To see the rest of my posts on Tupperware, click here.

17 Responses to Tupperware’s response to the toxicity concern. A comment from one of my readers that you might find interesting.

1. Anna March 19, 2019 at 12:36 pm #

Tamara, have you tested any Tupperware that’s currently being produced, or only vintage stuff?

2. Sharon March 19, 2019 at 3:39 pm #

You have been testing the painted portions which do not come in contact with food. What about the inside of the pieces that have no painted area?

• Tamara March 19, 2019 at 4:02 pm #

Hi Sharon,

That’s incorrect actually. The Tupperware pieces I have tested so far have not had any painted decorations – they are all a solid plastic material (the same inside and out of the vessel.)

• Sharon March 19, 2019 at 4:25 pm #

I was watching your other video with glasswear from Corning, Corelli etc testing for lead. This is where your rested the painted surface. This does not come into contact with food. I was wondering about the inside surface where no paint is present.

3. Susan Cournoyer March 19, 2019 at 3:49 pm #

I have a yellow vintage colander. Is it also considered dangerous in food preparation? It’s the same color as the measuring cups?

• Tamara March 19, 2019 at 3:57 pm #

Hi Susan,

In the absence of further testing, I would definitely be concerned with using these with hot foods or hot liquids (like for straining cooked pasta).

A new non-toxic /safe colander is generally fairly inexpensive. Here’s a post with more information about that: https://tamararubin.com/2016/12/colander/

• Patricia Bailey March 20, 2019 at 8:06 pm #

I have exactly the same colander. 1523-8 on the handle. Plenty for sale on eBay. Used it for hot pasta. Not after today…

4. Karen March 19, 2019 at 7:34 pm #

I think there should be a recall on all of these pieces and then destroy or stored in a safe manner not put in our landfills to leach into our water supply.

5. Linda Martin March 20, 2019 at 6:06 am #

While you are at it, you should test aluminum cookware an d aluminum soft drink cans which have been attributed to leaving aluminum on the brains of Alzheimer’s patients!!

• Tamara March 20, 2019 at 9:53 am #

Hi Linda,

I have tested both of those, I don’t believe I have any soda cans up on the blog – but I have lots of test results for cookware posted. If you use the search-bar or index for the site you can find examples. The index is in the purple header on each page at the far right of the header.

6. Mary March 20, 2019 at 12:07 pm #

Dear Tamara,
    Can you refer a picture list of vintage items? Or decade they were sold? I’d sure appreciate it, to see if I have any
    Thanks
    Mary Petricone

• Tamara March 20, 2019 at 1:20 pm #

That’s a great idea for a post Mary, I will do that today and will link it back here for you.

Thank you for commenting.

7. Dyan March 26, 2019 at 12:51 pm #

Have you gotten into contact with any of the larger news networks? This would be great for the public to know and maybe get some more funding for research at the same. It might push Tupperware into giving a better response to its customers and for them to do more testing.

• Tamara March 26, 2019 at 1:43 pm #

Yes, I’m conversation with CBS… hoping they will follow up on this! Fingers crossed.

Thanks for commenting.

T

8. Harold April 13, 2019 at 7:09 am #

So what’s the risk of measuring a 1/2 cup of sugar or milk. None, I bet.

• Tamara April 13, 2019 at 8:27 am #

Hi Harold, the specific risk is an unknown as no one has studied that. I think it would be reasonable to ask Tupperware to study the concern. You may want to read this post for context: https://tamararubin.com/2015/02/fine/

Thank you for commenting. -Tamara