Originally posted: April 19, 2018
Lead Safe Mama Community Outreach Events
When We Coordinate Lead Safe Mama Lead Poisoning Prevention Outreach Events:
- We often do an information-rich, engaging film and/or video presentation (from our rather exhaustive library of hard-to-find videos and original footage — featuring amazing stories, insights and perspectives from parents, politicians, journalists, and top scientists and other experts!)
- We often host a community discussion (usually with a panel of local mothers of lead poisoned children sharing about their experiences with input from other local experts on childhood lead poisoning prevention),
- We can work to coordinate bringing FREE blood lead testing to your community for the event. We normally just need to find a volunteer nurse or clinic (CLIA Wave Certified) but can coordinate getting the blood Lead testing equipment and test vials donated by corporate sponsors.
- We can work together to make FREE XRF consumer goods testing available at the event (including free soil testing!) and…
- We (sometimes / depending on the event) can bring FREE home test kits (water test kits, paint test kits – as well as other relevant products that help to identify Lead hazards and support Lead poisoning prevention actions) to give away to attendees.
Do you want to coordinate a Lead Safe Mama outreach event for your community?
If you are interested in helping to organize an event with the Lead Safe Mama team for your area please let us know by sending us an email or a message on Facebook.
We will work with you to help you:
- Find a sponsor for the event. Hospitals, universities and city or state health departments are great sponsors for these events (and they often have free public spaces we can use for the events as well.) Doctors, religious groups, childcare centers and local businesses (big and small!) are also good sponsor candidates.
- Find a location for the event. Churches and movie theaters are great and we can often get them donated during the day or on an off-night. Hospitals and universities usually have wonderful meeting rooms with top notch A.V. equipment too!
- Line up volunteers to make the event successful. We normally need a volunteer nurse (see above), and other trained volunteers to help with the blood lead testing and XRF testing, as well as volunteers to help spread the word about the event, and volunteer greeters.
- Pull together an audience for the event. (We will invite your friends, our friends, community groups, parent groups, teachers, nurses, doctors – everyone we can round up within a 50 mile radius!)
We WANT to come to YOUR TOWN to make resources and information available for free for everyone who wants to come (including free consumer goods testing using XRF technology!) We want to meet you and hear your stories. We want to get you free blood testing for you (and your spouse!) and your kiddos. We want to answer your questions and give you advice and support in person. Together we can make this happen and make a difference protecting children in your community from being exposed to Lead in their homes, schools and environment.
The Lead Safe Mama, LLC team’s base speaking engagement/event fee (that can include all of the above and more for events in the United States) starts at $5,500 for a single (half-day) event. This fee includes all expenses on our end — travel (airfare & local ground transportation), lodging, etc., as well as covering the cost of Lead Safe Mama administrative assistants to work with you to help coordinate the event, Lead Safe Mama’s costs associated with marketing the event on social media ,and the cost of renting an XRF (if XRF testing of consumer goods is planned is part of the event.)
One to three corporate sponsors can usually easily come up with that funding (each chipping in $1,500 or $2,000 or similar!) Good sponsors include: hospitals, medical clinics, nursing schools, maternity clinics, universities, private high schools (I love talking to students; they learn so quickly – and ask great questions!), pediatricians, real estate-related firms (mortgage providers, home insurance providers, real estate agencies, etc.), local EPA RRP certified contractor firms, and others. Click here for more details on costs and options.
Many event hosts help us coordinate with the local Health department to make it possible for nurses, doctors, childcare providers, special needs education specialists (and sometimes even specialty contractors!) receive CEUs for attending Lead Safe Mama presentations. We would love to help you make that happen as well. Thank you!
Mindy Allen says
There is not a better expert in lead poisoning than Tamara Rubin! She is beyond a passionate advocate. She has a wealth of knowledge and is an engaging speaker. I highly recommend Tamara if you are interested in the very best for raising awareness/educating any population (regardless of income or demographic) on the subject of lead poisoning.
Thank you, Mindy! I hope to come to Charleston again soon!