When tested with an XRF instrument this Camp Snoopy collectable drinking glass (promotional giveaway from McDonald’s c. 1980s) had the following readings:
- Lead (Pb): 85,100 +/- 1,800 ppm
- Cadmium (Cd): 1,827 +/- 74 ppm
- Mercury (Hg): 99 +/- 39 ppm
- Chromium (Cr): 3,061 +/- 135 ppm
- Zinc (Zn) 115 +/- 24 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 1,111 +/- 69 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 1,670 +/- 104 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 2,181 +/- 181 ppm
- Titanium (Ti): 15,700 +/- 500 ppm
- Platinum (Pt): 595 +/- 142 ppm
- Magnesium (Mn): 1,529 +/- 239 ppm
- Metals not listed were not detected by the instrument (in consumer goods mode). Results were replicable with tests done for at least 180 seconds (3-minutes).
The amount of Lead considered toxic (and illegal) in consumer goods made today intended for use by children is anything 90 ppm Lead or higher in the paint or coating. To my knowledge this glass was never recalled for Lead by McDonald’s – and glasses from this series can be found ALL OVER Ebay for sale for about $10 or so (with no warning for potential toxicants listed in the product description.) Marking resale vintage goods as potentially toxic is not required. There is nothing to stop a parent or grandparent from unknowingly purchasing a toxic glass like this as a gift intended for use by a child in their lives.
I bought this for my “Museum of Lead” collection (anticipating that it would test positive for a high level of lead.) IF you own a glass like this, please display it in a case and clearly note somewhere visible that it is not safe to use something like this for food use purposes given the level (and range) of toxicants present in the paint on the decorations of the glass.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for sharing and for reading my posts!