This Spring has been the most amazing time for my advocacy work!…
… and now I have the opportunity to own my own instruments!
Normally for any XRF testing I do – I rent an instrument. For a handful of my outreach events, I have been able to use a loaned XRF instrument – from an organization that is run by a person who has been very supportive of my work. That organization has offered for me to officially assume ownership of two instruments they no longer need (instruments that, when new, were truly state-of-the art — and likely cost in the neighborhood of $35,000 EACH!) I am familiar with each of these particular instruments, which I have previously used for events over the years, and the “token” price of $2,000 for these really amounts to a generous gift in support of my work by the organization offering them to me (as even used, these instruments generally sell for considerably more than that)!
This opportunity actually came together at the end of February, but I hadn’t yet posted about it because of everything that has happened with CoViD-19. In the beginning of March (as things began to fall apart and I was facing potentially cancelling my entire work trip for April) it was suddenly not an appropriate time to ask for contributions in support of my work or to ask that people hire me!
In spite of the chaos that our world is in right now, I am daily reminded of the urgent importance of my work (even as it relates to each crisis that has hit our nation) – and I do need to go ahead and finalize this opportunity if there is any way that might make it possible. This is a tool of primary and central importance in my work holding companies accountable and helping families, and it doesn’t make sense to hold this up any longer.
Potential additional costs involved (just to be realistic)
I anticipate one or both of the instruments may likely need to be serviced and factory firmware and/or software upgrades purchased (I have not yet had the opportunity to have them evaluated), so there will likely be additional costs. Servicing, updates and repairs for these instruments can range from $3,500 to $10,000 (or more). The opportunity to be able to acquire two instruments at once is really great, as I will not be reliant on a single instrument in the event of a breakdown (or need for periodic routine service). Each is a non-radioactive-source XRF instrument, but I will still need to pay a registration fee to the State of Oregon as well – for the instruments to officially be stationed here in Portland.
Not all U.S. states require registration for non-radioactive source (tube-based) instruments in all cases [many don’t require any registration for tube-based instruments at all, and others grant registration exceptions for short visits, demonstrations, state sponsored events, etc.] – but once full ownership of these instruments is finalized for my business, then for states that do require it, Lead Safe Mama, LLC (as the official new owner) will be able to register the instrument with the appropriate agencies for those states. This means I will likely be able to do outreach events (with a focus on consumer goods testing) in states (& possibly even in countries?) where I have not previously been able to do that. (YAY!)
Here’s what I need to raise to finalize all of the details of this miraculous opportunity:
- $2,000 – for the instruments(!!!!)
- $380 – Oregon registration fees (estimated total to register both instruments)
- (ideally) $3500 towards potential servicing costs (to get at least one of the instruments evaluated and serviced – with updated software (in tip top shape?)
- (and in a perfect world!) …. $2,750 – the amount I have negotiated to pay off my outstanding XRF rental bill — if I can pay it in full by June 10th! [If this comes together, I may never have to rent an instrument again – and I would really love to close out my relationship with the rental company at the same time.]
- Total goal: $8,630
Ways you could help make this possible:
- Hire me for a future event or consultation (or for an online / zoom speaking engagement for your group, class or organization!) Here’s a link about hiring me.
- Contribute to my advocacy work via GoFundMe, PayPal, Venmo or otherwise. Link about that here.
- Make a loan to my business [e-mail me – TamaraRubin at Mac dot com – to talk about possibilities!] Right now a business loan in the neighborhood of $20,000 would make a huge difference in moving forward with (and finishing) several projects and opportunities, including getting the perpetual XRF instrument rental challenge handled!
Having my own personal instruments I can rely on (and knowing I no longer have to contend with the huge burden of exorbitant rental fees) – is an incredible opportunity that will increase my ability to help families (making it possible for me to help more families for free [or on a sliding scale] – as well as to continue to do public and private community-focused outreach events with community groups, hospitals, State Health Departments and others). Owning these instruments will also make it possible for me to start working in my home state of Oregon again – doing consumer goods testing and outreach events locally (something I have not done for several years now)! Owning these instruments will also make it possible for me to save up for my ultimate goal: the purchase of an XL5 (the current state-of-the-art flagship model, recently introduced by the company – that is also substantially lighter, and thus easier on my poor old wrists after a long day of testing!)
As always, Thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.
Please let me know if you have any questions.