What is Lead Safe Mama, LLC
Lead Safe Mama, LLC is a woman-owned small business that is an environmental advocacy organization focused on childhood Lead-poisoning prevention and advocating for the identification and elimination of toxicants (Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, and Antimony) that are currently still routinely found in our homes, schools and environment (both in our consumer goods and in the buildings themselves.)
Lead Safe Mama, LLC depends on collaboration
Lead Safe Mama, LLC has very unusual business model based on a foundation of collaboration with the public. The work we do is both dictated by (driven by) our readers and social media followers and funded by these same people (friends, followers, subscribers, readers.)
What activities does Lead Safe Mama, LLC engage in to accomplish your goals?
- Testing (using XRF technology and other scientifically replicable testing methodologies) and reporting on the test results of newly manufactured, antique and vintage consumer goods commonly found in our homes, schools and environments.
- Working to hold corporations accountable for production of legacy and modern consumer goods that test positive for toxicants (especially when non-toxic materials are readily available alternatives for the same applications.)
- Writing about the above test results on the Lead Safe Mama website (and other issues related to childhood Lead poisoning prevention and consumer goods safety.)
- Producing and publishing films and videos – from short YouTube videos to our “Ten Minutes With Tamara Video Series” to our documentary feature film (MisLEAD: America’s Secret Epidemic) – focused on childhood Lead poisoning prevention, consumer goods safety and environmental activism.
- Coordinating and participating in public outreach events and speaking engagements (normally sponsored by hospitals, schools, universities / colleges, city, state or county health departments or local businesses.)
- Consulting: One-on-one in-person home consultations with families, consulting with businesses on product development, working with attorneys on toxicant related cases and zoom consults / phone consults with groups / families.
- Guest teaching classes. To date we have guest taught classes for students ranging from pre-K to elementary school, to high school, to colleges and universities. We have also done guest speaking (and served as a keynote speaker) for vocational training and certification programs (related to childhood Lead poisoning preveniton) and national conferences for childhood Lead poisoning prevention.
- Recommending safer (less-toxic) product choices to those who seek out this information.
- We are also working on completing two books on the subject of childhood Lead poisoning prevention and consumer goods toxicity.
How does Lead Safe Mama, LLC earn income?
Lead Safe Mama, LLC earns income through the following activities:
- Advertising income on the website (through a contract with MediaVine) – about 35%
- Affiliate income from linking products being sold on Amazon – about 25%
- Consulting income – working with individuals and corporations (phone consultations, in-person consultations, corporate product advising, advising attorneys) – about 25%
- Donations from readers, friends and followers (including donations from businesses) – Less than 10%
- Affiliate income from select corporate sponsors (Kleynimals, Naturepedic, Water Right Hoses) – Less than 5%
- Direct coporate advertising sponsorships – Less than 5%
Why does Lead Safe Mama, LLC periodically request donations from readers in support of the work?
Until the work of Lead Safe Mama, LLC is fully funded (see below) we still need to rely on contributions from our readers, friends and followers to make ends meet (to cover the cost of the work we do here.) While some activities are “fee for service” we also continue to provide free assistance to families around the world when they cannot afford to pay for services and all of the information here on the Lead Safe Mama website (over 2,700 posts and pages) continues to be freely available. Contributions made by others in the community who have the means to do so (and who appreciate this work or who have personally benefitted from this work) make it possible for us to continue helping families without charging for access to this information (without putting the information behind a paywall.)
How does Lead Safe Mama, LLC measure success?
The simplest way for us to measure the success of this work (in terms of the impact created by the work) is by page views here on the Lead Safe Mama blog. The more page views we have each month the more people we are demonstrably able to reach with the messages and information. Thanks to Google Analytics these numbers are easy to track and measure. Also, with more page views, more income is earned through advertising contracts on the website to help pay for the cost of the work – allowing for the continuation and expansion and growth of the scope of work. About one penny per page view is earned through advertising contracts on the blog.
In 2019 (pre-CoViD-19) we had 1,948,249 (almost 2 million!) unique individual visitors to the Lead Safe Mama website from over 200 countries. In 2020 that same number was nearly 1.2 million (1,165,327 visitors.) This works out to an average of more than 1.55 million readers annually over the past two years.
We have estimated that Lead Safe Mama, LLC will be fully self-sufficient (where the income generated by the business covers all the costs of the business, including payments to those who work with us) when unique page views on the site pass 7,200,000 annually (600,000 month). We are nearly half-way to that goal with 3,826,782 unique page views for the year in 2019 and 3,066,545 page views for the year in 2020 (an average of 3,446,664 page views per year over the past two years.)
Lead Safe Mama, LLC business priorities include:
- Ensuring any statements we make in any forum (in writing, on video or in speaking engagements) are evidence based and rooted in science.
- Working only with corporate sponsors and business partners who adhere to strict standards for using 100% Lead-free materials in their current product manufacturing processes.
- Whenever possible, hiring women returning to the workplace after being on leave for raising children.
- Positions right now are only subcontractor positions, but with growth and expansion we hope to graduate to earning enough income to hire employees and offer benefits including health insurance.
Is Lead Safe Mama, LLC a NonProfit?
We are NOT a nonprofit. As such, contributions are NOT tax deductible in any way. Thank you for being a partner in this work and in expanding the reach and impact of this message.
~ end ~