Originally Posted: January 29, 2017
Updated: June 7, 2021
Short Term Earnings / Fundraising Goal
(to cover anticipated June 2021 shortfall): $4,600.00
~ ~ ~
Contributions so far this week- week of June 7, 2021: $55.00
(contributed by three friends today)
Updated: Monday, June 7, 12:07 p.m.
Readers and friends often asked if they can “chip in” in support of the childhood Lead poisoning prevention advocacy work of the Lead Safe Mama team, – either just to say, “Thank You” – or to help in some small – or big – way (to help with a specific project, to help with the legal defense of this advocacy work, or just to help in general.)
The work we do here at Lead Safe Mama, LLC has always been a collaborative effort with our readers (with readers helping to direct what we test and write about and also helping to cover the cost of testing and other costs related to this advocacy). In this respect, we are truly a team and your contribution are always welcome!
We created this page to help make it easy for readers and friends to “chip in” when they have the ability to do so. There is a PayPal button below — but contributions can also be made via GoFundMe, Zelle or Venmo. All contributions (via any of these methods) are reported as income to Lead Safe Mama, LLC on our taxes each year.*
- Zelle: 503-702-2708
- Venmo: @TamaraERubin
- GoFundMe Link
- PayPal: TamaraRubin@mac.com
To see a specific (updated) list of costs we are working to cover (costs directly related to this advocacy work) please scroll down.*Lead Safe Mama, LLC is not affiliated with any nonprofit, and your contributions here will therefore not be tax-deductible – just very much appreciated! Click the “Pay Now” button below (to make a contribution in any amount via PayPal or using a credit card).
Tamara, what do you need to raise money for right now?
Updated June 7, 2021
#1) OngoingOperating Costs
Monthly goal to help with operating costs (in support of the testing we report on and other information we share here on this website) for Lead Safe Mama, LLC: about $4,000.00 a month- Including:
- Website Hosting Fees (ongoing): about $200/ month
- Website Maintenance, Security & Development (ongoing): approximately $400/ month
- Mailing List Fees (e-mail list/ ongoing): about $100 / month
- Bookkeeping / Accounting costs (ongoing): about $300 / month
- Toxic Product Storage (ongoing – for the book and museum exhibit): about $250/month
- Product Example Purchasing / Acquisition (intermittent – purchasing items for testing & reporting on for the blog): $200- $300 / month (depends on funds available).
- Postage / Shipping (ongoing): $200 to $400 /month
- Testing Supplies & Equipment (ongoing): varies – $1,000-$7,000/month
#2) Special Project Expenses
- A Travel Van: After an incredibly successful summer last summer (2020) driving cross country, visiting with families of Lead poisoned children who we had worked with over the years and helping new families along the way – we cemented our belief that we need to keep this show “on the road” as much as possible. We would like to buy a Lead Safe Mama travel van so we can spend 5 to 6 months a year driving across the United States helping families protect their kids from exposure to Lead (in person!)
- Estimated cost for this vehicle: $60,000 to $110,000 depending on the configuration.
- We are hoping to find a corporate sponsor to donate these funds or a friend of this work to lend the funds to purchase this vehicle (to be paid back out of corporate sponsorships and earned income.)
- Ten Minutes Tamara Video Series: We invested about $10,000 in Lead Safe Mama income into a prototype video series of interviews with parents of Lead poisoned children around the world! (There are interviews with families in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States so far.) We would like to find a production partner to expand this concept into a television series where we visit with and help families of Lead poisoned children. You can see the prototype videos here (they include a 3-part interview with Jon Fishman, drummer of the band Phish – who is also a parent of a Lead poisoned child): LINK
- I Make Women Cry & Throw Out Their Shit; a book: Years ago we did a kickstarter for a book on Lead in consumer goods. We even made a prototype of the book. We have since collected all of the items to be featured in the book and we have tested those items and posted the test results here on the blog. All that is left to do to complete the book is final photography and layout and printing. Costs to date have been more than three times what was raised in the Kickstarter, so we are looking for a partner to help us complete the book (including photography, layout and printing.) The book is not designed to pay for itself (not designed to be a money-maker) – it was designed to be an advocacy tool for parents of Lead poisoned children.
#3) Legal Team & Related Expenses
- My legal battle in defense of my advocacy work (started in 2016) has left me more than $300,000 in debt.
- Related to the legal battle, on August 28, 2019, we filed suit in Federal Court, suing the State of Oregon for 6 counts of Civil Rights violations against me – violations that collectively attempted to undermined my advocacy work and attempted to discredit me. You can read that full initial filing of the lawsuit by clicking here. The rest of the timeline is in the graphic below (from May 2021):
We’ve been chipping away at the debt out of earned income, in spite of the case dragging on….
As of November 2020 we have (somehow miraculously) already paid off about $70,000 in debt related to this case (the original total was closer to $400,000 owed) from earned income, but below is a breakdown of the more urgent things we still need to cover (the rest can wait until the lawsuit settles):
Our current goal to cover most urgent $ due for my legal team, loans from friends to cover those expenses & related costs (12/18/2020) is $90,000+ (see breakdown below.)
- $14,000+ for one attorney (for the concluded case against the State)
- $12,000+ remaining due for the legal team who handled the IRS investigative audit on my case
- $12,000+ remaining due for the legal team who handled my illegal arrest
- $52,000+ to repay loans from 10 friends / readers / fans to cover some of the costs of this ordeal
… and that’s still just a handful of the people and businesses that still need to be paid/repaid for supporting my work during this time (Total remaining outstanding debt at this moment is about $318,000.)
If you prefer to send a check you can do that too – address below! [& if you want to send a check directly to any one of my attorneys, let me know and I will get you their contact information! Thank you!]