When tested with an XRF instrument this brown ceramic mug with light blue glaze (“Made in China” and purchased at World Market in November of 2019 for $3.99) had the following readings:
XRF test focused on unglazed brown ceramic base of cup:
- Lead (Pb): 39 +/- 14 ppm (safe by all standards)
- Chromium (Cr): 1,605 +/- 100 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 98 +/- 22 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 125 +/- 37 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 12,100 +/- 500 ppm
- Bismuth (Bi): 130 +/- 17 ppm
- Vanadium (V): 287 +/- 36 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 850 +/- 69 ppm
- Zirconium (Zr): 7,857 +/- 193 ppm
- Platinum (Pt): 115 +/- 43 ppm
Note: area with white painted logo had similar readings to bare unglazed area.
XRF test focused on exterior glaze on rim of cup:
- Barium (Ba): 139 +/- 69 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 73,500 +/- 2,100 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 266 +/- 59 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 1,990 +/- 207 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 12,500 +/- 600 ppm
- Zirconium (Zr): 3,595 +/- 130 ppm
XRF test focused on glazed interior of cup:
- Zinc (Zn): 67,700+/- 1,900 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 273 +/- 58 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 2,549 +/- 230 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 11,300 +/- 600 ppm
- Zirconium (Zr): 4,376 +/- 154 ppm
All tests reported on this blog are from tests done for a minimum of 60 seconds each unless otherwise noted. Tests were repeated multiple times (on each component) to confirm the results. Results are science-based, replicable and accurate. All metals detected in “consumer goods” mode with the XRF instrument are listed above. If a metal was not detected it is not listed.
At 39 ppm Lead in the base clay – that is a contaminant of the substrate and not an added ingredient. Most base-clay (in ceramics from around the world) has at least some trace amount of Lead (typically within the same range as the amount found in this cup.) The Lead-free glaze is thick and well applied resulting in a finish that protects against any potential Lead leaching into the contents of the cup. I would be comfortable drinking from this cup if you served me a beverage in it while I was visiting your home.
To see more items from Cost Plus / World Market that I have tested, click here.
As always, thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Leave a Reply