Baking Lead-Free This Holiday Season!

Close friends of mine know I have always been very passionate about baking.  One of my very first business endeavors after graduating college was baking my famous biscotti (Auntie Tammy’s Biscotti) and selling it at local cafes in Marin County.

Fast forward 27 years and now many of my followers want to know what I use in my own kitchen, which items I am confident are lead-free and/or safe for my family.  I have tested all of my personal cooking implements with an XRF and know for a fact that they are lead-free. For those who are interested in using things that are either the same or similar to what I use in my kitchen here’s a short list to start… I will add to it later. (Links and pictures are clickable to Amazon if you are interested in purchasing any of these things!)

With most of these items in my home I stick with the “simple is usually better” philosophy.  Instead of your home decoration coming from bright paints and glazes (often full of lead, cadmium, arsenic and other toxic stuff) the beauty in your home can come from the simplicity or your kitchen not from decorations on your cookware, with the color and excitement provided by the food not the dishes!  [Bonus! The simpler things are often less expensive too! So better for your health and your wallet!]

Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links where a purchase made
after clicking will support this website without costing you extra!

measure

MUST HAVE!!!  Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons.

614s9-vqkal-_sl1001_

MUST HAVE!!! Simple Stainless Hand Whisks.

bowls

MUST HAVE!! Clear Glass Modern Pyrex Nesting Bowls

scoops

MUST HAVE !!! Modern Stainless Ice Cream / Cookie Dough Scoops
(many older ones have lead).

pieplate

MUST HAVE !!! Simple Clear Glass Pie Plates
(New Pyrex and Anchor Hocking are both good choices!)

beater

Beater Blade for your KitchenAid Mixer… many of the KitchenAid brand attachments have tested positive for lead with an XRF.

spatulas

Silicone Spatulas (without any painted branding or writing on the handles or blades)

castiron

MUST HAVE!!  Simple unadorned cast iron!
I have my grandmother’s and great-aunts…
but if you don’t have heirloom cast iron you can always buy new!

THINGS I AVOID (Unless I have already tested them.)

• Anything with any kind of painted decoration including clear glass with painted markings.
  • Any glazed ceramics.
  • Most plastic (when possible.)
  • Cast iron with ANY coatings (colorants, non-stick, etc.)

As always, please let me know if you have any questions!

Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
Unexpected Lead Expert

Affiliate link disclosure: If you choose to purchase any items after clicking the Amazon links above, Amazon pays me a small kick back as a thank you for sending business their way. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and helps support this website, allowing me to keep sharing information about childhood lead poisoning prevention (as well as making it possible for me to keep sharing about safe products for your home and family) ... Sharing this information in turn helps families everywhere protect their children from potential environmental toxicity in their homes. I only link to products that are the same as (or very similar to) ones that I either have direct personal experience with in my home or that I have personally tested with an XRF Instrument and found to be lead-safe or lead-free. December 2016

13 Responses to Baking Lead-Free This Holiday Season!

1. Jamie December 20, 2016 at 6:43 am #

Hello Tamara,
    Thank you for this list; I find it not only helpful for myself but as I am becoming more aware of lead in my kitchen items, I share your information with friends and family. Have you had the opportunity to test Emile Henry bakeware and pie plates – specifically the glazed designs produced exclusively for Williams Sonoma (which differ from their main line)? Have you also had an opportunity to test Le Creuset cast iron pots? Le Creuset has that cream color enamel over the cast iron. Staub cast iron cookware is black but I’m unsure if they coat it and I was wondering if you might know. Thank you for your time and all of your efforts!

2. Katherine January 30, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Are these the ones in your home? Were you able to test this types/brands/variations specifically? I wanted to replace my metal measuring spoons bc I’m unsure of what metal they are. I know a solid piece of steel is what we want so there is in introduction of other metal combinations, I would think the above are but I could always check and return if not.

3. Seattle mama February 4, 2017 at 8:00 am #

I use most of what you have listed here. I have also changed some of my purchases due to this blog. Thank you. But I do like Le Creuset and am considering buying a Dutch oven. Have you specifically tested this brand? They claim to be lead free.

• Tamara February 4, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

I am working on a post about Le Creuset as well. I will make sure to get you a link when I have finished it. Thanks for following!

• me October 20, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Staub is a much better product. Also is made all in France unlike Le Creuset which some are glazed and now made in China. Which makes me even question their French made items. What other short cuts are they doing.

The best is good ole fashioned cast iron. Cheap, safe, durable & will last generations. If seasoned properly will be non-stick. It’s my favorite but I do have some Staub cookware as well.

4. Carrie February 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm #

Have you tested the whisk attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer? If it contains lead, have you found a lead-free alternative?

5. Tarrah Young May 28, 2017 at 7:48 am #

Hi there, I noticed you listed the beater blade for a kitchenaid, which you said has lead,but you also listed it with the items you would suggest owning. I just want to make sure I understand, because I was just given a stand mixer, and I`m wondering about that blade….are you suggesting that it is not safe to use or that you would recommend it? Any more detail would be greatly appreciated!

• Tamara May 28, 2017 at 8:07 am #

The “Beater Blade” brand blade does not have lead.

6. Arm October 26, 2017 at 12:20 am #

Hi Tamara! What do you think about Xtrema ceramic pans?

• Tamara October 26, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

I think they have markings on the bottom that have tested positive for lead in the thousands of parts per million and I would never buy or use them 🙂

7. Jamie October 26, 2017 at 5:10 am #

Hello Tamara,
    I hope this post finds you well. Have you had an opportunity to test the Emile Henry pie dishes and bakers exclusive to Williams Sonoma? I’m also looking forward to your post on Le Creuset and hope you will also test Staub. Thank you and happy holiday baking!

8. paula December 4, 2017 at 7:37 am #

So is all silicone bakeware contaminated? I just got a sweet blue heart cake pan at IKEA for baking cakes in. You said OKEA was usually very diligent with chemicals.

• Tamara December 4, 2017 at 9:02 am #

Ikea is probably cadmium- free although I don’t know if I have tested any silicone stuff from Ikea… I will look through my archives.