Lead Safe Mama, LLC will have a booth at Astoria Park on Saturday, June 11, 2022 in conjunction with the NYC Department of Sanitation Safe Disposal Event happening that day. Here is the information for the Safe Disposal Event:
Click this link for the event details / to register for the Safe Disposal event. Continue reading for more info about the Lead Safe Mama, LLC booth at the event (& how to get a few of your things tested for toxicants that day!)
Please share this with friends and family in (and near) New York City who might like to come have a few items tested for Lead (and other metallic toxicants) FOR FREE this coming weekend! Thank you! This post will also be pinned to the top of the home page here at LeadSafeMama.com this week so you can find it easily!
- Event Date: Saturday – June 11, 2022
- Event Time: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Specific Event Location: Astoria Park Parking Lot, Hoyt Avenue @ 19th Street Astoria, New York – Astoria Park
- Lead Safe Mama LLC’s Non-Profit Partner: Astoria Park Alliance
- Hosting Event: Queens SAFE Disposal Event
- Hosting Agency: NYC Department Of Sanitation
- Free Raffle Prize Sponsors: Kleynimals
- This Lead Safe Mama, LLC outreach event made possible by a generous contribution from: MK Fund For A Better World
- Special Thanks To: the Office of Council Member Julie Won • District 26 for their help coordinating this opportunity!
- Would you like to volunteer to help on Saturday? At least two more volunteers are needed to help on the day of the event, Please contact Tamara at TamaraRubin@mac.com if you want to help out for one 4 hour volunteer shift. Thank you!
At a booth adjacent to the Safe Disposal Event, Tamara Rubin (Lead Safe Mama, LLC out of Portland, Oregon) will be testing your things [using XRF Technology that can accurately detect down to a few parts per million] for metallic toxicants – such as Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, and Antimony— for Free! [XRF testing will also confirm precise Gold, Silver, Platinum, and other metals content!]
- Each person can bring up to three things to test (the flyer says 1-2 but because you took the time to read this post, YOU can bring up to THREE!)
- A full list of the sort of items you might want to have tested can be found on this link. This list includes vintage items, jewelry, toys, family heirlooms/cultural heritage items, dishes and kitchenware, glass, crystal, brass items, ceramics, artwork, consumer goods or kitchenware manufactured in & imported from countries outside the U.S.; soil samples from your yard or community garden, and more.
- Items that cannot be tested effectively with XRF technology: things that are meant to be consumed/taken internally — such as foods, beverages, supplements, etc. [as heavy metals in these can be toxic at a few parts per billion — and thus need to be lab-tested using different methods].
- If you would like to bring soil samples from your garden for testing, please follow the instructions on this link for collecting the samples (soil testing will be also be free at this event — and each sample will count as one of your three items).
- You don’t need to register for the disposal part of the event to have something tested for Lead.
- We will have a signup sheet at our table for 5-minute time slots (first come, first served).
- If you want to test more than 3 items, you can sign up for a second slot (if any are available) after your first testing slot is over.
- Everyone is invited (and encouraged) to stay and watch the testing of other folks’ items, both before and after their time slot – there’s often so much that can be learned!
- Everyone who participates (by having something tested) will be entered for a chance to win Lead-free prizes from Lead Safe Mama sponsors! Prize winners will be drawn at random times throughout the event, from all entered participants at the time of the drawing. [Participants will fill out a free raffle ticket with their name and contact info after their items have been tested – in order to be entered for a chance to win!]