My Personal KitchenAid Mixer

KitchenAide Mixer Blade & Dough Hook: Between 600 – 800 ppm lead!!!

This is MY KitchenAid – from my wedding to my ex-husband in 1994. I had tested the blue part before and it was negative and before testing the blades from my friends’ mixers it NEVER occurred to ME to test my own blades (doh!) – they were positive – like the others I have tested.

The level of lead that is considered unsafe for an item intended for children is 90 ppm lead. Items like this are not regulated for total lead content (as detectable with an XRF instrument.)

I am NOT saying that this item will poison you, but I AM asking… why is there any lead at all in our kitchen items? Especially newly or recently manufactured kitchen items? Lead is one of the most potent neurotoxins known to man, it causes permanent brain damage in young children and does not belong in our kitchens.

Check out this blog post for a lead-free alternative.

And this blog post for more safer choices for your home!

#XRFTesting

mykitch

11 Responses to My Personal KitchenAid Mixer

1. Amelia April 18, 2017 at 10:54 pm #

Hi Tamara, I am wondering if you can weigh in on this. We have a Kenwood chef sense mixer that cost a lot and which I am very happy with! However, I noticed recently that the spinning part where the attachment goes into on top seems to have a brass coloured washer around it (the actual part appears to be steel I think), so I assume the washer is brass. I don’t think there is direct contact with food or the attachment but what do you think about lead dust that the brass washer may create contaminating food or am I overthinking things as lots of people have mixers, lots of mixers have brass washers and people seem fine? I will love to be able to be able to continue using the mixer as we bake a lot… but am just a little iffy now about the brass washer.

Thank you!

2. hope November 25, 2017 at 9:23 am #

What about kitchen aid’s stainless steel versions of these blades? You can buy them separately.

• Tamara November 25, 2017 at 10:17 am #

Those are generally fine, although sometimes the top nut (attachment point) is not stainless and tests positive for lead.

3. haydi March 26, 2018 at 8:30 am #

what is it thats testing positive for lead the powder coating or the aluminum?

• Tamara April 15, 2018 at 12:32 pm #

Both the white powder coated components test positive and the bare metal style components. I have not removed the surface coating from any of the paddles to test it separately, but both styles have been positive for high levels of lead.

4. Cortney November 26, 2018 at 5:16 pm #

Hi,

I had two questions for you. Do you still use your Kitchen Aid Mixer, and do you know if there is a dough hook that doesn’t test positive for lead?

• Tamara November 26, 2018 at 8:17 pm #

I use it very rarely and mostly use it with the whisk.

5. Pedro Pena December 6, 2018 at 6:39 am #

I have a silver kitchen aid mixer and I really love it but now I’m leary about using it. What other attachments can I use that are lead free? I recently bought some attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer that has P65 Lead and now I’m freaking out. Can you please shed some light on this?

• Tamara December 6, 2018 at 10:19 am #

I heard that as of this year the company is now selling a stainless steel attachment set, but I have not tested it yet.

6. Kimberly December 6, 2018 at 1:04 pm #

I was always wanting a stand mixer, but now I’m not so sure. Is it just the attachments that have tested positive for lead? Or are parts of the stand mixer itself as well. Thanks!!

7. Amanda March 13, 2019 at 1:08 pm #

I have a commercial kitchen aid mixer that has stainless attachments. Does stainless steel ever contain lead? Thanks for answering my question!

Amanda