Saturday – July 10, 2021
Welp – Charlie’s birthday is just 5 days away! I think we got him covered this year!
Many of my readers like to know what kinds of things I actually buy for my family (and especially for my children.) They know that the things I choose for my own family will most likely be Lead-free. To that end I am going to share here everything that my family is giving Charlie for his birthday this year… just for fun.
But first – what we have planned for the day itself…
- We will probably have pancakes, smoothies and veggie-bacon for breakfast (Charlie has a thing for pancakes and for veggie bacon!)
- Then my four sons (ages: almost 25, almost 19, 16-1/2, and almost-13) have been planing a zoom Dungeons and Dragons session together for the birthday day!
- I also got the boys (on both coasts) balloons for making balloon animals and the big brothers are practicing how to make My-Little-Pony-like balloon animals (thank you YouTube!) and they will be doing that for Charlie via zoom as a surprise.
- For “Lunch” Avi has promised to make sugar-free, dairy-free/vegan lemon birthday cake (which I guess the boys on the East Coast will pretend to eat with their brothers – lol.] Probably will have this with carrot sticks and celery sticks and sliced apples to balance things out (Charlie loves those things – oh! and snap peas!)
- The boys may also play Magic-the-Gathering.
- After the zoom games (which is not something we have ever done before!) we are going to take the two younger boys (the boys here with us on this coast) outside to do something in nature (probably go out to Sauvie Island and run them on the beach for a bit and see about picking some berries at one of the Organic berry farms out there.)
- For dinner Charlie will probably get his new favorite from the food carts a block from our house – orange chicken on rice (with broccoli)!
Here are the presents:
The most important present: YOU (my friends and readers) have been subscribing to Charlie’s new YouTube channel! Thank you all for that. He’s excited about it. He has 123 subscribers now and has already made two videos he is planning on uploading – so stay tuned for those. [And if you haven’t yet followed him on YouTube and can take a moment to do so – that would be amazing, he’ll appreciate it more than you know. Thank you! Here’s the post I wrote about that!]
#1) A new pink toothbrush!
We actually gave this to him a few weeks ago so it’s not technically a birthday present (and what mom gives her kid a toothbrush as a birthday present?), but it’s out of the “birthday budget” this year. He was so excited to have a new PINK electric toothbrush. I’ll do anything to get him to willingly brush his teeth with all I have spent on dental work over the years and they finally have some Philips choices at less costly price points!
#2) Some of the balloons we got for the surprise above:
#3) More of the balloons…
This set of 100 is biodegradable!
#5) A new neodymium fishing magnet
I just wrote about this on this post here. Charlie got one of these as a gift last summer and it was a huge hit. When I broke my leg in Maine in January I ended up leaving a lot of the things we took on our cross country trip with my older sons in Boston. A.J. (my 18 year old) had as much fun with this as Charlie did last year so I knew he would appreciate it if I left it with him! I needed to get Charlie a replacement (for this summer, in Oregon!)
#6) A tweezer set!
Charlie has been spending the past couple of weeks making some pearler bead art (you can see what he is making here on Instagram) which he loves doing. As we 100% anticipated would happen – his brother bumped into his most recent big project and the beads went EVERYWHERE and there was a lot of screaming. Afterwards he got really upset that he wanted to put it back together but we couldn’t find the tweezers he had been using. (It seems several pairs of our tweezers must have evaporated in the past year somehow). So we got him this pretty set of tweezers so he could have his own set in his art area! [They were the closest I could find to the My Little Pony color range!]
#7) My Little Pony Monopoly!
Thanks to some help from my readers I was able to locate a copy of this that was NOT the $160 advertised price on Amazon! (It’s amazing what you can find online if you have an army of people helping you look for a deal!) This is going to be a major moment of excitement for Charlie – as it marries his two ABSOLUTE FAVORITE things! Monopoly and My Little Pony!
#8) A “Ponies The Galloping” special edition card
These also marry two of Charlie’s favorite things (My Little Pony and playing Magic The Gathering!) These were sold a few years ago as a limited edition set and we (his brothers) got him just ONE of the cards (the least expensive one we could find!)- the Twilight Sparkle card (which was about $35 all by itself!) We don’t think Charlie knows that this set was even made and we know he’s going to flip his lid to get an actual official Magic-The-Gathering My Little Pony Twilight Sparkle card!
What sorts of things did you get for your 13 year old for their birthday?!
Thanks for reading! Thank you for sharing my posts too!