#SaferChoices: Water Bottles, Baby Bottles & Sippy Cups

Of the many popular brands of the water bottles, sippy cups and baby bottles that I have tested, a surprising number of brands have had at least one product that has tested positive for (unsafe levels of) lead.

• I have found lead in the decorative paint and painted measuring markings on both metal and glass bottles.
  • I have found lead in the bottoms of the stainless and aluminum insulated bottles (fairly consistently – on the sealing dot in many brands of metal bottles that have a dimple in the center of the bottom).
  • Based on my extensive testing of other consumer products (not bottles) using the same type of materials and processes, I also have concerns for lead in some of the plastic parts that are painted with metallic colored paints (like chrome-look plastic.)

The recommended water bottles pictured below are the same as (or very similar to) ones that I have tested that have been consistently lead-free. These are also the same as (and/or similar to) bottles I use in my home with my family. These are the only brands I have tested MANY examples of and CONSISTENTLY found them to be lead-free. Other brands may claim to be – and may in fact be – lead free now but had lead in past years and so I am not yet personally confident that they will necessarily continue the same amount of rigor in their manufacturing processes (or supply chains oversight) on an ongoing basis.

Please note, these are my personal opinions and personal recommendations based on #XRFTesting I have done, personally.

I will add to the recommended products on this page as I test others that consistently test negative for lead.

If there is a bottle brand that you own that is not in the “recommendations” section of this page it is either because I have not tested it, OR not tested enough from that brand to make a recommendation either way, OR because I have tested it and I have found the brand to have lead on one or more occasions.

Brands that I have tested that have been positive for lead on at least one occasion: [Please note, I am not saying “this bottle will poison you” – in most cases the lead is not in a place that comes in contact with the contents. However, in many of these cases the lead is accessible to a child’s hands on the outside of the bottle, and often times the level of lead is quite high (for example solid lead solder used on the sealing dots of insulated bottles that is sometimes close to 100% lead and is often uncovered or has a seal or sticker that could be easily removed by a child.)

Hydroflask insulated water bottles (leaded sealing disk in center of bottom – Hydroflask representatives have told me they have removed the lead in recent years, but I have not yet tested a model that was lead-free. I am looking forward to testing their more recently-manufactured products.)
Pura Kiki insulated stainless baby bottles (exposed leaded sealing dot – manufacturer has said to several of my followers that the current model of their insulated stainless baby bottle is lead-free*; I have not yet tested the 2017 model.) [*see this post, this claim was determined to be untrue in April 2017.]
U-Konserve insulated travel cup (assumption of leaded sealing dot [high test in 4000 ppm range in center of bottom of cup], not exposed (it’s covered by solid silicone seal)). This is my favorite cup and I was so bummed! I will likely keep using it until such time as the silicone bottom starts to fall off, which it has shown no sign of doing.)
Planet Box insulated water bottle (exposed leaded sealing dot).
Healthy Human insulated water bottle (sealing dot covered by painted coating).
Green Sprouts sippy cup’s separate internal glass bottle (high lead content in paint used on the colored measurement markings which are painted on the outside of the inner glass part of the sippy cup).
• And lastly, WARNING: Vintage (c. 1980s) Waterford Crystal Baby Bottles have poisoned children. They are leaded crystal (generally more than 300,000 ppm lead), avoid them at all cost.

If you are interested in having me test one of your bottles, you can join one of our testing parties or host a testing party of your own. Please click HERE to learn more about #TestingParties and #HealthyHomeVisits.

Rule of thumb for purchasing water bottles:

• Don’t buy metal water bottles with decorative paint unless they are a known lead-free brand (like Kleen Kanteen). [Please note: MOST bottles sold today and manufactured as intended for children SHOULD be free of lead in the paint and coatings, HOWEVER the Green Sprouts sippy cup that I tested in January of this year shows that we cannot assume that is consistently the case, regardless of the legislative protections and standards in this area.]
  • Don’t buy metal water bottles with a small circular dimple (an indent that you can feel with your finger) in the center on the bottom of the bottle [unless it is a known lead-free brand] (because it may have very high levels of lead!).
  • Don’t buy metal water bottles with a center sticker or object on the middle of the bottom that might be covering a leaded sealing dot, especially if it looks like that sticker or seal may be able to be removed by a child. [This is usually only with insulated / double walled bottles.]
  • Do buy clear glass bottles withOUT painted markings.
  • Do buy stainless bottles withOUT painted markings or by brands that have consistently and repeatedly tested lead free.

Recommendations

The lead-free options below include BABY BOTTLE and SIPPY CUP options
that I have used for my own children.

Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links where a purchase made
after clicking will support this website without costing you extra!

Please click on the images to see the following lead-free water bottle choices on Amazon.

LIFEFACTORY GLASS BOTTLES
NOTE: Bottles manufactured for use by children and for adults from this brand have been tested

41UFi3YxHgL._AC_US320_QL65_ 413+GnAQHeL._AC_US320_QL65_ 41ESw-c3zdL._AC_US320_QL65_413dSuZxWtL._AC_US320_QL65_

KLEEN KANTEEN STAINLESS BOTTLES

31ZU6TFT3DL._AC_US320_QL65_ 31zkLE+ifXL._AC_US320_QL65_ 31FwB6-FjNL._AC_US320_QL65_ 31ANlShacwL._AC_US320_QL65_

SIGG ALUMINUM BOTTLES MADE FOR CHILDREN
[NOTE: I have not tested the SIGG Bottles made for adults, but tested and used this brand (not these exact models) for my children when they were younger.  I have personally since switched to stainless and glass bottles.]

41xQ3ldlugL._AC_US320_QL65_ 41HYfEON2oL._AC_US320_QL65_ 4188G18S+JL._AC_US320_QL65_ 41RrT99EC4L._AC_US320_QL65_

Happy shopping & – as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Unexpected Lead Expert
Mother of Four Boys

Affiliate link disclosure: If you choose to purchase any items after clicking the Amazon links above, Amazon pays me a small kick back as a thank you for sending business their way. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and helps support this website, allowing me to keep sharing information about childhood lead poisoning prevention (as well as making it possible for me to keep sharing about safe products for your home and family) ... Sharing this information in turn helps families everywhere protect their children from potential environmental toxicity in their homes. I only link to products that are the same as (or very similar to) ones that I either have direct personal experience with in my home or that I have personally tested with an XRF Instrument and found to be lead-safe or lead-free. February 2017

44 Responses to #SaferChoices: Water Bottles, Baby Bottles & Sippy Cups

1. Carrie February 11, 2017 at 5:28 am #

Have you tested Funtainers? There’s no visible dot or dimple on the bottom, and the material covering the bottom does not come off.

2. Katie February 11, 2017 at 5:40 am #

Any word on the thermos brand stainless steel water cans? They claim to be lead free too but what I’m learning here is that’s not always so. :-/

3. Kortnei February 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

I’m also curious about these Thermos Funtainer bottles: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CBFAF48/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486953411&sr=1-1&keywords=Thermos

4. Ioanna February 18, 2017 at 1:23 am #

Can you tell us about the thermos stainless steel the Funtainer either with or without designs (they’re sold everywhere and my kids have about 3-4 each, now I’m worried)

5. Kari February 23, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

Thank you for your important work! I was wondering if you’ve done any testing in Crocadile Creek brand metal water bottles.

Thanks!

6. Erin February 24, 2017 at 7:41 pm #

I’m also curious about the Funtainers and whether or not the outside paint has been tested. Thank you!

7. Aimee Heck February 28, 2017 at 9:06 am #

Have you found any sippy cups that have straws and are lead free?

8. Kerri Delamater March 28, 2017 at 5:55 pm #

I was wondering about Thermos Stainless Steal water bottles as well.

9. Robert O. May 27, 2017 at 9:23 am #

I’m curious about bottles from Contigo (www.gocontigo.com), as this company seems to be making tremendous inroads into the water bottle market. I seem to recall one link online about some lead in these bottles, but I can’t find it now. The bottles are made in China, so we only have our government’s statements and the company’s word as to the safety of the products they are importing to the U.S.A. I have used one of their stainless steel (AUTOSEAL) bottles for about a year. Very often there is a white powdery residue on the inside of the bottle (at the opening) which has me concerned. The residue wipes away and washes away easily, but it’s concerning nonetheless. I like the fact that this bottle holds cold liquids cold for many hours, but if my health is going to be affected by the presence of lead or any other undesirable contaminant, I’d rather refill a different container more frequently with ice water and/or ice cubes. If anyone has any information on this brand, please let me know. Thanks in advance! Robert

• Kelly December 26, 2017 at 8:22 am #

Yes!! These are our bottles of choice as well, can you please test them? I’d be grateful.

10. Tabitha June 13, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

I want to say thank you so much for the work that you do. I had already bought the Klean Kanteen bottles for my daughter but they were to big for her for so I bought a Pura. I was just about to order more of the Pura bottles when I came across your article. It makes me so angry. I really trusted them especially where they have the MADE SAFE logo but apparently that isn’t trustworthy either. Thank you, thank you and thank you!

11. SarahBeth September 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm #

Evening and thank you wholeheartedly for the work you are doing!! Might i suggest testing the i9 glass water bottles.

12. Samantha Paez September 27, 2017 at 10:28 pm #

How about Takeya bottles? Thanx!

• Christina June 15, 2018 at 5:17 pm #

I am currently searching for a new water bottle for my growing child, and finally settled on a Takeya bottle as well. Would love to know if this brand has been tested for lead!!

• Tamara June 15, 2018 at 5:39 pm #

I have tested some and I believe they all have been lead-free, but not enough to make a blanket statement about the brand.

13. Debbie Joe November 11, 2017 at 7:16 am #

Thank you for sharing the test results and recommendations. I am also curious if the Zojirushi thermos bottles referenced above contain lead. They are our families’ favorite.
    Thanks again!

14. Suz December 10, 2017 at 5:20 pm #

Have you tested EcoVessel? (like their Gobble N Go cups)

15. Becky January 11, 2018 at 3:43 am #

I’m curious about the thermos foogo containers. Have you tested those?

• Tamara January 11, 2018 at 4:56 pm #

I tested this exact one (affiliate link) and it was negative for lead: http://amzn.to/2DpjCqM
      Note: I did not disassemble it to test it, so there is still a possibility of lead under the bottom cap (which is fairly permanently affixed) but I can’t know that unless I can get one to disassemble. That said I have not heard of the bottom caps of these popping off (as they do with the Pura Kiki bottles) so I do not have the same concern for this product.

• Becky January 23, 2018 at 5:43 am #

Ok… I guess I jinxed myself. I have one where the bottom just came loose. It hasn’t fallen off yet. I’m going to throw it out. Do you want to test it? I can send it to you.

• Tamara January 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm #

If you can send it to me with evidence of the date of purchase I would LOVE to have that for my collection! [Because I am trying to demonstrate what years these have been available]

• Tamara January 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm #

However you could call the company and ask for a replacement too!

16. Veronika March 5, 2018 at 11:56 am #

Thank you for your tests:-) Now, I am trying to choose a bottle for our little one and I have found out that it is quite a difficult task… However, I want to ask about Thinkbaby (https://enlightenedbaby.com/shop/feeding/thinkbaby-of-steel-bottle/) and Pacific Baby (https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Baby-Bottle-Blueberries-Ounce/dp/B0085P4Z6M).

• Nancy Brown April 6, 2018 at 8:49 am #

I would also like to know if thinkbaby has been tested for lead. Their website says lead free but we can’t trust that most of the time. My daughter is just getting ready to get to start learning to use a straw or sippy cup and I feel so worried about choosing one for her.

• Tamara April 11, 2018 at 11:41 am #

I will see what I can find in my archives!

17. Sherry March 19, 2018 at 11:35 pm #

Have you or can you test MY BEVI Insulated water bottles?

• Tamara March 22, 2018 at 6:50 pm #

I don’t believe I have. Folks send me things in for testing, so someone would have to send me one.

18. J April 28, 2018 at 11:46 am #

Hi there,

Are the plain Pura Kiki stainless steel bottles ok? It’s all steel with no colors.

19. AnnMarie May 26, 2018 at 1:12 am #

Are there any insulated thermoses that you have found to be lead free? I know Klean Kanteen is listed but the pictures are of non insulated ones. I was hoping to purchase an insulated version but I prefer it to not have the solder dot hidden under the bottom cover. Thanks so much for all of your hard work on this matter. It’s sad that our country doesn’t value our health and do more to protect us, especially our children.

• Tamara May 28, 2018 at 8:43 am #

Since I haven’t taken them apart in my work, I can’t be sure of which ones are insulated and don’t have lead. However the new hydroflasks have been testing lead-free (because they fixed an issue in the past) so I would consider going with them. I also have never seen the bottom fall off a Thermos brand flat, so I think those are likely a good choice (although they may have lead in the sealing dot, it does not seem to ever become exposed.) Here are a couple of affiliate links for those products: Hydroflask: https://amzn.to/2slC0eK, Thermos Brand product: https://amzn.to/2LCdcbp

20. max May 27, 2018 at 2:34 pm #

Hi,

Have you tested any glass bottle that does not have have any markings at all or has the markings on the outside?

• Tamara May 28, 2018 at 8:39 am #

The LifeFactory bottles do not have any printed markings. That’s one of the main reasons I use them.

21. Jenny July 11, 2018 at 3:44 pm #

This may be a naive questions, but if the solder point is covered by an insulated bottom (like the foogo bottle), is it safe to use as long as my kid does t touch the solder point? Or does the lead leech into the inside of the water too? Do you know of any glass bottles that use a silicone straw? I’ve read that even when plastic is BPA free, the replacement material can be just as toxic. Many thanks for your research!

• Tamara July 11, 2018 at 3:49 pm #

Hi Jenny!

The leaded sealing dot on the bottom is safe as long as it is covered, it does not impact the contents of the bottle at all.

I have never heard of the Foogo/Thermos bottles (https://amzn.to/2JfrFI2) having their bottom cap come off, and so I feel they are really good choices, unlike the Pura Kiki (https://amzn.to/2Na9eXF) where the bottom comes off. The LifeFactory bottles have a silicone straw top option (https://amzn.to/2upftz2)!

Links are affiliate links.

22. Alli July 20, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Hi, I just tested the paint on two different baby food glass jars that are being marketed by their manufacturers as “lead free.” I use these jars to store pumped breast milk for my 4 month old infant. I used the 3M LeadCheck Swabs and found that *both* Jervis & George and Nellam glass baby food jars contain lead in the paint that is used to stamp the makers’ marks as well as the volumetric markings on the exterior of the jars. I became concerned when I read negative reviews on Amazon.com about the Green Sprouts sippy cups and noticed that the painted markings on the Nellam jars was wearing off with washes. When washing, I was soaking these jars with other bottles and breast pump parts, so who knows if particles of that lead paint are now contaminating those things, too? I immediately had my infant tested, and he has 4 mcg/dl of lead in his blood. Although my child’s pediatrician is not concerned, because my infant’s blood lead levels aren’t 5 mcg/dl or more, I’m really upset. Is there a place where I can file an official complaint (besides Amazon, where I bought these jars)? Would the FDA care to hear about this, since the manufacturers are essentially lying about their products being “lead free”?

Here are the jars I tested: https://amzn.to/2O0yIb7 and https://amzn.to/2zZ2yKa

Incidentally, I tested Phillips Avent glass bottles with the swabs, and the paint on those tested negative.

• Tamara July 20, 2018 at 6:45 pm #

Thank you for sharing this important information! I will try to get my hands on those other brands and test them as well (with an XRF instrument). If you want to send me yours to test (or order me some sent directly to test) with an XRF instrument, that would be great. I did know that the Avent bottles are lead-free! I have a post about that. 🙂 https://tamararubin.com/2017/03/avent-glass/
      Currently the CPSC does not consider it a violation (that these children’s products are painted with lead paint!) because [their logic] if you scrape all the paint off it isn’t a significant amount of the material of the product (by volume). Of course I disagree with this. The more data points we can gather on this the better. Feel free to email me: TamaraRubin@mac.com – I think the next step is to get the press involved and I have been trying to get press to cover this story for more than a year, but will keep trying. I cannot believe there is not widespread public outrage over the fact that there is lead in baby bottles and similar products intended for food use purposes with infants. Pressure from the press often generates the necessary awareness to precipitate change when complaining through normal government channels end up being a futile exercise. I have also thought that if we could get a celebrity (mama who has a new baby) interested in the concern that could help in a very big way. It’s all about making connections with people who can help make a bigger noise!

• Tamara July 20, 2018 at 7:06 pm #

P.S. Alli, I posted each of these products on my Lead Safe Mama facebook page to see if anyone could buy them to send to me for testing. I also wanted to let you know that this makes SIX brands of baby food storage products/ baby bottle products that are positive for lead, hopefully a journalist will finally pick up this story! I will send it out to my mailing list and create blog posts about it as well!

• AnnMarie July 21, 2018 at 5:44 am #

I’m so upset I have the second set of glass bottles. I bought them because they were glass and free of toxins and lead or so I thought. I will be contacting amazon and can send you the jars if you’d like. I bought them in 9/17. Please let me know if you’d like them.

• Tamara July 21, 2018 at 12:27 pm #

Thank you so much for being in touch AnnMarie! I look forward to testing these with an XRF instrument!

• AnnMarie July 25, 2018 at 10:22 am #

I also wanted to add that I have contacted amazon and asked that they remove these from their site.