February 17, 2022 – Thursday
Below is the full exchange that I had with the Public Relations folks from Williams Sonoma yesterday. I share these types of communication threads with you (Lead Safe Mama readers) for a few reasons…
- By sharing these communications in a public forum it helps to alleviate some of the stress I personally feel were I to keep these types of communications to myself.
- I think the consumer deserves to know exactly how companies are responding to these findings and I like to have full transparency in sharing these communications with you.
- While I feel very strongly about exposing NEGATIVE (and inappropriate) communications from corporate representatives I also think that companies responding positively and proactively should get credit for doing the right thing, so I like to share those communications as well. I want all companies to expect that when they communicate with me their communications (and my responses) will be made public, because that adds another layer of accountability on both sides of the communication (it also means I am less likely to get emotional and spout off – and instead try to be as straightforward and business-like as possible – in spite of the tone of *some* of the posts I write for this website that may be a tad more emotional!)
With all of that said I want to say that I applaud these Williams Sonoma representatives for the thoughtful consideration of these initial communications. In spite of my general ire for the past business practices of this particular company as a whole, seeing such positive, open, receptive communications from their current representatives gives me some hope that this might be an exchange that could move the needle a bit in terms of the toxicant content of their future products.
I am also – separately – VERY THANKFUL that it was their public relations team I heard from, not their lawyers. I think that shows a level of respect and “grown-up-ness” [I’ll find a good word to replace that with!] that is a good sign for the direction this exchange might take from this point forward. Said another way: when a company’s first reaction is to send their lawyers at me (for simply sharing science-based findings and concerns about their products) … that always seems to start the communications off on the wrong foot (and their customers [YOU!] don’t respond well to that too!)
This communication exchange (in full, below) also gives Lead Safe Mama readers a good sense of the time, energy and attention to detail (and research) that I put into each of these exchanges. Thanks for reading! Thanks for being here! Thank you for supporting this work in ALL of the ways!
Owner – Lead Safe Mama, LLC
As a little index of what follows below here is a list of the communications (in the order that they were received / sent:
- February 14, 2022 – The Lead Safe Mama e-mail newsletter about the dish in question. [Apparently there’s a Williams Sonoma employee on my e-mail newsletter list! ;-)]
- February 16, 2022 – 9:10 a.m. The first email I received from Williams Sonoma Public Relations
- February 16, 2022 – 9:53 a.m. – My initial response
- February 16, 2022 – 10:12 a.m. – My first P.S.
- February 16, 2022 – 11:10 a.m. – My second P.S. [P.P.S.]
- February 16, 2022 – 11:12 a.m. – Williams Sonoma response to my three e-mails above
- February 16, 2022 – 11:29 a.m. – My final response to Williams Sonoma yesterday
- The 10-page report that Williams Sonoma sent me with the initial email
And with that, here’s the full exchange (as a series of screenshots):
Item #1) February 14, 2022
The Lead Safe Mama e-mail newsletter about the dish in question.
Item #2) February 16, 2022 – 9:10 a.m.
The first email I received from Williams Sonoma Public Relations
Item #3) February 16, 2022 – 9:53 a.m.
My initial response
Item #4) February 16, 2022 – 10:12 a.m.
My first P.S.
Item #5) February 16, 2022 – 11:10 a.m.
My second P.S. [P.P.S.]
Item #6) February 16, 2022 – 11:12 a.m.
Williams Sonoma response to my three e-mails above
Item #7) February 16, 2022 – 11:29 a.m.
My final response to Williams Sonoma yesterday