There are currently more than a dozen Lead Safe Mama Facebook groups organized by geographic area. Each time I get a request from families in a specific area to coordinate an outreach trip to that area, I start a Facebook group.
“Why are you creating these groups?”
These groups help me “collect” everyone who might be interested in coming to an event (or hosting an event, or sponsoring an event, or volunteering for an event) in that region in one easily accessible place – in case we do end up coordinating an event in that area sometime in the future! [Click here to read more about Lead Safe Mama outreach events.]
These groups also serve two other important functions:
- The main purpose for the groups – long-term – is to foster the building of a local IRL (In-Real-Life) community of parents and others interested in local conversation about childhood Lead-poisoning prevention and locally-focused issues around the subject. Ideally, each of these groups will serve as a “hub” –
- for group-members to ask questions (looking for local resources and ideas).
- for group-members to share about local problems or projects they need help with,
- for participants to share local resources they have found helpful, like public agencies, home renovation grants, and contractors they recommend, etc.
- If there is going to be a Lead Safe Mama event in the area, the people in these geographically-focused groups will also be the first to know about any opportunities to participate in these events (which are usually free and open to the public) AND will be the first to know about any opportunities to have Lead Safe Mama (me) over for a private one-on-one home consultation OR a testing party with friends (if it’s possible to do one in your area).
To see all of the Lead Safe Mama groups, click here (although it will likely take me a few days to get a post up for each one, so wait to click this link until October 2nd or 3rd for a more complete list!)
The “Australia Lead Safe Mamas” group was created about a year ago – on November 24, 2018 (one of my older groups!) – and currently has 163 members (as of 10/1/2019). One of the reasons I created this group is because the Lead Safe Mama blog has had nearly 100,000 unique readers in Australia in the past 12 months alone. Most of those readers have actually come to the blog in the past three months (July, August and September of 2019) since my work has gone viral on several media outlets in Australia over the summer. To see some of that news coverage, click here. Please read this post if you are interested in helping to coordinate a #LeadSafeMama tour of Australia!
Click the image below full size!
“How do I participate?”
If you live in or near* Australia., please click the group image (above or below) to join this group on Facebook so you can be among the first to know about any Lead Safe Mama events that will be happening near you! [*I will leave it up to you to judge what “near” means – but I haven’t yet created a New Zealand group so that might include New Zealand or folks in other island nations near Australia – which I would absolutely love to travel to for outreach work!]
As always, thank you for being here and for reading and sharing my posts!
Leave a Reply