Dr. Mercola Frying Pan

White label on the bottom of Dr. Mercola brand coated (ceramic [cast iron look]) pan: 14.900 ppm lead.
Interior of pan (probably from coating): 83 +/- 18 ppm lead.

As with all my posts the above results are from XRF testing.
Please click here and here to learn more about XRF instruments and testing.
Please click here and here to learn more about lead in ceramics.

Please note: XRF testing is distinct and different from leach testing that may or may not be done on cookware. XRF testing results show total lead content in an item (usually on the surface or in the top surface layers) and that may or may not have implications for leach testing.

Additional note:  I understand from the marketing materials for this cookware that it is – in fact – ceramic, however it has the weight and feel of cast iron.

For lead-free alternatives click here.
To read my post about safer choices, including plain uncoated cast iron click here.

Dear Dr. Mercola,

I e-mailed you last week, before I posted this – but I did not receive a response, and after waiting a bit, I felt I needed to share my finding with my followers.

First, I want you to know that I am so very appreciative that you shared about my findings of lead in a child’s sippy cup (that was marketed as being a “green” alternative).

Unfortunately, when people create products and have them made overseas, they don’t often know how to spot (or even everywhere to look for) specific issues — like hazards (or potential hazards) in unlikely places [that generally “pass inspection”, and may be technically “legal”, but still don’t fulfill the good intentions of the company making the product!]

I am sure you did not intend to make a product with a baked on enamel label that is 14,900 ppm lead in the label on the bottom. [Update:  I do understand from subsequent conversations with the manufacturer of this product (see comments below) that they have been told it does pass leach testing, although I am not 100% sure if leach testing is being done on the outside/ bottom of the pan (where the high lead level is) as that would be atypical of leach testing as I understand it. The manufacturer has also told me that their supplier told them that their labels do not contain lead, however in light of finding lead in the labels in subsequent testing of additional pans from this company I have encouraged them to look further into this concern.]

I am certain that until reading this post, you were not aware that it was lead paint on the bottom of your branded frying pans (!) and I am also certain that you will do right by your followers to address the issue — because you have integrity in the space of health and wellness and you specifically and personally know and understand how toxic lead can be – especially when introduced to the food preparation environment.

While I am not asserting or implying that this one particular product will definitely poison the user [XRF testing is separate and distinct from leach testing, and as-such is a quantitative result of lead present, not a result of what might get into the food or consumer’s environment through normal use], as consumers we need to be vigilant and aware of all sources of potential environmental toxicity that could unknowingly add to our body burden (of lead in this case) over our lifetime.

Also when lead is used in any manner in any product (as an additive to paint in this logo for example) that use contributes to perpetuating the demand for lead in general (even if just a little bit, all of the demands across our economy add up!) And with the ongoing demand for lead to be used in products we then (as a planet) are faced with the ongoing contamination of our natural resources (air, soil, water, etc.) by atmospheric lead created by the mining, refining and manufacturing processes.  There is then also the concern about the ongoing contamination of the workers who work in the industries where lead is mined, process and made into components used in manufacturing (of all types.)

My specific concern for the lead in this product is heightened by the fact that the label is right where the flame would reach the pan, and while it may appear innocuous and obviously “intact” when new  – it could easily deteriorate over time. Specifically, the repeated heating and cooling of the label on the bottom of the pan carries with it the possibility of releasing lead fumes into the cooking environment once the label begins to deteriorate (particularly if accidentally left unattended and overheated—which realistically does occasionally occur in a large use population over time – especially with high use pans like these)!

While:

• no one has studied this particular/exact instance;
  • there is therefore no data/evidence to support this particular concern on this particular product;
  • And you have not violated any current legislation nor regulation…

These concerns come from my extensive understanding of lead and lead toxicity — and especially the way lead on the surface of consumer products behaves over time. For context:

• while confined to a small area/volume, this lead level is also nonetheless nearly three times (300%) the amount of lead that is considered toxic in leaded house paint by our federal agencies [HUD currently requires remediation of lead paint in federally funded housing when the lead level reaches 5000 ppm]
  • the amount of lead that is considered unsafe in the paint or coating of an item made and manufactured as intended for use by children is anything 90 ppm or higher
  • again, the painted label on the bottom of your pan is 14,900 ppm lead.

I look forward to speaking with you about this issue.

My cell is 415-609-3182.

I will also be happy to publish your response to my post
here on my blog.

The woman who owns this pan (part of a full set) has some existing health issues associated with heavy metal toxicity and is trying to detox and eliminate all potential sources of toxicity from her home. She would sincerely appreciate a full replacement set of pans without lead, if you are able to do that for her (and I would be happy to connect you with her to help make this happen).

Thank you for your time.

Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
“Unexpected Lead Expert”

To support my independent advocacy work with a contribution via GoFundMe click here.
To help out by starting all of your Amazon shopping from one of my affiliate links
(and I receive a percentage of whatever you spend) click here!
Thank you!

52 Responses to Dr. Mercola Frying Pan

1. Richard Bergstrom June 10, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Tamara: Hi, My name is Richard Bergstrom and I am the founder and owner of Ceramcor and my company makes the cookware for Dr. Mercola and we have been making the cookware since 2008. The lead testing that we do is a very involved 24 hour test which is called an atomic absorption spectrometry extraction test for lead and all kinds of heavy metal. This is always done but 3rd party outside testing labs in China, Hong Kong and the United States. The test results for the past 10 years are published on our website. All of our products are tested after each and every production run. We are the only cookware company that publishes its test results on it’s website in the entire world. Our cookware has never contained any lead or any heavy metals as required by the FDA and California Prop 65. These are very strict tests that we must pass before we can sell our cookware in the USA. These test are not the same tests that are used for testing soil and paint. Our tests must pass this very high standards. Here are our testing results: https://www.ceramcor.com/product-testing/ Our website is http://www.ceramcor.com

I will find out about the gray and black decal that is fired onto the bottom of the cookware at temperatures of 2500F from our decal manufacturer and if the decal does contain any fraction of lead then when we make any new product we will make sure to use a decal that is 100% lead free.

Thank you for your article and we always encourage our customers to reach out to us with any questions or concerns. The best – Rich 🙂

You can reach me by e-mail at Rich@ceramcor.com Your customer can also e-mail at rich@ceramcor.com.

2. Sheryl Senkiw June 11, 2017 at 11:52 pm #

Thank you, Tamara Rubin, for finding this problem in Dr. Mercola’s cookware made by Ceramcor. Thank you, Richard Bergstrom for your response, and your ongoing efforts to make a high quality, safe product.

• Richard Bergstrom June 17, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

Sheryl: Thank you for responding and we love our customers and they are the smartest and healthiest consumers in the cookware industry, they really care about metal toxicity and their health. The best – Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor

3. Richard Bergstrom June 12, 2017 at 6:41 am #

Tamara & Sheryl: The initial reply from the decal manufacturer is that there is no lead on the bottom decal that is on underside of the Mercola cookware. However I have asked them for proof. When was this cookware purchased because we change the decals each and every year? We will continue to investigate this situation and I will keep you update to date on the findings from the decal manufacturer. We will make sure that there is no lead in any decal that is fired onto the bottom of our the Mercola or Xtrema cookware. Regards, Rich from Ceramcor 🙂

4. Richard Bergstrom June 12, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

Tamara & Sheryl: We have contacted the testing labs in Hong Kong and China and when they do the extraction test for lead and cadmium the entire product is tested for the extraction of lead and cadmium so if there was lead or cadmium in any part of the product that would leach the product would fail for lead and cadmium. Our testing results since 2007 have always passed for not being able to extract and or leaching lead or cadmium. I will am still waiting to find out what materials our back stamp are made of however they have proven not to leach any lead or cadmium for the past 10 years. Warm Regards Rich at Ceramcor.

• Tamara June 12, 2017 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks for continuing to follow up with this, Richard. It’s truly appreciated.

• Richard Bergstrom June 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm #

Tamara: My pleasure and my passion is healthy non-toxic 100% ceramic cookware. I believe that that there is no metal cookware or ceramic non-stick coated cookware that can be compared to the healthiness of “Pure” Xtrema ceramic cookware. The best to you and you passion for eliminating lead and heavy metals from all housewares products. Rich Bergstrom – Ceramcor.

5. Richard Bergstrom June 13, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

Tamara: It would be a blessing to all of your followers if you would apply your lead testing protocol on all of the metal cookware and Teflon and ceramic coated non-stick cookware to see what lead their product contain and also at the other heavy metals that are being leached besides lead with metal cookware. Iron, nickel, chromium and aluminum can all be very toxic to our bodies but there is no company out their except Ceramcor – http://www.ceramcor.com that is exposing people to the metal toxicity that can happen from the use of metal cookware. The manufacturing of metal cookware causes pollution and that too has also not been exposed. Metal cookware gets a free pass – why? That I believe is just as big of a story as lead poising. Wishing you the best – Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor.

6. Richard Bergstrom June 14, 2017 at 1:12 pm #

Hi, This is Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor again and I wanted to keep everybody updated about Xtrema and Mercola Healthy cookware which we manufacture. It is important to note that our product has been tested by the United States Government for lead and cadmium extractability for both the inside and out side of our ceramic cookware for the past 13 year and we have passed every single test for not leaching lead or cadmium which has involved over 50 different tests in that 13 year period. We stand behind our lead and heavy metal USA Government testing standards for our products and we believe in full disclosure and accountability. We are the only cookware that I know of that will make that statement and publish all of our testing results on our website at http://www.ceramcor.com. Please e-mail your questions at rich@ceramcor.com. Changing how America cooks, one home at a time. Blessing 🙂 Rich

7. Richard Bergstrom June 26, 2017 at 11:37 am #

Everybody: Here is a wonderful link about lead that is published by the Canadian Government which has very strict guideline for lead.

This is a must read if you want to know where all the real lead problems are coming from:

I am an somewhat of an expert on lead toxicity because I too have been exposed to lead over 20 years ago from lead paint exposure so now I have it in my bones so I have a team of doctors that are working with me to rid the lead from my bones. It will take a few months but I should be good as new. Blessings – Rich Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor – http://www.ceramcor.com

8. Richard Bergstrom June 26, 2017 at 7:23 pm #

While I am not asserting or implying that this one particular product will definitely poison the user- From Tamara

While:
    •no one has studied this particular/exact instance;
    •there is therefore no data/evidence to support this particular concern on this particular product;
    •And you have not violated any current legislation nor regulation – From Tamara

100% non toxic for lead extraction based on the USA government Prop 65 testing for 2017

• Tamara June 27, 2017 at 8:00 am #

Richard, In my experience and understanding, leach testing (what you are noting as extraction) is done by putting a corrosive or acidic solution inside a cooking vessel and measuring how much of which toxicants end up in the solution (as that might compare to how much would end up in the food in normal use of the product.) I have never heard of leach testing where the entire vessel is submerged in a solution and a determination for extractability of toxicants is made in that way. Just because I have not heard of it does not mean it is not possible, but it seems unusual to me. Also prop 65 labeling requirements is not based on extraction testing (as I understand it) but on the mere presence of toxicants in a product or any item (including housing) in California. So I would imagine given the label on the product contains lead it would need to be marked as such under prop 65, regardless of whether or not it leaches. I am not an attorney so I may not fully understand the interpretation of this law, but I do have a pretty good handle on it. – From Wikipedia on Prop 65: “The first statutory requirement of Proposition 65 prohibits businesses from knowingly discharging listed substances into drinking water sources, or onto land where the substances can pass into drinking water sources. The second prohibits businesses from knowingly exposing individuals to listed substances without providing a clear and reasonable warning.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_(1986)

9. Steve June 27, 2017 at 5:32 am #

Perhaps there is a way to do some long-term testing on the product over its expected use lifetime, with a simulated usage pattern (or even a worst-case scenario testing, just to bracket things)? Or if that is not defined, at least some defined extended period? (Like a shelf life test).

I realize that could be a long-term investment (worth it, from a consumer’s point of view), but how does the company know what *could* happen over time with their product with regards to the alleged lead content in it? The lack of complete data/evidence does not and should not lead to the conclusion there is no problem with the product. Rich, I hope you are listening, because I have a whole stack of your pans sitting now unused outside my kitchen, and I really don’t feel comfortable using them unless you can provide me harder evidence of their safety. More testing, please.

• Steve June 27, 2017 at 7:03 am #

Disclaimer: I should have stated it is MY opinion that the lack of complete data/evidence doesn’t lead to the conclusion there is no problem with the product. I didn’t want that misconstrued as an attack.

10. Richard Bergstrom June 27, 2017 at 8:06 am #

Steve: Please see Tamara’s response to your e-mail. I have spoken with Tamara and she agreed with me that the testing that she performed was not a California Prop 65 test for extractable lead which is the testing standards that we and all manufactures have to use.
    Here are our Prop 65 test results for the past 10 years. https://www.ceramcor.com/product-testing/ There is no extractable lead, cadmium or any heavy metals in our cookware. The tests results over a 10 year period tell the truth and nobody can dispute this test results because they were all done by 3rd party scientific labs in the China, Hong Kong and the USA. Thank you – Rich

11. Richard Bergstrom June 27, 2017 at 1:16 pm #

Tamara:

It would be wonderful if you could petition the government for a new testing standard for the use of your XRF device. Now we have to abide by the standards of the FDA and California Prop 65 for heavy metal leaching. Also, I wanted to give you and update on the lead extraction testing that we will be doing right away. We will be performing from 3 California Lead Prop 65 tests for lead and cadmium in Hong Kong and we will require the testing lab to immerse the entire piece of cookware into the extracting agent to see if it leaches lead or cadmium. We will also be performing the same tests here in the United States. All of this testing will take approximately 30 days. I believe we just might be the first cookware company to every request this test. We will make sure that our label on the bottom of the cookware is 100% safe and free of lead. If we have to created a new label then we will do so when we do our next production run.

The great news that in the 13 years that we have been manufacturing Xtrema ceramic cookware we have never had one single complaint by any consumer or testing agency in any country for the extraction of lead or cadmium or any other heavy metals.

Please have a nice 4th of July Holiday. Rich 

12. Bill June 30, 2017 at 8:01 pm #

I’m looking for the absolute safest cookware possible and it would be nice to see this testing, as well as leach testing done on many different brands and materials. I’ve read that even the labels on some Pyrex glass are made with lead (but it’s negligible). Not finding a cookware that I can 100% absolutely trust with independent verification is almost as disappointing as finding out my cocoa powder had excessive cadmium. 😀

13. Bill July 2, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

BTW: If a new batch of Xtrema shows no lead via XRF testing, I will gladly buy the whole set! 🙂

• Richard Bergstrom July 2, 2017 at 6:17 pm #

Bill: Hi this is Rich from Ceramcor the makers of Xtrema ceramic cookware and we are doing a whole new battery of testing in July and the reports will be completed by the laboratories by the end of July. All of the testing must be in accordance with California Prop 65 for extractable lead. We will ask one of the labs if they can use the XRF testing device on our labels however those testing results will not prove that the any material found in the label is extractable so we will do an extraction test on the label which would be more beneficial to you the consumer. Please remember that the very air we breathe, water we drink and food we eat may contain lead and other heavy metals. There is no way possible to live in a 100% lead and heavy metal free environment, except in Heaven. 🙂 Happy 4th of July and may God continue to Bless America.

• Tamara July 2, 2017 at 8:10 pm #

Hi Rich,
        Even if it doesn’t leach it can still have high lead. I highly recommend you find an independent source to also do XRF testing in addition to the leach testing you are doing. If your label tests positive for high levels of lead (and/or cadmium) with an XRF, you cannot make the “metals free” claims you are making for your product, regardless of the leach testing results. The two testing methodologies are distinct and different, each with different implications and a “pass” for leach testing does not mean that an object is free of heavy metals.
        – Tamara

14. Richard Bergstrom July 6, 2017 at 7:40 am #

Tamara: Thank you and we are reaching out to certified testing labs in the USA and Hong Kong for XRF testing of the small labels on the bottom of our cookware. We are waiting to hear back from the proper testing labs. However, we have never failed any California Prop 65 tests for lead extractions and that is what the government requires us to do. Also we are the only cookware company that has even brought metal toxicity to the forefront? I believe we reach over 700,000 consumers each year on our website so we are one of the largest advocates of metal toxicity in the USA, even larger than your blog site of several thousand members. You only focus on lead but what about all of the other metal toxicity problems. You are just focusing on one metal- lead, when we are bring attention to all the toxic heavy metals. Why haven’t you even acknowledged that to your consumers about the good things we are doing? Why don’t you tell that story? The story about a small family owned business trying to make the cookware industry safer by cooking with ceramics instead of heavy metal cookware. We have so many letters from people who love what we are doing and praising us for giving them a healthy alternative than metal cookware. Do you cook with metal cookware or nonstick cookware? You might be the lead lady but we have done more for metal cookware toxicity awareness than anybody other consumer company in the USA. Making a difference – one home at a time. Richard Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor and the makers of Xtrema “Pure” ceramic cookware. http://www.xtrema.com
    Blessings to you all. Rich Bergstrom

15. Richard Bergstrom July 6, 2017 at 8:20 am #

Tamara: Why are there Amazon Aluminum cookware ads on your blog post and not only are they aluminum but they are non-stick aluminum. Here is a video by Dr. Neal Barnard Clinical researcher and author Neal Barnard, M.D., is one of America’s leading advocates for health, nutrition, and higher standards in research. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-p9q0gOuYw
    Metal cookware causes toxicity problems in humans.

Lets get the word about all metal toxicity and not just lead. You can be known as the “Metal Lady and not just the “Lead Lady” You would help more people by going this route.

Regards, Rich Bergstrom of Ceramcor

• Tamara July 8, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Hi Richard,

Amazon posts ads in that ad-space based on what the user of the site searches for.

They are not recommendations from me, Richard.

Check my blog posts for recommendations.

I always discourage aluminum cookware and any and all non-stick coatings.

This is a site ONLY PRIMARILY for LEAD information, lead poisoning prevention and lead-safe work practices in renovation. My followers know that. My children suffered acute lead poisoning, a fact which impacts my every day life – all day, every day.

For other toxicity issues I can advise (as the XRF instrument tests for most metals) but the focus here on this site is and ALWAYS has been on lead. That’s what I do.

If a person is exceptionally knowledgeable in one area it is useful for others to know that that person is a source of information for the one issue.

Most people do NOT understand about total lead content in cookware (for example) as a concern. It is often confused with leaching standards or other standards. Until everyone understands about total lead content as an issue distinct from any other measure for lead, I will continue educating about lead in consumer goods.

I have worked with many manufacturers who have claimed their product was lead-free based on leach testing when they did not do any other testing. They did not understand the distinction between leach testing and total lead content testing as done with an XRF. Manufacturers cannot claim products are lead-free when they test positive for lead with at least one testing methodology.

How are your new tests coming along, Richard? If you would like to send me some brand new product direct from you to test with an XRF I will do that for you free of charge. I am next testing products for families in about two weeks. You could even just send me some of the labels (not affixed to the product) to test separately.

Please do realize that the interior of your pans also tested positive for trace lead with an XRF (safe by all standards / below the European standard of 90 ppm), so even once you resolve the issue with the labels, you may want to do further testing of your pans for trace heavy metals on the interior. You can switch your claims (if it is too difficult to get rid of the lead)… just stop claiming they are “metals free” and instead you can say “no added heavy metals” or “only trace levels of heavy metals are present”… but only once you switch the composition of the labels which are unquestionably high lead at a level that is definitely an additive to the product and not a trace contaminant level.

I am sorry you don’t seem to understand this distinction… and I am still very happy that you as a manufacturer are taking steps to do additional testing and better understand the concern. Thank you!

I personally would never use your pans given the high level of lead in the label (which directly touches the flame when the pan is used). Instead I use uncoated stainless steel, clear glass and vintage cast iron for most of my cooking.

• Richard Bergstrom July 8, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

Tamara: This is Rich Bergstrom. Thanks your reply and our tests results have and will be continued to be published on our website when they become available. We have 4 USA accredited and Hong Kong testing laboratories testing our products with the most up to date XRF testing devices and we are also doing California Prop 65 extraction tests at all of these laboratories too. These scientific laboratories have advised us to not use our own XRF device or any body else’s XRF devise that is not used by a certified and certified and accredited testing laboratory for any metal testing because the results would not be allowed to be published on our website as being accurate. If you wanted to purchase our samples and test the product you can do so but we can not send you the product for free because that could undermine the testing procedure. Thanks for being the lead lady but please do your work for good and go after the companies that are hiding their lead results for greed and money. If you read and study our website and learn about who we are and what we have done to make the cookware industry metal free then you would mention the good we have done and continue to do. We are changing how America cooks one home at a time. Blessing Rich Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor. 🙂

• Bruce Herman November 14, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

Tamara,

I just finished a long series of e-mails with Rich Bergstrom which were remarkably similar to your exchange. I ended up cancelling my order. What worries me is that even if there is no lead in the label by leach or even swipe testing (possibly due to a glaze barrier) the bottom of a pan is very liable to damage due to impact with cooktop grates. Any micro-crack, coupled with the direct flame from a gas burner could be a problem. Rich told me that swipe testing had been done and proved negative. He never mentioned the XRF testing he promised in a reply to you – to me that is persuasive.

Neither Rich nor his brother, while seemingly very nice people, seem to want to acknowledge the distinction between content and leachability. I asked him about other heavy metals chromium, arsenic, etc. which they did test for once years ago, and why they never test for them any more; Here is his response:

“We no longer test our cookware for other metals because those metals are not in our formula and they never have been. What would be the point? ”

They don’t seem to realize that heavy metals can be found in natural mineral deposits, and concentrations can vary greatly. In fact Bob Bergstrom told me that “there are no metals in our products”; funny since all the minerals he told me were used are primarily silicates of aluminum.

Bruce Herman

• Tamara November 14, 2017 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you for posting!

16. Richard Bergstrom July 11, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

Gov. Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill that will protect certain businesses from what he called “frivolous shakedown” lawsuits over Proposition 65, the voter-approved California law that requires companies to post warning signs or labels when they expose customers to certain chemicals that cause cancer or birth defects. Maybe he will focus on heavy metal cookware n 2017 and beyond. They are the real problems in causing metal toxicity.

Prop. 65 does not prohibit companies from using what has become a very long list of harmful chemicals, except for adding them to drinking water. But it does require companies with 10 or more employees to post warning labels of certain sizes and in certain places when customers are exposed to named substances. This is great news for small business. Our company only has 2 owners and all 1099 subcontractors so we move quite quickly when developing new healthy ceramic cookware products for the world wide market. Rich@ceramcor.com

• Bill July 12, 2017 at 12:21 am #

“If you wanted to purchase our samples and test the product you can do so but we can not send you the product fo” free because that could undermine the testing procedure.”

This would only be true if she keeps the product after testing.

Either way, it seems like an unnecessary precaution and more of an obstacle to getting accurate information out there. If it was a brand new reviewer, sure, but she already stated what her results were so it doesn’t seem likely that she’d now lie because of some free samples.

• Bruce Herman November 14, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

I see, that is why you didn’t have to certify that all chemicals and heavy metals covered by Prop 65 are below Prop 65 levels.

17. Richard Bergstrom July 12, 2017 at 4:32 am #

Bill: Thanks for you comments but I never said anything of the sort. When the we do Prop 65 testing the certified testing laboratory has to test a minimum of 6 to 12 samples not one. Those are the standards and one sample does not prove that our product leaches any metals. Why is it that our 30 laboratory FDA and Prop 65 testing reports which we pass are negated by the testing of one single sample on the bottom of the pot? Check out our website and you we see that we are the #1 advocate against metal toxicity. All metal can be very toxic. Why don’t you contact all of the metal cookware companies and ask them to publish all of their test reports? Help the cause. Make a difference – Rich Bergstrom. 🙂

18. Richard Bergstrom July 12, 2017 at 11:20 am #

Everybody: I too have been poisoned by lead and arsenic over 20 years ago when I did a lot of home repairs and painting on old antique furniture. I am now being treated by Dr. Chung of the Chung Institute of Integrative medicine here in New Jersey for the past year and I am getting better. He is fabulous caring medical doctor who was the head of Cooper University Hospital in Camden, NJ. I am very aware of heavy metal toxicity and I know how devastating it can be to young children and people of all ages. I am living prove of how devastating it can be to you mentally and physically. That is why Ceramcor is making pure ceramic cookware that does not contain any heavy metals or extract lead or cadmium. We have the scientific and certified testing results that prove everything I have said. I believe that our company is making a difference in eliminating metal toxicity that has been over looked by our government here in the USA. Ceramic cookware and or Pottery has been made for the past 10,000 years and metal cookware has been made for only 300 years. Ceramics have been proven to be far more safer when used in the human body than any metal product. I just spoke with a woman named Carrie at my doctors office who is being treated for nickel poising and she can not use stainless steel cookware because it contains leachable nickel. Most people think stainless steel cookware is 100% safe? That is 100% not true. Please read this link from Debra Dadd: http://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/stainless-steel-leaching-into-food-and-beverages/

Making a difference one home at a time – http://www.xtrema.com Contact me at rich@ceramcor.com if you have any questions about our Xtrema “Pure” ceramic cookware. Blessings – Rich

19. debbie facinoil July 12, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

Everybody, This is Debbie: Here in an article that I found on the web about 5 main sources of Lead Exposure in the United States.

Surprising Sources of Lead Exposure

Lead poisoning is a serious risk for young kids. According to the Centers of Disease Control, more than half a million children ages 1-5 in the U.S. have blood lead levels high enough to damage their health. Even with treatment, lead poisoning can permanently affect a child’s development. Because their bodies are small and growing, babies and young children are at greatest risk.
    Many parents don’t know much about how to prevent lead poisoning. Lead isn’t only in paint chips. It can show up in surprising places — like dust on your windowsill, or in your vegetable garden, or in a playground. Here are five surprising sources of lead — and tips on how to keep your kids safe.

Lead Dust
    Parents might worry about a baby eating big chips of lead paint. But it’s the little paint chips — so small that they’re just bits of dust — that experts say are a bigger concern.
    Although lead-based paint hasn’t been sold since 1978, plenty of older homes still have it. Tiny fragments of lead paint can float through the air and accumulate on surfaces throughout your house. Babies can pick them up on their hands and get them into their mouths. They can also breathe them in directly. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn’t take much. Even at very low levels of exposure, lead dust can cause harm.

What you can do: If you live in a home built before 1978, have your home tested for lead. Ideally, hire a trained professional. Although less reliable, you could also test surface paint yourself with a home kit. If you have lead, look into abatement. It can be expensive. Often, a cheaper option is encapsulation — sealing the lead paint with a fresh layer of new paint.
    Whatever you do, don’t start scraping or sanding paint without precautions. That will just send lead dust throughout your home.

Lead and Home Renovations
    Once you start a repair, painting, or renovation project in an older home, you can expose lead paint and send particles of it into the air. Some states report that renovations are the single most common cause of childhood lead poisoning. One study in Wisconsin found that kids who lived in a building while it was being renovated had a 30% higher chance of lead poisoning than kids who didn’t. What you can do: If you’re in an older home, be cautious before starting renovations. You should assume that there’s lead in the paint unless you know otherwise. Remember that home kits will only test for lead on the surface, not in the layers beneath.
    Check to make sure that your contractor or painter has been certified by the EPA in lead-safe work practices. If you’re doing the construction yourself, get information from the EPA or the National Lead Information Center on how to do it safely.
    If there’s construction going on at your child’s daycare or school, make certain they are taking precautions to prevent lead poisoning too
    Lead in the Backyard or Playground
    Any structures built before 1978 — houses, schools, barns, sheds, fences, and playground equipment — might have once had lead paint on the exterior. As that paint breaks down, it can contaminate the soil beneath it.
    Never grow a garden in soil that’s contaminated with lead. It’s not worth the risk.

Lead in Children’s Toys
    Imported toys tainted with lead have made news recently. The lead can be both in the paint and in the plastic itself. Sucking or chewing on the toy — or getting lead on the hands — can be enough to poison a child.
    Old toys are also a risk, especially if they have peeling paint.
    Swallowing a toy with high lead levels can be very dangerous. Several kids have become gravely ill as a result.
    What You Can Do: It’s hard to be absolutely sure if a toy has lead in it or not. Start by checking http://www.recalls.gov to see if a specific toy has been recalled.
    Be wary of cheaper toys — like those from vending machines or street fairs — and especially plastic jewelry. If you notice that your child is putting a toy in her mouth frequently and you’re not absolutely sure it’s lead-free, take it away. To lower the risks of poisoning, make sure that your child is playing with age-appropriate toys that he’s not at risk of swallowing.
    Don’t let your kids play with older toys if you don’t know they’re lead-free. That can mean declining hand-me-downs and toys purchased at garage sales or thrift stores. Remove any toy with chipped paint.
    The safest choices for toys are unpainted wood, stuffed animals, and books.

Lead in Water Pipes
    10%-20% of childhood lead poisoning is caused by contaminated drinking water. It might not surprise you that old plumbing — especially from 1930 or earlier — can contain lead. Some pipes were actually made of lead, and brass fixtures can also contain some lead.
    Here’s what is surprising: pipes in very new homes are potentially a greater risk for lead. Some plumbers still use lead solder to join copper pipes, which exposes the water directly to lead. The risk is highest in houses that are less than five years old; after that, mineral deposits build up in the pipes that insulate the water from the lead in the solder. According to the EPA, you should assume that any building less than five years old has lead-contaminated water.
    Private wells can also be contaminated by lead in pump components or the well seal. Although pipes inside a home are usually the source of lead poisoning, sometimes lead comes from old pipes in the street that supply the water to your home.
    What You Can Do: Contact your local health department or water utility to find out how you can get your water tested for lead.
    If the source of the lead is in your home it — in pipes, solder, or well equipment — and you can’t afford to remove it, take other precautions.
    Only use cold water for cooking or drinking — or for making baby formula — because hot water is more likely to contain higher lead levels. If you haven’t used a faucet in the last six hours, flush it out for one to two minutes before drinking or cooking with it. The longer water has been sitting in the pipes, the more lead it can absorb.

You can also consider a filter that has been proven to remove lead by an independent testing organization, like NSF international.
    Other Tips for Reducing Lead Poisoning Risks
    If there’s lead in your home — or there might be — taking some simple precautions can reduce your child’s risks.

• Keep your home clean. Try to control dust in your house. Regularly wipe it up with a wet sponge or rag, especially in areas where friction might create dust from paint, like drawers, windows, and doors.
    • Don’t track lead in from outside. Take off your shoes as you enter the house.
    • Keep your child’s hands clean. Many children who get lead poisoning transfer lead from their hands to their mouths. Get in the habit of washing your child’s hands frequently.
    • Wash toys, pacifiers, and bottles regularly. Anything that goes in your child’s mouth needs to be clean.
    • Eat a healthy diet. Children who eat healthier diets seem to absorb less lead than children who don’t.
    • Make sure your kids have the recommended lead tests. Since lead poisoning has no symptoms, it’s the only way to make sure that they haven’t been affected. Routine testing is recommended for children younger than age 5. Ask your doctor about whether or not your older children should also be tested.
    WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Hansa D. Bhargava, MD on September 14, 2015
    Sources
    SOURCES:
    California Department of Education.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Environmental Protection Agency.
    © 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved

20. Bill July 13, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Hi Richard,

This wasn’t testing for leeching. I don’t think anyone is saying anything about it not passing Prop 65 as a result of this and I’m sure it’s safe enough for normal use. However, it was advertised as being free of heavy metals and much safer than traditional pots so having quite a bit of lead isn’t appealing even if it doesn’t leach much. It’s true that metal pots leach some metals too but you’d need a lot of nickel and chromium to be on par with even the tiniest amount of lead. It’s also not in the scope of this site (which is focused on lead).

Also, the way testing usually works, one bad sample does indeed invalidate a batch. It only takes one for there to be a concern. It’s more that 100 samples don’t guarantee safety. For example, if you have 100 safe chicken eggs from a batch of several thousand, it doesn’t mean that they’re all safe, just that it’s likely that they would be. On the other hand, if you find even one salmonella infected egg, you’re probably throwing away the entire batch even if you had 100 good samples before that.

• Tamara July 13, 2017 at 10:20 pm #

Thank you for chiming in!

21. Richard Bergstrom July 13, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Bill: Thank you for understanding that our ceramic cookware was not proven to leach lead. When people here in the world hear the word lead they get very concerned. That is why I have sent 13 years making a ceramic product that is free of any extractable heavy metals or lead. It is impossible to say that any item is completely 100% free of lead all the time because the very air we breath contains lead. The water in your home may contain lead. There can even be lead in the heating and cooling system of the testing lab. The key is to that the lead is not capable of leaching which we have done for over 13 years which is required by the FDA and California Prop 65. We believe in the validity of those tests reports because we have certificates from the laboratories that prove that our cookware passes every test. I am not quite sure that you egg example is relevant or comparable to our cookware example. We did not fail the any test. Salmonella infection, or salmonellosis, is a bacterial disease of the intestinal tract. Salmonella is a group of bacteria that causes typhoid fever, food poisoning, gastroenteritis, enteric fever and other illnesses. People become infected mostly through contaminated water or foods, especially meat, poultry and eggs. If we use the same formula for our ceramic cookware for 13 years and we pass every test then there is not a chance of contamination for lead or metals. We fired our cookware at 2500F for 24 hours. We manufacture thousands of pieces cookware each year and in the past 13 years there has never been one report of metal or lead toxicity from any agency or consumer about our cookware – never. I thank you for you concerns and I only ask that you contact all of the other cookware manufacturers in the USA and ask them to show you their testing reports for the past 13 years? Let me know how many company owners respond back to you and provide you with those test results. Please have a nice summer. Rich Bergstrom – http://www.cramcor.com or rich@ceramcor.com

22. Richard bergstrom July 14, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Typo in my last email. http://Www.Ceramcor.com My email address is Rich@ceramcor.com.
    Please email me if you want to know about the toxicity of metal cookware. Even stainless steel can be toxic!!!!!!! Yikes.

23. Richard Bergstrom July 14, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Everybody – I gave you the wrong web address in the post above. It should be http://www.ceramcor.com and my e-mail address is rich@ceramcor.com. I welcome all e-mails asking me out our “Pure” Xtrema ceramic cookware. Here is a link to our new testing page. Please take you time to read about all articles about the dangers of metal toxic toxicity:

24. Richard Bergstrom July 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

Everybody – New tests reports are coming in from the USA and Hong Kong and our product and bottom label have both passed the California Prop 65, FDA and USA water test for extractable lead and cadmium. All of the reports will be posted by August 10th if not sooner. This is wonderful news and this continues to prove that Xtrema cookware is the safest “Pure” ceramic cookware in the world. Rich Bergstrom at http://www.ceramcor.com 🙂

25. Krystyna August 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

Is there an update with this and why lead was found? If it didn’t have lead then it should have tested clean therefore for some reason or other this product DOES have lead.

26. K August 28, 2017 at 7:40 am #

I hear you loud and clear. In my opinion, your concern was not addressed nor supported with sufficient evidence to deny your findings. Your work, specifically related to lead, was helpful to me in my personal search for the healthiest cookware for my family.

27. Cari August 31, 2017 at 11:36 am #

I am wondering if the Xtrema label pots and pans would be found to have lead in the label? I have and use nothing but the Ceramcor, Xtrema for pans and pots. Well, I do have Lodge products at camp, they are cheaper. So, have you tested the label from Xtrema? I hated to read this. I have a lot of money invested in these pans. They look to be the safest around.

28. Cari September 20, 2017 at 7:12 am #

Hello, I was trying to ask again to see if I would receive a response this time. I have these pots and pans but they have a different label on them. I bought mine directly from Ceramcor. The labels on my cookware says Xtrema, it is a different color and everything from the Dr. Mercola sold ones. I know they are the same cookware but the labels are different. I am wondering if the different labels had been Tested? Thanks

• Tamara September 20, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

I have tested several of the different labels (red and white, different branding, etc.) and all have been high lead – in the THOUSANDS of parts per million.

• Cari September 20, 2017 at 9:11 pm #

Oh no! Is there an easy way for me to do a test at home and see as well? I replaced almost everything pot and pan with these spending a lot of money of them, thinking I was helping my family. The labels on our sets were black and red.

29. Cari September 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm #

Another thought, if these were suppose to have been so safe, is there any pots and pans that are truly safe with all metals and leaching?

30. Emily September 23, 2017 at 12:44 am #

So, he disappeared?:) I don’t trust anything made in China. Green Sprouts is one good example why, here is another…

31. Jackie Garcia October 18, 2017 at 10:40 pm #

Hello Tamara,

Have you looked into this product? http://www.titaniumcookwarecollection.com/

Guarantees no heavy metals.

32. Ewelina MS November 5, 2017 at 4:18 am #

Thank you Tamara for all you do! My pan was tested, and I stopped using the set I had. Almost 90 ppm on the inside, not mentioning the bottom label, is still worrisome. Even if it doesn’t leach, it still touches the food, and I have a problem with it. I’ve been following this blog entry and was hoping for a concrete uptade from Richard. Another leaching test was done but no XRF testing from the company. Disappointing but not surprising.

• Cari November 5, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Ewelina, how did you test your pans accurately? I was also hoping for a concrete answer, I’m not sure of what but of something. I did message the company. I got an answer back about their testing results passing and that I shouldn’t believe Tarama’s website basically.

• Ewelina MS November 6, 2017 at 2:52 am #

Tamara actually tested my pan. I also contacted the company, and had an interesting email exchange basically telling me to trust their results not Tamara’s.

33. Irene Kay November 27, 2017 at 4:08 pm #

A lot of this thread has gone over my head, I am nowhere near an expert but I am concerned that there would be any sort of lead label on the cookware that is supposed to be free of dangerous toxins, even if it doesn’t leach into my food.

I know this cookware is leagues better than any nonstick cookware, however can someone clarify?
    If I buy Mercola or Xtrema ceramic cookware, will I see a lead label on it? I don’t want to be disappointed with my purchase and have been scouring the internet for the safest cookware, but any lead on the exterior would be disappointing to me.

34. TA December 1, 2017 at 2:52 pm #

Ouch. This is so upsetting. Was just looking for 100% ceramic pots and was checking reviews when I got on this forum. Thanks everyone. It’s been an eye opener

Quite worrying that Richard has not been responding of late.

It will be a big investment for me to go 100% ceramic but want to be sure I’m not just robbing the stainless steel I have now to pay for Ceramic with lead.

So please what other 100% Ceramic option do we have?

Thanks