Please scroll down for the XRF test results for an 18/10 stainless steel fork in the Borromeo pattern by Calderoni (Made in Italy) c. 2001 through 2003. This was the silverware my husband and I got for our wedding flatware when we merged our households. Purchased c. 2003.
Related: #AskTamara: What do you use to test for lead?
Related: #AskTamara: What is stainless steel?
Below is the full XRF reading set for the Fork pictured in this post:
(XRF reading states : “Metal-304” – which is the type of stainless steel used to make this fork and is another way to express 18/10 grade stainless). Please note the amount of Nickel as compared to the Ikea fork posted earlier. (Link to Ikea fork here.)
- Lead (Pb): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Mercury (Hg): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Arsenic (As): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Cadmium (Cd): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Barium (Ba): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Antimony (Sb): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Selenium (Se): Negative / Non-Detect (ND)
- Chromium (Cr): 161,100 +/- 7,900 ppm
- Tin (Sn): 124 +/- 52 ppm
- Gold (Au): 586 +/- 211 ppm
- Copper (Cu): 2,665 +/- 469 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 89,100 +/- 2,600 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 723,600 +/- 6,100 ppm
- Molybdenum (Mo): 3,977 +/- 202 ppm
- Magnesium (Mn): 15,000 +/- 1,300 ppm
We use many stainless products in our home, including these. In general I consider stainless steel to be a safe option.
As always, thank you for reading and for sharing my posts.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
What if an item just says stainless or 18/8?
Hi Tarin, thank you for commenting.
Generally it is fine – still some variation of stainless.
Check out this post: https://tamararubin.com/2018/07/asktamara-what-is-stainless-steel/
They’re measuring cups and spoons.
Ivanka Kim says
Hi Tamara! If you were to buy a flatware set for your family, which one would it be? I’ve been searching for weeks and I’m totally confused now. Which one is lead free, good quality, stainless steel, made in USA vs. made in China… My head is spinning with all the choices. I got several of the products that you recommended, one of them is the Bamix blender, I love it. Your judgement is always great, thank you for all your hard work and research!