Salt Shaker Test Results
This is my favorite style of salt shaker and I have never tested one that looked like this that was positive for Lead. It’s simple and relatively nontoxic – plus you can see the contents so you know exactly how much you have left (and I don’t know why anyone would need anything more in a salt shaker!) I was just looking at some similar brand new salt shakers at my local restaurant supply store yesterday (12/9/2019) and they were only 75 cents each! So a remarkably good deal – especially given they are one of the safest choices out there!
When tested with an XRF instrument the vintage “Made in Taiwan” clear glass restaurant style salt shaker (with a metal cap) pictured here had the following readings:
Glass of body of shaker:
- Barium (Ba): 2,087 +/- 60 ppm
- Vanadium (V): 694 +/- 43 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 1,413 +/- 75 ppm
Metal lid / cap of shaker:
- Barium (Ba): 919 +/- 227 ppm
- Chromium (Cr): 574 +/- 107 ppm
- Tin (Ti): 1,930 +/- 125 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 705,400 +/- 2,300 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 282,100 +/- 1,800 ppm
- Cobalt (Co): 7,351 +/- 1,091 ppm
- Manganese (Mn): 933 +/- 324 ppm
The components of this shaker were tested for a minimum of 60-seconds for each (repeated) test to make sure to report the most accurate possible readings.
I will update this post with more information shortly, but in the meantime – please read some of the other posts I have written to better understand the test results reported on this website. Also, here’s a link to a set of 12 similar salt shakers on Amazon* for about $22.00 (so less than $2 each – and with stainless steel tops!): https://amzn.to/2PxPC2r
Additional reading you may find interesting:
- To see more Salt & Pepper shakers I have tested, click here.
- To see more vintage items I have tested, click here.
- To see more clear glass items I have tested, click here.
- To see more Made in Taiwan items I have tested, click here.
As always – thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
*Amazon links are affiliate links. If you purchase something after clicking on one of my links I may receive a small percentage of what you spend at no extra cost to you.
These are no longer available. What would you recommend ? Thanks !