Originally posted on Facebook in February of 2018

When tested with a high-precision XRF instrument, the center metal circular washer piece in this doTerra diffuser (pictured here), was found to be positive for 3,613 ppm Lead.

If you are new to this website and want to learn more about XRF testing, click here.

All test results that I report on this blog are accurate and replicable when using a high-precision XRF instrument designed for testing consumer goods. (Here’s more information about the specific instrument I use.)

All other components of the diffuser pictured were “non-detect” for Lead.

Question: Is this a problem?  Does this mean there is trace Lead in the oils being diffused by this device?

Answer: This was likely an oversight by the company [it is highly likely no one with the company (or independently) has done testing to determine if this sort of application is in any way safe or unsafe from a Lead perspective; sorry I don’t have a better answer for that question!] However I do think this would be a very easy thing for the manufacturer to improve upon (just by simply replacing the Leaded washer with a Lead-free one — perhaps stainless steel?)

Note: while this is not a CPSC violation — nor any other kind of current product safety violation, that I am aware of — personally, I would prefer, as a matter of principle, that things that were designed and marketed specifically with the intention of imparting health benefits be completely Lead-free (and free of other toxicants, as well).

If you are connected with doTerra, please share this with them. They seem like a responsible company that just might respond positively to this information, and find an unleaded replacement component to use instead.

To see a list of more things I have tested click here: https://tamararubin.com/2018/01/index/

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.

Additional pictures of the exact diffuser tested shown below:

Center washer in doTerra essential oil diffuser: 3,613 ppm Lead when tested with an XRF instrument. Center washer in doTerra essential oil diffuser: 3,613 ppm Lead when tested with an XRF instrument.

18 Responses to Center washer in doTerra essential oil diffuser: 3,613 ppm Lead when tested with an XRF instrument.

1. Lori Bourgeois December 29, 2018 at 7:19 pm #

Can I please ask, where did you purchase the diffuser from that you ran these tests on? I appreciate your time.

• Tamara December 29, 2018 at 8:11 pm #

This belonged to one of my readers. She purchased it directly from the company.
      – Tamara

• S December 31, 2018 at 7:12 am #

Why wouldn’t you purchase a brand new diffuser from the company and test it before running a potentially damaging report like this?

2. Susie December 30, 2018 at 9:24 am #

So, had it been used prior to your testing? It appears so since the disk shows some corrosion.

• Kara December 30, 2018 at 12:43 pm #

I own one of these as well. I dont think it matters if it has corrosion..a lot of diffusers will corrode over time..point is it contains lead. This was my favorite diffuser and the easiest to clean.. Im a little disappointed as I run my diffuser all of the time.

• Tiffany December 31, 2018 at 10:52 am #

What if the disk attached lead in this persons house. I recommend testing a brand new one

• Tamara December 31, 2018 at 11:17 am #

Hi Tiffany,

1) If that were the case I would not be finding lead consistently from these products shared with me by different people in different cities and different states (including products from different companies with similar components.)
          2) The levels of lead that I have found are far beyond what one might consider as a contaminant from someone’s home.

I’ll be writing a post with a little more information about this shortly.

Thank you for reading and for asking good questions!

3. Valerie Cantero December 30, 2018 at 10:57 am #

I have one of those! My grown children run them with my grandchildren.

• Betsy December 30, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

Have you ever tested a Gala Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser? I got mine as a gift. It says in small print right on the back of the box ‘warning’ cancer & reproductiveharm lead. Gift came from Hobby Lobby. Just wondering, we have no Grand children & are 60yrs old. Need to look in to how much lead is emitted. http://Www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. of course it came from china. Thanks for reminder to check it out. Betsy

• Tamara December 30, 2018 at 1:02 pm #

No – I haven’t tested that one yet!

4. Peter January 1, 2019 at 9:15 am #

Dear Mrs. Rubin.

I have one question. Since I am a chemist, I would like to know, how did you manage to measure concentration of lead 3,613 ppm with so high precission? When I tried to find the limit of quantification of lead by XRF spectrometry from scientific sources, the lowest number I found was 20 ppm. According to the number you mentioned, your limit of quantification is much lower and precission should be at least 1000 times higher. Can you mention at least one scientific source, which prooves, that the concentration you mentioned is possible to reach by your equipment?

Reference:
    Kadachi, A. N., & Al-Eshaikh, M. A. (2012). Limits of detection in XRF spectroscopy. X-Ray Spectrometry, 41(5), 350–354.

• Tamara January 1, 2019 at 12:52 pm #

Hi Peter,

Specifically look up /Google the capabilities of the Niton XL3T XRF used in consumer goods mode (as used by the CPSC to test for toxicants in consumer goods.) The XL3T XRF by Niton can test down to single digit ppm in consumer goods mode.

5. Lynn MR January 2, 2019 at 7:09 am #

Here is what dotERRA said in response to my inquiry:
    Thank you for your email and thank you for sharing your concerns. We are happy to report that Puzhan Life USA, LLC, has scientifically tested dōTERRA’s Petal Diffuser and found that it is in full compliance, and even exceeds much stricter FDA Food and Drug testing standards. We sincerely care about the overall health and wellness of all who use dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality essential oils and value outside review of our products to ensure superior quality standards. Our product team continues to work diligently to upgrade diffusers and other offerings as new components become available.

We hope that we have resolved this matter to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email, contact Member Services at 1-800-411-8151, or you can click here to chat with our live customer service. Have a wonderful day!

6. Katie Leadbetter January 2, 2019 at 5:05 pm #

Have you tested other discusses out there? This component looks very similar to the one in my diffusers from young living. I’m wondering if they all have washers with lead.

7. Andrea January 3, 2019 at 3:38 pm #

Did you test your water first? My guess is that the lead is coming from the aatwr