Baking Lead-Free This Holiday Season!

Close friends of mine know I have always been very passionate about baking.  One of my very first business endeavors after graduating college was baking my famous biscotti (Auntie Tammy’s Biscotti) and selling it at local cafes in Marin County.

Fast forward 27 years and now many of my followers want to know what I use in my own kitchen, which items I am confident are lead-free and/or safe for my family.  I have tested all of my personal cooking implements with an XRF and know for a fact that they are lead-free. For those who are interested in using things that are either the same or similar to what I use in my kitchen here’s a short list to start… I will add to it later. (Links and pictures are clickable to Amazon if you are interested in purchasing any of these things!)

With most of these items in my home I stick with the “simple is usually better” philosophy.  Instead of your home decoration coming from bright paints and glazes (often full of lead, cadmium, arsenic and other toxic stuff) the beauty in your home can come from the simplicity or your kitchen not from decorations on your cookware, with the color and excitement provided by the food not the dishes!  [Bonus! The simpler things are often less expensive too! So better for your health and your wallet!]

Some of the links on this page may be Amazon affiliate links where a purchase made
after clicking will result in a small commission for me without costing you extra!

measure

MUST HAVE!!!  Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons.

614s9-vqkal-_sl1001_

MUST HAVE!!! Simple Stainless Hand Whisks.

bowls

MUST HAVE!! Clear Glass Modern Pyrex Nesting Bowls

scoops

MUST HAVE !!! Modern Stainless Ice Cream / Cookie Dough Scoops
(many older ones have lead).

pieplate

MUST HAVE !!! Simple Clear Glass Pie Plates
(New Pyrex and Anchor Hocking are both good choices!)

beater

Beater Blade for your KitchenAid Mixer… many of the KitchenAid brand attachments have tested positive for lead with an XRF.

spatulas

Silicone Spatulas (without any painted branding or writing on the handles or blades)

castiron

MUST HAVE!!  Simple unadorned cast iron!
I have my grandmother’s and great-aunts…
but if you don’t have heirloom cast iron you can always buy new!

THINGS I AVOID (Unless I have already tested them.)

• Anything with any kind of painted decoration including clear glass with painted markings.
  • Any glazed ceramics.
  • Most plastic (when possible.)
  • Cast iron with ANY coatings (colorants, non-stick, etc.)

As always, please let me know if you have any questions!

Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
Unexpected Lead Expert

Affiliate link disclosure: If you choose to purchase any items after clicking the Amazon links above, Amazon pays me a small kick back as a thank you for sending business their way. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and helps support this website, allowing me to keep sharing information about childhood lead poisoning prevention (as well as making it possible for me to keep sharing about safe products for your home and family) ... Sharing this information in turn helps families everywhere protect their children from potential environmental toxicity in their homes. I only link to products that are the same as (or very similar to) ones that I either have direct personal experience with in my home or that I have personally tested with an XRF Instrument and found to be lead-safe or lead-free. December 2016

47 Responses to Baking Lead-Free This Holiday Season!

1. Jamie December 20, 2016 at 6:43 am #

Hello Tamara,
    Thank you for this list; I find it not only helpful for myself but as I am becoming more aware of lead in my kitchen items, I share your information with friends and family. Have you had the opportunity to test Emile Henry bakeware and pie plates – specifically the glazed designs produced exclusively for Williams Sonoma (which differ from their main line)? Have you also had an opportunity to test Le Creuset cast iron pots? Le Creuset has that cream color enamel over the cast iron. Staub cast iron cookware is black but I’m unsure if they coat it and I was wondering if you might know. Thank you for your time and all of your efforts!

2. Katherine January 30, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Are these the ones in your home? Were you able to test this types/brands/variations specifically? I wanted to replace my metal measuring spoons bc I’m unsure of what metal they are. I know a solid piece of steel is what we want so there is in introduction of other metal combinations, I would think the above are but I could always check and return if not.

3. Seattle mama February 4, 2017 at 8:00 am #

I use most of what you have listed here. I have also changed some of my purchases due to this blog. Thank you. But I do like Le Creuset and am considering buying a Dutch oven. Have you specifically tested this brand? They claim to be lead free.

• Tamara February 4, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I am working on a post about Le Creuset as well. I will make sure to get you a link when I have finished it. Thanks for following!

• me October 20, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Staub is a much better product. Also is made all in France unlike Le Creuset which some are glazed and now made in China. Which makes me even question their French made items. What other short cuts are they doing.

The best is good ole fashioned cast iron. Cheap, safe, durable & will last generations. If seasoned properly will be non-stick. It’s my favorite but I do have some Staub cookware as well.

4. Carrie February 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

Have you tested the whisk attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer? If it contains lead, have you found a lead-free alternative?

5. Tarrah Young May 28, 2017 at 7:48 am #

Hi there, I noticed you listed the beater blade for a kitchenaid, which you said has lead,but you also listed it with the items you would suggest owning. I just want to make sure I understand, because I was just given a stand mixer, and I`m wondering about that blade….are you suggesting that it is not safe to use or that you would recommend it? Any more detail would be greatly appreciated!

• Tamara May 28, 2017 at 8:07 am #

The “Beater Blade” brand blade does not have lead.

6. Arm October 26, 2017 at 12:20 am #

Hi Tamara! What do you think about Xtrema ceramic pans?

• Tamara October 26, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

I think they have markings on the bottom that have tested positive for lead in the thousands of parts per million and I would never buy or use them 🙂

7. Jamie October 26, 2017 at 5:10 am #

Hello Tamara,
    I hope this post finds you well. Have you had an opportunity to test the Emile Henry pie dishes and bakers exclusive to Williams Sonoma? I’m also looking forward to your post on Le Creuset and hope you will also test Staub. Thank you and happy holiday baking!

8. paula December 4, 2017 at 7:37 am #

So is all silicone bakeware contaminated? I just got a sweet blue heart cake pan at IKEA for baking cakes in. You said OKEA was usually very diligent with chemicals.

• Tamara December 4, 2017 at 9:02 am #

Ikea is probably cadmium- free although I don’t know if I have tested any silicone stuff from Ikea… I will look through my archives.

• Lili January 3, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

Hello Tamara, thanks for all your work and information. I am so glad I found your blog as we are going through difficult times like many people:( . Have you found anything in your archives about Ikea silicon bakeware?

9. Lora January 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm #

My son’s cadmium levels are through the roof. I’m starting the year with a kitchen clean-out. Are these silicone spatulas cadmium-free?

10. Lili January 3, 2018 at 5:05 pm #

🙂

11. Sandra October 21, 2018 at 8:53 pm #

Also how do you feel about cooking with bamboo utensils?

• Tamara October 21, 2018 at 11:32 pm #

I think bamboo is generally a good choice. It’s not as sustainable as some people think (because it is usually shipped from pretty far away) – but we have a few bamboo pieces in our home. You have to make sure it is a good company that doesn’t use toxic glues and that sort of thing. There is a company that has organic bamboo products, that’s probably a good place to start.

• Sandra October 21, 2018 at 11:35 pm #

Neet
        4.2 out of 5 stars 619 Reviews
        Organic Bamboo Cooking Utensils Set, Unique Elevation Feature, 6 Piece Set, Wooden Spoons Spatula, Kitchen Utensil Set, High Heat Resistant, Wood Serving Spoon, Eco-Friendly & Biodegradable Gift Idea
        I found these on Amazon

12. Sandra October 21, 2018 at 11:45 pm #

My husband wants to buy the tefal cookware that is non stick but says PFOA-, Lead-, and Cadmium-free But I’m a little skeptical ….I was wondering if you knew this brand a bit more and if it’s a no-no despite the brand stating there free for all those things p.s. sorry to bug but I’m moving in to my house in a couple of days and I want to make I get the best for my little girl. If you can email me sandrahoang1994@gmail.com thank you

• Tamara October 22, 2018 at 9:40 am #

I’m not comfortable with that brand (for me personally/ use in my house) – I have seen too much variation in the non-stick pans to have a recommendation.

13. Valjeanne Jones-Williams October 29, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

I am also interested in the results of your test of Le Creuset enameled cast iron as well as their ceramics. Also have you tested Emile Henry’s ceramics? Thank you.

14. Sheila November 11, 2018 at 9:39 pm #

What cookware do you use in your home? My grandson is autistic and his aluminum levels are high. Trying to find cookware that would be better for him. Was leaning toward the Mercola or Xtrema brands. Now I read about the lead in the label. What to do???

• Tamara November 11, 2018 at 9:53 pm #

I use stainless steel, clear glass and cast iron.
      – Tamara

• Sheila November 12, 2018 at 11:14 am #

Tamara, do you know if your stainless steel pans have an aluminum core in the layers? What brand do you have?

• Jocelyn Scott February 10, 2019 at 9:38 am #

Can you tell us what brands you use?

• Darlene January 18, 2019 at 4:56 am #

Shiela all vaccines are loaded with aluminum. If you vaccinate, please check out FB for vaccine information groups,they will provide the links into the CDC with the ingredients in the vaccines. Hope this will help.

15. Mary December 8, 2018 at 10:08 am #

I am looking for a counter top mixer. I was seriously thinking about a KitchenAid Lift until I read about the lead content in the attachments.
    What brand would be a safe lead-free purchase?
    Should I buy the KitchenAid and then purchase lead free attachments, if they are available?

• Tamara December 8, 2018 at 11:14 am #

Personally I love the appliance and am looking forward to buying (and testing) the new stainless attachments. If someone could buy them and send them to me I would test them for free and send them back to the purchaser (just so I could do a blog post.) I think they carry them on the Williams Sonoma website still for about $79.00 for the set of three (link in the post above should still be accurate.)

• Cami December 17, 2018 at 11:53 pm #

Hi Tamara. I can send you the Kitchenaid Proline 7 quart SS attachments for testing. Do you still need them? Should I also send the SS bowl?

• Tamara December 18, 2018 at 12:10 am #

I’d love that! I don’t need the bowl (It’s the same as a standard bowl, right?) my email is TamaraRubin@mac.com. Send me a pic of the bowl and we can take it from there. Thank you!

• Darren February 11, 2019 at 10:51 pm #

I have kitchenaid nsf stainless attachments that fit on my 6 quart mixer. Is this what you are interested in testing?

• Tamara February 11, 2019 at 11:10 pm #

Hi Darren!

Yes – it is, I have had a lot of requests to test those and would love to create a post about them. Could you e-mail me a picture? Is the top nut on them gray? or shiny? Thank you!

TamaraRubin@mac.com

• Darren February 11, 2019 at 11:35 pm #

They are shiny. I will email a picture.

16. Renee December 13, 2018 at 1:32 pm #

What about Staub cast iron cocottes and French ovens?

17. Ashley January 7, 2019 at 7:43 am #

Do you have baking sheets you recommend?

18. Lori February 8, 2019 at 12:42 pm #

Do you use any clear glass Pyrex casserole dishes such as this?

I know you’ve mentioned using clear glass for cooking but I was wondering if this is the kind of cookware you mean.

Thank you so much for what you do.

19. Darren February 11, 2019 at 10:32 pm #

Have you tested Chantal cookware? I have a soup pot that I was wondering about.

• Tamara February 11, 2019 at 11:12 pm #

Hi again Darren!

I have found their enamelware and ceramics to consistently be positive for at least some level of lead. What kind of soup pot do you have? If it is stainless I would not have a concern, but if it has decorative enamel elements it could be leaded.

• Darren February 11, 2019 at 11:30 pm #

The pot is porcelain enamel. The web site says they are lead and cadmium safe. I was concerned that it didn’t say lead free. It is a purple blue color with stainless handles.

• Darren February 15, 2019 at 3:20 pm #

Hi, I did a lead acid leach test and the pot showed no signs of lead. I did find a company close to my house that would test my cookware for lead using the same instrument that you are using. I was told that the enamel could contain lead but that the lead may be insoluble because of the glazing process and would not leach into food. I did find small amounts of lead on my Pyrex measuring cup but nothing else so far.

20. Celeste Sorrentino February 25, 2019 at 8:54 am #

Tamar please advise regarding safest stainless pots and pans to purchase at this time. many have aluminum core.

• KaChina February 26, 2019 at 12:43 pm #

I have the same question regarding safest stainless pots & pans to purchase. My concern is the aluminum core. I was looking at Ikea.