm #

Hi Tamara, I have an older veggie tray, cream colored, with a verigated top and a similar smaller version that fits in the middle of the larger one as a dip tray. These are early 80’s .
    Also the colored Jr. cups that has a built in wide flat base, and about 4″ tall, so it made them more difficult to topple and spill.
    Have you tested or have info on these?
    .thank you for your time.
    Sandy

10. Lucy March 24, 2019 at 10:27 am #

I have the orange measuring cups. Are the measuring spoons bad also?

11. lindab March 25, 2019 at 7:47 am #

Is there a post that simply lists each piece as either SAFE or UNSAFE? I am getting confused going from one color to the other.

• Tamara March 25, 2019 at 7:53 am #

Each post lists the XRF test results for each specific item pictured.

I generally don’t rate any plastics as “safe” (overall). Especially since Tupperware has admitted that they had unsafe levels of PBA prior to 2010, I would not think any pre-2010 Tupperware should be considered safe (my opinion.)

Here’s my post with links to #SaferChoices in general: https://tamararubin.com/store/

• Rebecca Prichard April 11, 2019 at 2:13 pm #

2010?! That’s nine years ago!

• Tamara April 11, 2019 at 2:20 pm #

Hi Rebecca,

Yes – so Tupperware newer than 2010 (9 years and newer) should be safe from heavy metals and BPA as I understand it. Vintage is generally “at least 20+ years old” – and it is all Vintage Tupperware that has been testing positive for heavy metals (it looks like the Tupperware from the 1980s is the most suspect right now.)

• Rebecca Prichard April 11, 2019 at 3:50 pm #

What I meant was “that’ ONLY nine years ago!”

Thanks so much to you I am getting rid of five pyrex bowls, a beautiful set of clear and orange tupperware canisters, tupperware measuring spoons and cups, and more!! YIKES! I’m usually really smart about leaching but the vintage blinded me because I love it so much. THANK YOU for you work.

12. Marlene March 25, 2019 at 8:16 am #

Has the marinator been tested? Reddish bottom with white top.