The amount of Lead that is considered toxic (and illegal / unsafe) in newly manufactured items intended for use by children today, is anything over 90 ppm Lead in the paint or coating and anything over 100 ppm Lead in the substrate. Here’s a table from a recent (2015) study about toxicants found in vintage plastic toys. If you click on the table it will take you to a post with a link to the full study.
When tested with an XRF instrument this little doll had the following readings (tests done for a minimum of 60 seconds each, metals not detected in consumer goods mode are not listed).
Brown Plastic Hair:
- Lead (Pb): 539 +/- 12 ppm
- Cadmium (Cd): 50 +/- 7 ppm
- Mercury (Hg): 8 +/- 3 ppm
- Arsenic (As): 23 +/- 9 ppm
- Barium (Ba): 194 +/- 69 ppm
- Chromium (Cr): 128 +/- 30 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 21 +/- 4 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 566 +/- 24 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 870 +/- 161 ppm
Pink Plastic Face:
- Lead (Pb): 50 +/- 5 ppm
- Cadmium (Cd): 95 +/- 9 ppm
- Mercury (Hg): 14 +/- 4 ppm
- Arsenic (As): Non-detect
- Barium (Ba): 171 +/- 88 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 84 +/- 7 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 2,234 +/- 238 ppm
Green Plastic Body/Dress:
- Lead (Pb): 7,413 +/- 90 ppm
- Cadmium (Cd): Non-detect
- Mercury (Hg): Non-detect
- Arsenic (As): 107 +/- 42 ppm
- Barium (Ba): 212 +/- 85 ppm
- Chromium (Cr): 973 +/- 61 ppm
- Antimony (Sb): 152 +/- 22 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 392 +/- 14 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 646 +/- 180 ppm
These vintage Fisher Price Little People are more of a concern than some of the larger pieces (like houses and buses) because they can be easily popped in the mouth of a child during the course of normal play, and the faces are often painted with Lead paint, which can easily be ingested by a child. It just takes a microscopic amount of Lead to poison a child. You can read more about that here.
Thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.
Please let me know if you have any questions.