Introduction (for those new to this website):
Tamara Rubin is a federal-award-winning independent advocate for consumer goods safety and a documentary filmmaker. She is also a mother of Lead-poisoned children, her sons were acutely Lead-poisoned in 2005. Since 2009 Tamara has been using XRF testing (a scientific method used by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) to test consumer goods for toxicants (specifically heavy metals), including Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Antimony, and Arsenic. All test results reported on this website are science-based, accurate, and replicable. Items are tested multiple times, to confirm the test results for each component. Tamara’s work was featured in Consumer Reports Magazine in February of 2023.
December 26, 2022 – Monday
As you may have realized, there is a LOT of information on the Lead Safe Mama website. Two years ago I posted this short instruction video (link) showing tips and tricks for efficiently searching the site, but yesterday I decided to write out some of the best quick tips in a graphic, which I have pinned to the top of all of my pages. Please take a look (it’s the graphic below, but I have also included the text of that graphic here and on all of my social media pages). Thank you for reading! I hope this helps!
- There are two primary URLs for the website: TamaraRubin.com or LeadSafeMama.com (LeadSafeMama.org will also get you there if you type that in by accident).
- There is an easy-to-use button navigation menu linked in the Bio on the Lead Safe Mama Instagram page.
- There’s a search bar at the top of every page of the website (try fewer words like “Fiesta” instead of “Eggplant Fiesta,” for example) — and look through all of the posts found for related articles.
- There is also a navigation menu at the top of every page with some overview categories and links to get you started.
- Anytime you want to get back to the home page, click the Lead Safe Mama logo with the pink border at the top of every page.
- For a “guided tour,” we have a post with a 16-minute tutorial video showing all of the ways to find things on the site (including all of the ways to find Lead-free safer choices, general product purchasing guidelines, and more, like “Symptoms of Lead Poisoning”). Just type “How To Use” in the website search bar to instantly access that tutorial post. Please watch the video — there are currently over 3,500 posts and pages of info, and this little tutorial makes it easy to find anything you’re looking for that we have written about!
- If you have some time, scroll through the headlines on the home page — our top 100 most important posts are pinned to the home page every day (and that includes the START HERE post) — along with a handful of recent posts and articles, so if you are just browsing to see what types of things we have written about, this is a great way to do that.