I finally know how much advertising income my website can bring in in one year!
While it may seem odd to some newcomers to my site that I share my income figures publicly – here’s why I write about my stats periodically (including my income from Amazon affiliate links, advertising and elsewhere):
- GRATITUDE: Since my readers, fans, followers, and friends are literally the reason I am here (still doing what I am doing, testing consumer goods, helping families and doing outreach events and writing all the blog posts!), I want to them to know not only the difference we are making together, but how much I appreciate their help in making this difference!
- SUCCESS: My readers are helping make the work I report on here possible, so sharing these numbers with them give them also gives them a sense of our success as a team. With their collaborative efforts, in the last year alone, together we have provided information to more than 1,400,000 people around the globe looking for help to protect their children and families (and themselves) from potential sources of Lead exposure. I especially like to share with them how many people we are (together) reaching with this message (and where those people are around the world!)
- Hyper-transparency – especially in the domain of finances – is an effective tool for preemptively responding to some of the rampant corrosive cynicism and suspicion that has seeped into every corner of the current surreal version of American society. [<<<< Yeah, this! :-)]
Note: While fundamentally I HATE the idea of having advertising on my site… I LOVE the idea that simply by reading my posts my readers can help make my work self-sustaining (making it so I don’t have to put the information I write behind a paywall of any kind.)
But before I get to the numbers, I have to thank Carissa!
I cannot begin this conversation without thanking my good friend Carissa. If you haven’t ever checked out her website, please do. [THIS IS A LINK TO CARISSA’s WEBSITE!] You should also join her “Creative Green Living” Facebook community if Facebook is your Jam, and follow her “Creative Green Living” Facebook page too, while you’re at it! [GROUP LINK and PAGE LINK.] 😉
For all of her amazing support over the course of my legal battle, I feel I literally owe my life to Carissa. She has consoled me, inspired me, fed me, watched my kids, kept me going, kept me sane, kept me on track, (and even picked me up when I was released from jail after being illegally arrested!) and through her friendship and mentorship Carissa has helped me set up systems and relationships that have made it possible for my blog to begin earning me money to cover the costs of the advocacy work that I do.
This is TRULY the most exciting development – to be approaching critical mass towards the goal of earning my living as a writer. I write, you read what I write, the advertisements on my site pay me money — in exchange for your patience in seeing images cross your path [hopefully, most of the time – to the extent that advertisers targeted marketing algorithms work as intended – for products and services that might interest you or are things that you already buy).
To get to this point, Carissa has been my business coach in a way, helping me to restore my business, my work and my outlook on life. Thanks Carissa!
And to the rest of you, thank you for being here, as well; I wouldn’t have done anything I have done in the past year without your help – so sincerely and profoundly, I thank you – my readers – for being here!
So exactly how much advertising income did you earn in the past 12-months, Tamara?
With Carissa’s help, I started my advertising contract just about one year ago (July 23, 2018). So now I can finally answer the question “how much could my business earn in advertising income in one year?”! Web advertising factoid: in order to qualify for the advertising contract that Carissa helped me get, I needed to generate at least “25,000 unique visitor sessions” to my website in a month — and I did that in June/July of 2018! [And in order to do that, to be able to know I was doing that, I needed to be set up on Google Analytics and other fun stuff tracking my blog and my progress – all which Carissa helped me do.]
A “session” is a single visit to my website from one person where they view multiple pages and click through to multiple links. Usually my readers view two or three pages in a session, so when I have 50,000 “unique views” that means I end up having about 25,000 sessions. It’s not exact, but it is generally about that – so, for example in July 2019 – this year – I had 176,313 views and 95,009 sessions (by 80,021 people) per Google Analytics, here on LeadSafeMama.com.
Also to note – money I earn from advertising gets paid to me two or three months later; this means money I earned in March (showing as earned by April 1), I got paid two months later – in June.
Here are my numbers for the past 12 months:
- I have earned $25,930.05 from my advertising contract alone in the twelve months since August 1, 2018. Pretty cool!
- This has been an average of $2,160.84 each month for the last twelve months (not including July 2018 which was a partial month). Also pretty cool.
- This doesn’t include other advertising agreements (with corporate advertisers) or Amazon affiliate income (I will do a separate post with that info) – and these numbers gives me a sense of what a full calendar year of advertising may look like.
- If things keep going with this year’s (2019) average of $2,880.02 per month (unlikely given the spike in March which skews my average a little high!), Lead Safe Mama, LLC’s total advertising contract income for the 2019 calendar year will possibly be in the neighborhood of $34,560.24. I’ll circle back with you here in five months and let you know how it turned out!
- And finally: I have set my goal for advertising contract income for the next 12 months – August 1, 2019 through July 31 2020 (thinking big!) as: $51,860.10 (2 times the past 12 months!)
And that’s it in a nutshell.
As always, (and again) thank you for being here and thank you for reading and sharing my posts – it’s actually starting to help pay the bills!