For those new to this website:
Tamara Rubin is a multiple-Federal-award-winning independent advocate for childhood Lead poisoning prevention and consumer goods safety, and a documentary filmmaker. She is also a mother of Lead-poisoned children (two of her sons were acutely Lead-poisoned in 2005). Since 2009, Tamara has been using XRF technology (a scientific method used by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) to test consumer goods for toxicants (specifically heavy metals — including Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Antimony, and Arsenic). All test results reported on this website are science-based, accurate, and replicable. Items are tested multiple times to confirm the test results for each component tested. Tamara’s work was featured in Consumer Reports Magazine in February of 2023 (March 2023 print edition).
Get ready now for the upcoming school year by starting a “detox” of your kiddos’ school supplies! Check out all of the LEAD-FREE choices below. Please read the full text of this post (scroll down). Thank you!
Affiliate links to the items in the image are below.
Lunch Box Supplies (Lead-free choices)
NOTE: All stainless water bottles should be rinsed out at the end of each day and have new water put in them daily. Don’t let water sit in your child’s stainless water bottle for multiple days.
- Choice #1) Water Bottle (for water only — any choice from this brand): https://amzn.to/3KG9IEL
- Choice #2) Water Bottle (for water only — any non-insulated choice from this brand): https://amzn.to/4491NqJ
- Choice #3) Water Bottle (for water only — any choice from this brand): https://amzn.to/45b50r9
- Choice #4) Water Bottle (for any beverage): https://amzn.to/45zoOE6
- Insulated Food Containers (any choice from this brand): https://amzn.to/3sg7mpU
- Non-Insulated (recycled plastic) reusable food containers (better than plastic baggies! I bought a couple dozen of these when my kids were little and put three or four in with different things for lunch): https://amzn.to/45oEHxg
- Food container (if your kid is allowed to bring glassware to school, this is a personal favorite of mine): https://amzn.to/3YFWEFd
- Washable Reusable Lunch Bag (these are small): https://amzn.to/3QIYhQM
- Washable Reusable Lunch Bag — Another Brand: https://amzn.to/3sg7GF8
- Insulated Lunch Bag: https://amzn.to/3Oxft96
- Adult-sized Lunch Box: https://amzn.to/3QJu5Vp
- Utensils — wood: https://amzn.to/3QJ0cov
- Utensils (recycled plastic) for small children: https://amzn.to/45b9ayV
- Utensil — metal: https://amzn.to/47ALGoy
- Utensil (spork — wood): https://amzn.to/3KMEtbf
- Cloth Napkins (I always put these in with my kids’ lunches) — I like something small like these: https://amzn.to/3QJ0RX1
- Bento Box Style Container — Large (avoid the ones with paint): https://amzn.to/45xt9aV
- Bento Box Style Container (smaller) https://amzn.to/3E1AaoU
School Work Supplies (Lead-free choices)
Many of these things will be cheaper at your local school supply/office supply store
- Crayons — choice #1): https://amzn.to/3QIu7Ni
- Crayons — choice #2): https://amzn.to/3E5FQxS
- Chalk: https://amzn.to/3QH0nR2
- Scissors (modern scissors by known brands should be Lead-free): https://amzn.to/3E0r5wr
- Our favorite pencils: https://amzn.to/3sbiT9T
- Some of our favorite colored pencils: https://amzn.to/3qzoczw
- Our favorite pencil sharpener (worth the expense and on sale today): https://amzn.to/3OYEJ9K
- Paper (all modern paper should be Lead-free): https://amzn.to/3skqH9G
- Spiral Notebooks (stick with known brands, avoid vinyl or painted spirals): https://amzn.to/3OYbO5F
- 3-Ring Binders (modern binders from known brands should all be Lead-free): https://amzn.to/3YGjRXX
- Markers for Older Kids (these are Lead-free but have other toxicant issues): https://amzn.to/3soeCjq
- Ruler (modern rulers by known brands should be Lead-free): https://amzn.to/3YC6Pe8
- Book Bag (I tested one of these and it was negative for toxicants): https://amzn.to/47yUCef
And finally… Are your kids getting a good night’s sleep?
- For good measure, here’s an affiliate link to Naturepedic (they are having a 15% off end-of-summer sale right now and they contribute 15% of what you spend back to Lead Safe Mama, LLC in support of our programs!): https://shrsl.com/46ipm
All links are affiliate links (Amazon & Naturepedic). If you purchase something after clicking one of our affiliate links, we may receive a percentage of what you spend at no extra cost.