Updated; January 15, 2021
(Rates & Minimums Subject To Change)
Tamara Rubin, an internationally-recognized expert on childhood Lead-poisoning and its prevention, has won numerous awards (including two from the federal government) for her pioneering work in raising awareness of household exposure to neurotoxic Lead (and other heavy metal toxicants) and safe work practices in remodeling and remediation – and is the only person ever to win the national “Healthy Homes Hero Award” (pictured above) — presented to her in 2011 by a consortium of federal agencies (HUD, USDA, USDoE, CDC & EPA) at the National Healthy Homes Conference in Denver, for her ground-breaking consumer advocacy in raising awareness about the dangers of residential Lead exposure.
Tamara became an advocate and activist for Lead poisoning prevention after her children were acutely poisoned at their home in Portland, Oregon in August of 2005. In early 2012 she gave up a career as a successful computer consultant and database designer to do Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention advocacy full time.
Since December of 2016 she began working under the name “Lead Safe Mama” as an independent advocate and consumer goods watchdog, with a focus on consumer goods testing and reporting the results of this testing here on the #LeadSafeMama blog, incorporating officially as “Lead Safe Mama, LLC” just over a year later – in January of 2018.
- 2016: Tamara was recognized as one of the key whistleblowers in the Portland Public Schools (PPS) Lead-in-water legal case, for her work exposing the PPS administration’s knowledge and active participation in allowing children to drink Lead-contaminated water from school fountains without taking any action to remediate the Lead hazards (nor alerting the parents of this concern).
- 2017: In the summer of 2017 her work finding Lead in the popular fidget spinner toys went viral and was later covered by CBS This Morning in November of 2017 (link).
- March 2019: With her discovery and reporting of Lead (and Cadmium, Arsenic, and Mercury) in vintage Tupperware products in March of 2019, nearly 1,000,000 unique individuals from all over the globe visited the blog in a single month. [See the stats summary for March 2019 here!]
- January 2021: In 2020 (in spite of Internet users being wholly consumed by the news of the CoViD-19 pandemic), the total number of unique visitors to the Lead Safe Mama blog (per Google Analytics) exceeded 1.1 million people for the second year in a row – with these individuals coming from more than 200 countries (link) – see image below & click here to see some more of the fun stats.
Recent News Coverage & Interviews
(will update with 2020 and 2021 shortly!)
- August 30, 2019 – New Idea Food, Australia
- August 28, 2019 – Truthout (USA)
- August 25, 2019 – Yahoo Style U.K.
- August 23, 2019 – The Sun (U.K.)
- August 16, 2019 – 7 News Australia
- August 1, 2019 – Better Homes & Gardens, Australia
- July 25, 2019 – New Idea Food, Australia
- July 23, 2019 – Vice (USA)
(2020 has been a more quiet press year with CoViD-19 taking over the interwebs!)
The TamaraRubin.com / LeadSafeMama.com blog has more than 2,700 posts and pages with information and resources specifically on the subject of Lead, childhood Lead poisoning prevention, Lead in schools, Lead-safe work practices in renovation, Lead in consumer goods (consumer goods test results), and more.
Over the past 14+ years, Tamara’s writings have been published and quoted widely and the #LeadSafeMama website (which features extensive database of consumer and household goods she has tested) serves as a trusted source – a virtual encyclopedia – on these topics, which together with her social media channels (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram), newsletters and blog, have earned her a large (and loyal!) Internet following.
Public and Private Speaking Engagements
Since her first speaking engagement at the Western States Lead Poisoning Prevention Conference in Seattle in 2007, Tamara has partnered with dozens of public health agencies and other businesses and organizations on collaborative outreach events for childhood Lead-poisoning prevention awareness. This has included headlining at professional conferences; she is also a popular keynote speaker and presenter at events hosted by medical schools, fortune 500 corporations, and civic groups throughout the U.S.
Speaking engagement highlights range from presenting alongside presidential candidate Bernie Sanders in Flint, Michigan and serving as an opening speaker for renowned environmental activist Erin Brockovich. Her popular “lunch and learn” enterprise speaking engagements have included collaborative events at the Corporate Headquarters of Nike, Seventh Generation, and SC Johnson Wax. To read more about Tamara’s speaking engagements and collaborative outreach events, click here.
One-on-One Home Consultations
& Testing Parties
Tamara visits families and communities at home – where they live, educating people about common environmental sources of Lead exposure – particularly those lurking in plain sight in our homes – and childhood Lead-poisoning prevention. Healthy Home Consultations are one-on-one sessions where Tamara helps folks detox their life by helping to identify which consumer goods and household items in their home are free of heavy metal toxicants (Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic and Antimony) and which are good candidates to eliminate from their homes. During these visits, she also gives great advice and support to help parents make #SaferChoices for their families moving forward, offering a unique set of information and tools (tailored to the families she visits) as guidelines to help them limit their family’s potential ongoing exposure to toxicants. To read more about Home Consultations, click here.
A Testing Party is like a one-on-one home consultation where the host invites friends to bring things to be tested (using XRF technology) and to help share the cost of the home visit. It ends up being a crash-course in metallic neurotoxicants commonly found in our homes — and how to avoid them. Testing parties often have between 6 and 10 participants – are usually a lot of fun and have often been compared to a “reverse Tupperware party” – where the outcome is not that the host and guests buy things, but rather that they end up getting rid of things in their homes that are potential or confirmed sources of heavy metal exposure. To read more about Testing Parties, click here.
Rates – in most cities:
(subject to change)
DAY RATES, United States
- Public Speaking Events: $5,500/ half day or $7,500 full day (up to three events in a full day, schedule permitting). $10,000 for two full days, with up to two events each day. [Travel time and travel costs included]
- Private Engagements: $2,000/day, plus $1,500 per travel day — depending on location; usually one to two travel days are necessary for a full day of consulting. Travel is normally calculated as originating from Portland, Oregon. For example, an East Coast private engagement might require two full travel days but a California private engagement would normally just require one full travel day. [Travel costs (flight, ground transportation, etc.) included]
- Corporate Consumer Goods Consulting: $5,000/full day [Travel time and travel costs included]
- Non-U.S. Locations: Rates can be discussed, and depend on travel time and additional cost factors.
Testing Parties & Private (one-on-one) Home Consultations*
Rates for 2021
- $350 to $500 per hour in most U.S. locations.
- Normally $350/hour for a 3-hour or 4-hour appointment ($1,050 to $1,400 total), or $400/hour for a 2 hour appointment (2-hour appointments are limited and are subject to availability and only possible if I am already in your area – within a 30 minute drive).
- Most events or consultations have a 3-hour minimum.
- Maximum consultation length: 4 hours.
- No charge for travel time if travel is less than 1 hr. total driving required.
- Longer minimum visits may be required (or a charge for travel time or a higher rate) depending on the anticipated travel time to your location.
- Normal Lead Safe Mama travel months are January, April and October each year.
- Payment must be made in advance to reserve your time and date.
- We can send you an invoice for payment, or you can use one of the electronic payment methods listed below.
- If travel time is greater than 30 minutes, 1/2 of round-trip travel time may be charged in addition to the time of the visit. [or a longer minimum site visit may be required – depending on the travel distance.]
- *Home Visit rates are for when Tamara is in your area already; if you would like to book Tamara to come to your city or state when she is not already going to be there (outside normal travel months of January, April and October each year), she needs to confirm a private engagement or public speaking engagement to bring her to the area OR at least 25 hours of aggregate home visits to make that possible [or 10 hours – for areas that are near a major California airport.] You could also opt for paying the day-rates listed above (to bring her to your area when she is not already scheduled to be there.)
- Included with your consultation is advance calls/communications with Tamara (to help you prepare for her visit), as well as follow-up questions answered via text, e-mail, or messenger (really pretty much “unlimited” – within reason!)
CoViD-19 Considerations for 2021 & 2022
- All consultations and in-person meetings will be done “CoViD-19 safe” – socially distanced and with masks, and – whenever possible – outdoors (in full or in part.)
- For times when I must be inside a building (or home) with a client I request that they open all the windows (for any rooms I will be in with other people) before I arrive and leave them open for the duration of our visit.
- Small community events are limited to 6 in-person attendees (socially distanced, with masks and active outdoor air circulation) unless otherwise restricted by local or federal mandate.
- Small community events may be live-streamed on the host’s social media channels with advance written permission only.
- My rate for small community events or consultations with businesses is $500 per hour – so $1,500 to $2,000 [Note: this rate may also apply for a home consultation if travel time is more than 2 hours each way / more than 4 hours total travel time].
- My normal in-person public speaking rate is $5,000 (including collaborative event promotion, administrative assistance and other related costs). [Unfortunately – but not surprisingly – I haven’t been hired to do any of these types of events since CoViD-19 hit!]
- My driving time (as well as my other travel and related costs) is included in my fees!
- For zoom presentations (classes, speaking engagements, etc.) my fee is $500 for a one-hour presentation or interactive discussion (this may include recording of the session with advance written agreement.)
- For personal phone or zoom consultations (one-on-one with families) my fee is $250 for a one-hour consultation (recording of the session is not allowed.)
- To tentatively reserve a time-slot and location for an in-person consultation, a 50% deposit of your fee is required. This fee is 100% refundable if – for any reason – your consultation is cancelled.
- The remaining 50% for an in-person consultation or event must be paid at least two weeks before your consultation to confirm. Due to CoViD-19 considerations this is also fully refundable if your appointment is cancelled for any reason (by either party.)
- All consultations (in person or virtual) and events must be paid for in full in advance to confirm a time-slot.
- Preferred payment method is Venmo: @TamaraERubin or Zelle to: 503-702-2708. PayPal is also an option.
Note: all income received via PayPal, Venmo and Zelle is reported as normal business income to Lead Safe Mama, LLC.
Legal disclaimer for private consultations:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Tamara is not a hazard assessor / risk assessor or home inspector. She does not normally provide any written reports with her work with families. If you need an inspection and a written report about your home by a hazard assessor (or other professional) please let us know and we will do our best to refer an appropriate local professional to you for those services.
Click here to read the refund policy.
This is linked in the footer on every page of this website.
Is Tamara visiting a friend who lives next-door to you (a home that is literally next to your home) and you want her to pop in for an hour? Please inquire about a “neighbor visit: (only for situations where there is literally no travel involved!)
Phone or video personal consultations are normally billed at $250 an hour, with a one-hour minimum. You can email photos and tests results (if that is what you have questions about) in advance of your call to TamaraRubin@mac.com. Please pay in advance to confirm your time slot (Venmo preferred: @TamaraERubin). More details about phone / zoom consultations here.
As always, thank you for reading. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Tamara Rubin & The Lead Safe Mama Team!