If you are not yet familiar with this issue, here is a link to the original full article outlining all of the circumstances that precipitated this violation report. Continue reading below the image. But first… a note from “Becky” the owner of Green Sprouts (this is a screenshot from their website earlier today):
Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) Violation Report
Filed with the United State Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
November 3, 2022
Formatting added for ease of reading
- The Green Sprouts Insulated Stainless Steel Sippy Cup (by iPlay) has a bottom cap construction with a stainless steel cap covering the bottom of the baby bottle/ sippy cup.
- With normal use as intended by babies and children, the bottom cap comes off exposing the sealing dot used to create the insulated vacuum seal of the bottle.
- A Lead Safe Mama dot com reader sent their bottle in for testing by Lead Safe Mama, LLC (after their baby had been exposed when the bottom cap of the bottle came off) and when we tested the sealing dot on the exposed bottom of the bottle it was positive for Lead at 468,800 ppm using XRF technology (far above the 100 ppm limit for substrates set by the CPSIA of 2008).
- This product needs to be immediately and publicly recalled as the risk to harm to children who use the product is not insignificant (and it is common for mothers to let the children use the product when the bottom falls off because they don’t realize it exposes their child to Lead.)
- Separately it is important to note that this company has previously created a baby bottle (a different product, not the one being reported today) with unsafe levels of Lead in the exterior paint and a formal recall was NOT demanded and thus they are a repeat offender (with a violation) of the CPSIA – specifically with the same type of product (baby bottles/ sippy cups).
Here’s a link detailing the specifics of the product in question – including photos and the company’s history of violations: https://tamararubin.com/2022/09/this-is-not-the-first-greensprouts-baby- product-that-has-tested-positive-for-unsafe-levels-of-lead-repeatoffender/
Address given below is for Lead Safe Mama, LLC – as we did the testing of the bottle which was sent into us by a reader. NOTE: while it appears the company may no longer be selling this product directly (I was not able to find it on their site tonight 11/3/2022), the product is still available being sold by retailers including Amazon and no public notice or recall has been made by the company.
~ End of Report As Submitted ~
Here is a link to the full violation report that was submitted to the CPSC (or you can click the image of the first page of the report below to see the full report.) Below that are the four photos that were included with the report as well as a screenshot of the first page of the report.