For those new to the Lead Safe Mama website:
Tamara Rubin is a multiple-federal-award-winning independent advocate for childhood Lead poisoning prevention and consumer goods safety, and a documentary filmmaker. She is also a mother of Lead-poisoned children (two of her four sons were acutely Lead-poisoned in 2005).
- Tamara owns and runs Lead Safe Mama, LLC — a unique community collaborative woman-owned small business for childhood Lead poisoning prevention and consumer goods safety.
- Since 2009, Tamara has been conducting XRF testing (a scientific testing method) using the exact instrumentation employed by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to test consumer goods for toxicants (specifically heavy metals — including Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Antimony, and Arsenic).
- Since July of 2022, the work of Lead Safe Mama, LLC has been responsible for 5 product recalls (FDA and CPSC).
- Recent notable press… There has been too much to mention already in 2024! Please check out our press page to see some of the amazing coverage of our work so far this year!
What has Lead in it?
Why is Lead so prevalent in our environment?
Originally Published: August 18, 2013
Updated: February 24, 2024
While the most pressing concerns (the sources of lead most likely to poison a child) are lead in house-dust (from deteriorating paint and from renovation and repainting projects), and lead in soil (from legacy Leaded gasoline use as well as contamination from construction, renovation and repainting projects), parents have many other concerns and questions about potential sources of Lead exposure for their children.
Below are links to some specific articles (as well as links to categories of articles) discussing the concern for Lead (and other toxicants – including Mercury, Arsenic, Cadmium and Antimony) in the following topic areas:
Food-Contact Consumer Goods
- Pottery overview article (why Lead in pottery is a concern)
- Dishes Category of articles
- Mugs Category of articles
- Kitchenware Category of articles
- Le Creuset overview article
- Pots & Pans overview article
- Appliances Category of articles
- Vintage Pyrex Category of articles
- KitchenAid Products overview article
- The Lead Safe Mama Baby Bottle Guide
- Vintage Tupperware overview article
- Reusable Glass Milk Bottles overview article
- Green Glass Bottled Water – San Pellegrino overview article
Detailed Discussions on Specific Substances
- Titanium Dioxide overview article
- Stainless Steel overview article
- Brass Category of articles
- Crystal overview article (why Lead in Crystal is a concern)
- Gold with Mercury Contamination
- Mercury-Based Paint
- Cadmium – general concerns
- Food Category of articles
- Vintage books overview article
- Toys overview article
- Barbie Doll overview article
- Vintage Fisher Price Toys overview article
- Legos overview article
- Schools Category of articles (mostly my personal experiences with Lead in the Portland Public School System – PPS – in Oregon)
- Plastic Category of articles
- Soil Category of articles
This page is just a quick overview to use as a starting point for exploring this website. You may also want to check out the following links which are overviews with many other categories of links:
- The Lead Safe Mama Website Menu that has quick buttons to DOZENS of categories for items we have posted on the Lead Safe Mama Instagram profile!
- The “Start Here” post – good for parents who are starting to explore the issue
- The “Index” post – which includes links to lots of Lead-free items we have tested (and their test results.)
- For Lead-free choices to purchase on Amazon, please check out the Shop Lead Safe Mama website.
- The overview post for looking up your dishes!
- A short video that shows you how to efficiently search this website.
Thanks for being here. Thank you for reading and sharing articles on LeadSafeMama.com.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them personally as soon as I have a moment.
Owner – Lead Safe Mama, LLC