Why I don’t trust Andrew Cutler’s work, by Tamara Rubin, #LeadSafeMama

Today, in response to my recent post about supplements and detox protocols, I got the following comment (screenshot below.) I get this comment a lot and wanted to respond in a way that was unambiguous to Chris. Once I wrote my response to Chris’ comment I realized that my perspective on this is something others who read my blog may be interested in knowing, so I am sharing it here. Sorry to not get into it in more detail. I promise to share more of the specifics on my exchange with Andrew Cutler and my reason for coming to this conclusion very soon (as soon as my calendar frees up a bit.)

The screenshot below is the comment from one of my readers – Chris:

My response:

Hi Chris,

I have heard this claim/hypothesis articulated before — but I have never seen (or ever been able to find) any of the science that supports it.

I had an exchange with Andy Cutler (maybe a year or so before he died), during which he clearly demonstrated his fairly fundamental lack of understanding about lead poisoning, blood lead levels, the impacts of lead exposure on children, sources of lead exposure and more.

He had advised a parent in a way that shared incorrect and even blatantly false information — and if the parent had followed his advice, her child would likely have had serious long-term acute lead exposure as a result. His information about lead was not at all science-based and, in fact, was completely contradictory to the well-studied [including some genuine forward-thinking, progressive/innovative – yet scientific/evidencebased] understanding of the issue by the current body of top scientists working with childhood lead poisoning today.

I resolved to write a blog post about this – and was going to – but then he passed away, and my day-to-day work focused my attention on other matters.

I am aware that some parents have reported benefits from his work, but where Lead was concerned, his advice demonstrated complete ignorance and was well, frankly, simply fraudulent – amounting to the spreading of dangerous unsupportable opinions and misinformation — that may very well have led to the prolonged Lead-poisoning (prolonged exposure to a specific and significant source of Lead) for possibly hundreds of children (if not more).

Again – I will write more about this when I have time.

My son Avi about 10 years ago.

Avi Says

7 Responses to Why I don’t trust Andrew Cutler’s work, by Tamara Rubin, #LeadSafeMama

1. S February 7, 2019 at 7:53 pm #

I look forward to hearing details about your exchange with Andrew.

• Tamara February 8, 2019 at 8:25 am #

Will post as soon as I have a moment.
      Thank you.
      T

2. Hannah February 8, 2019 at 1:59 pm #

As am I!

3. Phil February 9, 2019 at 8:36 am #

How can you make a post bad mouthing someone’s protocol when you don’t go into detail about what he supposedly recommended that is dangerous or wrong? This comes across as slander with no intellectual or scientific proof on your end.

4. Joann February 9, 2019 at 7:02 pm #

I’d like to know which information you found to be misleading or false. I’m doing some research on my own

5. Jen Wessman April 6, 2019 at 1:13 pm #

Your accusations of someone who has saved my life, my son’s life, and the lives if many continues to be unfounded.

Also YOUR advice to take chlorella MADE ME BED RIDDEN. YOUR advice all but killed me. Stick to what you know, which is the environmental side of lead. Also note many people are mercury toxic amd chlorella amd cilantro make us gravelly ill.

• Tamara April 6, 2019 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Jen,

I think you have misread my work.

I don’t give anyone advice about supplements, I personally don’t believe in supplements because too many are contaminated from the manufacturing process.

I do tell people to do their own research (and I give them pointers on that) and I let them know what I used on my children for their lead poisoning (that I personally found effective.)

I don’t know anything about mercury poisoning and don’t claim to.

Here’s my main post about this: https://tamararubin.com/2017/01/natural-chelation/

My biggest concern is that many supplements themselves contain lead – which is why I stick with food based interventions for my family. Garlic is my biggest “go-to” additive to my family’s diet. The more garlic the better. But again – this is for my family. I am not telling you to to take garlic.

I did not give you advice to take chlorella. I don’t even know that we have ever spoken or exchanged emails,- so I don’t know how you can claim that my advice to take chlorella made you “bed ridden”.

Have we met? Do we know each other? Are we facebook friends? I have a facebook friend with your name and I checked our message thread and I definitely never gave her any advice to take chlorella.