Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls: 23,300 ppm Lead

#Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls

Everybody’s grandmothers seems to have had these!

These butterfly pattern vintage “Corelle by Corning” (Made in New York) bowls tested positive for Lead at 23,300 ppm when tested with an XRF instrument (this is the reading of a test done directly on the decorative pattern elements on the outside of the bowl).

To learn more about the concern for Lead in dishware, Click HERE.

The plain white parts of these bowls (the base material / substrate) is generally Lead-free (and Cadmium-free too!) You can see the full XRF test results of a plain white Corelle bowl if you Click HERE.

To learn more about XRF testing, Click HERE.

For context: the amount of Lead that is considered toxic in an item intended for children (when tested with an XRF instrument) is anything 90 ppm Lead or higher in the paint or coating. [Or anything 100 ppm Lead or higher in the substrate / base material.]

There is no regulation limiting the total Lead content in dishware, as detectable with an XRF instrument. Modern dishware regulations focus on leach testing and other measures of toxicity, not XRF testing — yet.

Antiques and vintage items were also generally not regulated for the presence of toxicants (if regulated at all) to any levels that could be considered protective of consumers’ health using modern scientific standards.

Related: What should I do if my dishes test positive for lead? Click HERE.

A goal for my advocacy is that all dishware be required to test negative for Lead by any and all testing methodologies, including XRF testing.

If a toy is considered toxic for use by a child using a specific testing methodology (for example, toys are toxic for Lead with XRF readings in the following range: “90 ppm Lead and above”), why is it that this same testing methodology and standard is not used across the board for all consumer goods – especially dishware, which is used by humans of all ages (including children of all ages) and used across generations?

Every version of this “Butterfly” pattern that I have tested is either very high Lead OR very high Cadmium (which is also toxic/carcinogenic!) To learn more about the concern for Cadmium toxicity, Click HERE.

Most vintage Corelle pieces with printed decorative patterns are high in Lead. Click HERE to see some more examples of these pieces and their specific Lead readings (as detected with an XRF instrument.)

As a mother of Lead-poisoned children, I personally would never use this type of decorated dish in my home, and would prefer not to use it if I was visiting your home. [Keep some paper plates on hand in case I come visit!]

Do you want to find a modern, Lead-free Corelle pattern that is suitable and safe for you to hand down to YOUR grandkids? Check out these (they are my favorite Lead-free option on Amazon!)*

As always thank you for reading and for sharing my posts. Please let me know if you have any questions!

New to my page? Learn more about me and my work HERE.

*Amazon links are affiliate links. IF you choose to purchase something after clicking on one of my links I will receive a small percentage of what you spent at no extra cost to you! This helps to support my advocacy work and blogging! Thank you.#Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls #Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls

33 Responses to Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls: 23,300 ppm Lead

1. bmommyx2 April 18, 2018 at 11:28 pm #

This is very upsetting. My family had these exact dishes & we used them for years. They are probably long gone, but I can only wonder what damage they have done.

• Tamara April 18, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

My concern is always about the potential for leaded dishware to add to background lead levels in adults and children. While it may not cause an incidental acute poisoning, it could contribute to long-term, chronic, low level exposure – and this is exposure that might never be detected, because blood lead tests are done so rarely on adults. This could contribute quietly to things that are already known to have ties to lead exposure: increased risk of heart disease, increased risk of kidney disease, arthritis, early onset Alzheimers’, memory loss, fatigue, GI issues, etc.

2. Christine April 19, 2018 at 10:45 am #

I use these exact same ones now. I have 5 month old, 3 and 5 year old. I use the bowls in microwave and tea cups to feed baby his food. Our whole family has these! 🙁

• Tamara April 19, 2018 at 10:50 am #

Please consider getting a lead-free set to err on the side of caution! Modern clear glass or plain white Corelle are good options!

3. Erica April 19, 2018 at 6:43 pm #

Hi Tamara, I have both butterfly Corelle dishes and spice of life vintage pyrex dishes. Have you tested any of the Pioneer woman’s dishes? Most are very colorful ceramic dishes.is there a list of all lead safe dishes and toys that you or others have tested that I can use as a reference?

4. Jena April 26, 2018 at 4:49 pm #

What do you use to test the lead levels in the dishes? I’d like to check mine.

5. Susan Yakes June 20, 2018 at 3:01 pm #

What is corell doing for us. I have a set for 16. I am retired and cant afford to go buy more. I love corell. Please could you get a contact number for me. Thanks. ravenwolf50@outlook.com

• Tamara June 20, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

Which ones do you have?

6. Earl August 6, 2018 at 10:42 am #

Hi Tamara, I have Corelle country cottage set at home. Is it lead free? Thanks

• Tamara August 6, 2018 at 10:58 am #

I don’t know – I would have to see an image – and also know the year made (in order to make an educated guess.)

7. Earl August 6, 2018 at 11:57 am #

Hi Tamara. Here the link of the image my corelle set :
    tiny.cc/slhiwy
    Thanks

8. Lori R September 6, 2018 at 1:32 pm #

Hi Tamara, I use these dishes too so I’m really upset to read this. But since the plain white corelle seems to be lead free, I assume that the lead is in the paint on the pattern, is that right? And since the pattern is on the outside of the bowl, could it be considered safe to eat from the non-painted parts?

I wish I had the money to replace my set but I just don’t right now. Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

• Tamara September 6, 2018 at 4:38 pm #

Yes the lead or cadmium in these pieces is on the decorative component. The concern is if it is wearing at all. Where does the worn paint go? Into your sink? Dishwasher? Etc. Hold it up to the light and see if you can see if there are a lot of flecks worn off of it or not.

• Mya November 15, 2018 at 6:34 am #

So if the pattern isn’t worn at all they are safe?

• Tamara November 15, 2018 at 8:31 am #

I would not be comfortable feeding my family out of these bowls. They are likely safer than some glazed china options of the same vintage. However you can buy new ones for just a few dollars a bowl and I like to be “better safe than sorry.” I don’t think these bowls would specifically necessarily contribute to a child’s lead poisoning – but I don’t know and no one has studied things like that, so why take the risk. This article about similar painted markings on glassware might help provide useful context for you to help make that decision. https://tamararubin.com/2017/11/decorated-glassware/

9. Ro November 16, 2018 at 11:04 am #

Is the lead on the decorative pattern paint or does it exist through out? I know that doesn’t make it safe but I want to understand the specifics, and that may explain why it varies by pattern.

• Tamara November 16, 2018 at 3:17 pm #

Thank you for your question, Ro. It is in the pattern (the painted components of the bowl). I updated the post to make it more clear! Please let me know if you have any other questions.
      – Tamara Rubin

10. Debbie Stevens November 16, 2018 at 12:50 pm #

I have a very similar set of Corelle dishes, but in the green pattern. I got them when I got married. My mother had the exact same pattern of Corelle dishes when I was at home. I am 63 years old, so that’s a long time of eating off these dishes! Does this involve all the patterns of Corelle, or just this yellow color? Thanks.

• Tamara November 16, 2018 at 3:10 pm #

Each of the vintage patterns I have tested have been positive for high levels of lead and/or cadmium. What year were you married (What year did you get them?) Thank you!

11. Britta November 17, 2018 at 3:19 pm #

Ack! Ive been wondering about the dishes I have where the painted part is wearing of and it’s always made me feel a little nervous! If you have any info on my set, I would greatly appreciate it as we use them daily!
    They are Corelle by Corning bowls, plate and cups, probably made sometime around 1980 (my parents wedding set). The plates have a lime green line on the outside and in the center of the plate is yellow, blue and reddish flowers with the lime green color as leaves and stems.

12. Sharon Scarlett November 20, 2018 at 1:09 pm #

I have the butterfly Corell dishes. My mom passed away and I took them home. Should I throw them away?!

13. Patti Hansen November 20, 2018 at 9:43 pm #

Is the dangerous lead just on the vintage pieces like this? Or, is it on ALL printed Corelle pieces, such as the Corelle set I just bought about 2 yrs ago.