Summary: While this product was Lead-free when tested with an XRF instrument, one component was positive for trace (trace = very low levels) of Arsenic. There were also fairly high levels of Antimony in at least one component, which is often the case with electrical items (as Antimony is an ingredient in many fire retardants.) Please continue reading for additional images, links and specific full XRF test results for this product.
Tamara’s personal takeaway: While the Arsenic may not be bioavailable (given the levels are so low), I am uncomfortable with a product with the high levels of Antimony that this product had and I don’t think I would personally choose to use these in my home. I recommend thorough hand washing after installation (even though these were Lead-free.)
Click HERE for some more posts that discuss the concern for Antimony in consumer goods and food packaging.
Plug In Target Branded Warm White LED Philips Christmas Lights Strand With White Wire: Lead Free!!
This newly purchased (2018) set of Target branded “Philips” warm white indoor/outdoor mini lights strand (pictured above – with 60 lights and a white wire strand) was tested with an XRF instrument. It was not disassembled for testing, only accessible parts that one would normally touch when using them (installing them or operating them) were tested.
They had the following XRF readings (with all accessible components tested):
- Lead (Pb): Non-Detect / Negative
- Mercury (Hg): Non-Detect / Negative
- Cadmium (Cd): Non-Detect / Negative
Continue reading below the images…
The white wiring had the additional readings (image above):
(tested for at least 60 seconds)
- Antimony (Sb): 5,403 +/- 107 ppm
- Barium (Ba): 713 +/- 65 ppm
- Bromine (Br): 21 +/- 6 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 954 +/- 51 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 494 +/- 51 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 361 +/- 78 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 2,663 +/- 1,578 ppm
White plastic base of lights (image above):
(Arsenic results confirmed with multiple 60-second tests)
- Arsenic (As): 60 +/- 24 ppm
- Chromium (Cr): 198 +/- 124 ppm
- Antimony (Sb): 36,700 +/- 1,500 ppm
- Bromine (Br): 97,900 +/- 4,000 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 110 +/- 27 ppm
- Vanadium (V): 827 +/- 316 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 2,012 +/- 594 ppm
Hard white plastic part of plug (image above):
(Confirmed with minimum 60-second test)
- Antimony (Sb): 430 +/- 23 ppm
- Tin (Sn): 1,263 +/- 27 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 820 +/- 23 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 1,089 +/- 29 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 13 +/- 8 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 9,733 +/- 368 ppm
Metal prongs part of plug (image above)
- Zinc (Zn): 361,600 +/- 2,800 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 637,900 +/- 3,400 ppm
- To learn more about XRF testing, Click HERE.
- To see more lights from this brand, Click HERE.
- To see these exact lights on Target’s site, Click HERE.
- To see more Holiday lights I have tested, Click HERE.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.