There are currently more than a dozen Lead Safe Mama parent-volunteer run lead poisoning prevention advocacy groups on Facebook organized by geographic area. Each time I get a request from families in a specific area to coordinate an outreach trip to that area, I start a Facebook group.
“Why are you creating these groups?”
These local Facebook groups help me “collect” everyone who might be interested in coming to an event (or hosting an event, or sponsoring an event, or volunteering for an event) in that region in one easily accessible place – in case we do end up coordinating an event in that area sometime in the future! [Click here to read more about Lead Safe Mama outreach events.]
These groups also serve two other important functions:
- The main purpose for the groups – long-term – is to foster the building of a local IRL (In-Real-Life) community of parents and others interested in local conversation about childhood Lead-poisoning prevention and locally-focused issues around the subject. Ideally, each of these groups will serve as a “hub” –
- for group-members to ask questions (looking for local resources and ideas).
- for group-members to share about local problems or projects they need help with,
- for participants to share local resources they have found helpful, like public agencies, home renovation grants, and contractors they recommend, etc.
- If there is going to be a Lead Safe Mama event in the area, the people in these geographically-focused groups will also be the first to know about any opportunities to participate in these events (which are usually free and open to the public) AND will be the first to know about any opportunities to have Lead Safe Mama (me) over for a private one-on-one home consultation OR a testing party with friends (if it’s possible to do one in your area).
To see all of the Lead Safe Mama groups, click here [although it will likely take me a few days to get a post up for each one, so wait to click this link until October 2nd or 3rd for a more complete list!]
‘Tell me more about the Colorado group specifically!”
The “Colorado Lead Safe Mamas” group was one of the very first groups — having been started on March 4, 2017 — and there are currently 66 active members in the group (10/1/2019)! I have been to Colorado for many wonderful outreach events (more times than I can count!) – with most events in Denver; however, I have also traveled out a bit towards the mountains. I have participated in collaborative Lead Poisoning Prevention initiatives with the Colorado Department of Health, and I have also spoken several times (to employees and other folks assembled) at the EPA Headquarters in Denver. It was in Denver that I received one of the first awards for my advocacy work (the National Healthy Homes Hero award, that was give to me by a consortium of Federal agencies [EPA, CDC, HUD, USDA and the USDoE] at the June 2011 National Healthy Homes Conference in Denver)! I am so thankful for all of the support I have received from my Colorado community over the past 10+ years!
“How do I participate?”
If you live in or near* Colorado and are already on Facebook, please click the group image (above or below) to join this group, so you can participate in the ongoing local conversation – and be among the first to know about any Lead Safe Mama events that will be happening near you! [*I will leave it up to you to judge what “near” means in your area – but typically, it’s within a two-hour drive from the primary location or main airport in an area!]
As always, thank you for being here and for reading and sharing my posts!