#SaferChoices: Casserole Dishes

Here are some #SaferChoices for casserole dishes that are most likely to be lead-free.  These are similar to ones I have tested or have in my home.

General rule of thumb: When looking for a casserole dish avoid colors, avoid ceramics, and avoid enamel-coated metal casseroles. Have the food be the decoration on your table, not the pots and pans!

The links to these items are my Amazon Affiliate links, so if you choose to purchase one of these items via one of my links, Amazon will send me a small percentage of the value of your purchase at no extra cost to you!  Thank you for reading.  As always, please let me know if you have any questions!

Pyrex 2-quart

Pyrex 2-quart, sculpted glass

Libbey 6-Piece Set

18 Responses to #SaferChoices: Casserole Dishes

1. Stephanie December 23, 2017 at 11:47 am #

Are the plain white Corningware casseroles safe? I might need to upgrade to these glass ones. Thanks!

• Tamara December 23, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

The modern / newer white ones (from Corning) with no decoration are generally lead-free.

2. Dawn C September 26, 2018 at 1:28 pm #

Do you know if Le Creuset cast iron w/ ceramic coating is safe? Thanks for all the info, I think I need to replace some things…

• Tamara September 27, 2018 at 9:40 am #

I don’t recommend Le Creuset, many of their products (even recent ones) have cadmium, and then going back as recently as 10 and 20 years they have many products that are high lead. Here are a bunch of test results for Le Creuset Items: https://tamararubin.com/category/le-creuset/

3. Ailene November 1, 2018 at 2:11 pm #

Hi! I just stumbled upon your posts today and am very interested. I have a Corning Ware baking dish with Pyrex lid that I picked up at a goodwill. It’s from the CorningWare Blue Cornflower set. Have you tested the inside of the dish are know of any concerns of chemicals leaching from the inside? Thank you

• Tamara November 1, 2018 at 3:23 pm #

Based on the testing I have done, the inside of those blue Cornflower pieces are generally negative for toxicants (lead, cadmium, arsenic and mercury), Ailene.
      Here are some posts to check out: https://tamararubin.com/category/cornflower/

4. Mel December 22, 2018 at 5:10 pm #

Have you tested any of the amazon basics cookware? I received an enameled cast iron dutch oven as a gift. I am hesitant to keep it after reading all of this information.

• Tamara December 23, 2018 at 11:42 am #

I have not, I’m sorry!

5. Tami December 26, 2018 at 3:27 pm #

Tamara, thanks for your wonderful, educational work. I have so much more to learn about surprising sources of hidden lead.

We received a new set of 28 Pyrex Simply Store. I called the company to confirm they are lead free and was told they meet California Prop 65 standards. Does this mean they are lead free? Would you allow your family to use them? [Also, I can’t find lead-free soup mugs (prefer a handle if possible) anywhere. Do you have suggestions?] Thanks so much!

• Tamara December 26, 2018 at 3:29 pm #

Are the Pyrex Simply Store products clear glass? If so (if they are modern clear glass) they are likely lead-free. I’ll look around for a soup mug suggestion and get back to you!
      – Tamara

• Tami December 26, 2018 at 5:54 pm #

Tamara, thanks so much for your very prompt response! Yes, they are clear glass. The 1 cup and 2 cup dishes are completely clear including the top rim, but the 4 cup and 7 cup have a greenish tint only around the top rim. (I have some older rectangular casseroles of various sizes that also are clear glass except for a color rim). Does the rim matter?

Also, I’ve been trying hard to follow your recommendations but the Correlle white large set on your Amazon list is out of stock. Is all Corelle white color generally ok? I’d like 12 place settings to include plates and bowls. Thanks again!

• Tamara December 26, 2018 at 6:13 pm #

Yes any and all plain white Corelle (embossed or not) is going to be lead-free. There is also a comparable line at Ikea that is significantly less expensive AND I heard the Corelle sets are on sale this week at Target for a really good price. The green tint in the rims of the clear glass can SOMETIMES mean there is lead (especially if the item is green because it is made of recycled glass), but with new clear Pyrex brand items that is generally not a concern.
          – Tamara

6. Mel December 29, 2018 at 6:57 am #

Have you tested any of the temptations cookware line?

• Tamara December 29, 2018 at 9:37 am #

I am not familiar with this line. Can you share a link with an image? Thank you. [I just know the band! They serenaded me once back stage in 1996 ;-)]
      Tamara.

7. Lisa Weiland December 30, 2018 at 8:25 am #

What about Pampered Chef? Have you ever tested anything they offer?

8. Sandy January 7, 2019 at 10:06 am #

Dear Tamara
    I have purchased set of Libbey bakers basic
    Casserole baking dishes. They say Mexico
    In the glass small letters. Clear glass but bottoms are more opaque.
    Lead free and safe or no ?

9. Irina February 11, 2019 at 2:13 pm #

Thank you SO much for what are doing! I hope that life gets better for you and your boys!
    One question: what do you use to just boil an egg (I read that you are a vegetarian, not sure if you guys eat eggs) or plain noodles?

Thank you!

• Tamara February 11, 2019 at 2:55 pm #

Hi Irina,

This is what I generally use to boil an egg: https://amzn.to/2WWpMIg (affiliate link)