#LeadFree Clear Glass Dishware Choices

#AskTamara

Question: Tamara are there any modern clear glass dishes that are also lead-free?

A: Yes!  While vintage glassware is often positive for lead, and even some new clear glass products can test positive for trace* amounts of lead, there are several brands of clear glass dishware that I have tested that have been consistently negative for lead (not even a trace of lead down to the single digit parts per million when tested with an XRF instrument.)

My main tips for purchasing modern glassware that is likely to be lead-free:

• make sure it is absolutely clear — not even a hint of tint (especially the clear light green or blue tint that is often found in recycled glass items.)
  • Avoid recycled glass items if you want to avoid lead. Despite its environmentally-virtuous appeal, dishware (or anything) made from recycled glass is, for obvious reasons when you stop to think about it, often positive for at least trace* amounts of lead, regardless of the tint or color or lack thereof [and sometimes at levels that are considerably higher than “trace*”].
*By trace I mean that it is a (generally lower-levels) contaminant to the product as a result of the manufacturing process, not a (generally much higher-levels) intentional additive. The companies that make most of these products are not intentionally adding lead to their recycled glass products.

Here are the links to products from the three brands that I would consider #SaferChoices when purchasing new/modern glassware. Again, all of the modern versions of clear glass plates from the following brands that I have tested have been lead-free (each of the links below is to a product from this brand on Amazon):

Libbey
Anchor Hocking
Duralex

For more lead-safe / lead-free dishware options, click here.

Some of the links on this page may be Amazon Affiliate links where a purchase made after clicking may generate a small commission for me without costing you any extra!

10 Responses to #LeadFree Clear Glass Dishware Choices

1. Kayleigh February 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm #

I just came across your website this week and I’m greatly appreciative of all you’re doing! I was very interested in these duralex products after seeing them here but in researching them further I read that they may contain barium oxide. As I understand it barium oxide can also be harmful to health. I’m planning to try to confirm this with the company.

• LD March 6, 2018 at 7:41 am #

Any feedback from the company?

• Kayleigh March 6, 2018 at 4:03 pm #

LD, I haven’t heard back from them yet. I did notice that on one of Tamara’s posts she said that one of their cups showed no barium in the xrf testing but that I saw she only noted that in one set of cups & not on any of the other Duralex products she tested…so we’re they all barium free or did the bulk of them contain some level of it? I’m not sure. I’ll let you know if I hear back from duralex…

• Tamara March 6, 2018 at 9:22 pm #

I think some may have had barium, but that’s not something I usually track. I will keep an eye out for more to test!

• Kayleigh March 7, 2018 at 10:24 am #

Thanks, Tamara!

2. Kayleigh March 8, 2018 at 4:21 pm #

I heard back from Duralex! They say no barium! They sent me a few documents regarding their glass composition even. Here’s what they say is in their glassware:

Silicon dioxide 69-74%
    Aluminum oxide 1-2%
    Sodium oxide + potassium oxide 11-16%
    Calcium oxide + magnesium oxide 10.5-14.5%

Given the amount of info they were willing to share I’ll be ordering some of their mugs to test out!

3. Linda Osbourne April 26, 2018 at 2:55 pm #

Tamara,
    Are the Lauryn Janae glass bowls safe from lead as well? Purchased these, never heard of lead in glass except painted/glazed or lead crystal~

Lauryn Janae Premium 6.5″ inch Classic Stackable Nested Clear Glass Tablesetter, Serving, Baking, Mixing Bowls (Set of 3)

Similar I believe:

• Tamara April 26, 2018 at 11:19 pm #

I have not tested this brand, but clear glass (with no markings) is generally a good choice.

• Linda Osbourne April 27, 2018 at 6:44 am #

Thanks, what about dollar general glassware, glasses and glass plates that are clear glass?
        Thanks!

• Tamara April 27, 2018 at 9:56 am #

Those are generally fine [lead-free, lead-safe], as long as they are clear glass and not being sold and marketed as “leaded crystal”,