#Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls

Your grandmother had these, didn’t she?

These butterfly pattern vintage “Corelle by Corning” (Made in New York) bowls tested positive for lead at 23,300 ppm when tested with an XRF instrument.

The amount of lead that is considered toxic in an item intended for children (when tested with an XRF instrument) is anything 90 ppm lead or higher in the coating. There is no regulation limiting the total lead content in dishware as detectable with an XRF instrument. Modern dishware regulations focus on leach testing and other measures of toxicity, not XRF testing – yet. Antiques and vintage items were also generally not regulated (if regulated at all) to any levels that could be considered protective of consumers’ health using modern scientific standards.

A goal for my advocacy is that all dishware be required to test negative for lead by any and all testing methodologies, including XRF testing. If a toy is considered toxic for a child using one testing methodology (within a certain range: 90 ppm and above), why is that testing methodology and standard not used across the board for all consumer goods, especially dishware, which is used by humans of all ages and used across generations?

Every version of this “Butterfly” pattern that I have tested is either very high lead OR very high cadmium (which is also toxic/carcinogenic!) I personally would not use this type of decorated dish in my home and would prefer not to use it if I was visiting your home. [Keep some paper plates on hand in case I come visit!]

Do you want to find a modern lead-free Corelle pattern that is suitable and safe for you to hand down to YOUR grandkids? Check out these (they are my favorite lead-free option on Amazon!)*

Sincerely,

*Amazon links are affiliate links. IF you choose to purchase something after clicking on one of my links I will receive a small percentage of what you spent at no extra cost to you! This helps to support my advocacy work and blogging! Thank you.

#Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls #Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls #Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls

17 Responses to #Leaded: Vintage Corelle By Corning Butterfly Pattern Glass Bowls

1. bmommyx2 April 18, 2018 at 11:28 pm #

This is very upsetting. My family had these exact dishes & we used them for years. They are probably long gone, but I can only wonder what damage they have done.

• Tamara April 18, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

My concern is always about the potential for leaded dishware to add to background lead levels in adults and children. While it may not cause an incidental acute poisoning, it could contribute to long-term, chronic, low level exposure – and this is exposure that might never be detected, because blood lead tests are done so rarely on adults. This could contribute quietly to things that are already known to have ties to lead exposure: increased risk of heart disease, increased risk of kidney disease, arthritis, early onset Alzheimers’, memory loss, fatigue, GI issues, etc.

2. Christine April 19, 2018 at 10:45 am #

I use these exact same ones now. I have 5 month old, 3 and 5 year old. I use the bowls in microwave and tea cups to feed baby his food. Our whole family has these! 🙁

• Tamara April 19, 2018 at 10:50 am #

Please consider getting a lead-free set to err on the side of caution! Modern clear glass or plain white Corelle are good options!

3. Erica April 19, 2018 at 6:43 pm #

Hi Tamara, I have both butterfly Corelle dishes and spice of life vintage pyrex dishes. Have you tested any of the Pioneer woman’s dishes? Most are very colorful ceramic dishes.is there a list of all lead safe dishes and toys that you or others have tested that I can use as a reference?

4. Jena April 26, 2018 at 4:49 pm #

What do you use to test the lead levels in the dishes? I’d like to check mine.

5. Susan Yakes June 20, 2018 at 3:01 pm #

What is corell doing for us. I have a set for 16. I am retired and cant afford to go buy more. I love corell. Please could you get a contact number for me. Thanks. ravenwolf50@outlook.com

• Tamara June 20, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

Which ones do you have?

6. Earl August 6, 2018 at 10:42 am #

Hi Tamara, I have Corelle country cottage set at home. Is it lead free? Thanks

• Tamara August 6, 2018 at 10:58 am #

I don’t know – I would have to see an image – and also know the year made (in order to make an educated guess.)

7. Earl August 6, 2018 at 11:57 am #