Originally Published: July 13, 2018
Updated: March 6, 2020
OXO GoodGrips Silicone Flexible Turner Spatula
This new (in 2018) OXO GoodGrips Silicone Flexible Turner Spatula is lead free in the spatula blade and metal part of the handle when tested with an XRF instrument. It was also negative (ND/ Non-Detect) for cadmium (Cd), arsenic (As) and mercury (Hg).
The rubberized (black) part of the handle is positive for trace lead at 27 +/- 7 ppm. Multiple one-minute tests were done to confirm this result.
This is fairly usual for these OXO pieces, testing positive for trace level of lead (and sometimes also cadmium) in the rubberized components. Even though this is a level that is considered safe by all standards, I have stopped buying these for my home.
To see more OXO pieces I have tested, click here.
Here is my affiliate link* to this product on Amazon
(in case you are curious about it!)
Here are the XRF readings for the components:
Spatula Blade / End:
- Barium (Ba): 774 +/- 180 ppm
- Chromum (Cr): 128 +/- 81 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 160 +/- 17 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 25 +/- 15 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 99 +/- 34 ppm
- Bismuth (Bi): 10 +/- 6 ppm
Metal Part of Handle:
- Chromium (Cr): 183,600 +/- 1,600 ppm
- Nickel (Ni): 79,200 +/- 1,700 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 720,000 +/- 2,800 ppm
- Vanadium (V): 947 +/- 445 ppm
- Magnesium (Mn): 11,900 +/- 1,200 ppm
Rubberized Part of Handle:
- Lead (Pb): 27 +/- 7 ppm
- Barium (Ba): 363 +/- 215 ppm
- Bromine (Br): 15 +/- 3 ppm
- Tin (Sn): 122 +/- 35 ppm
- Zinc (Zn): 317 +/- 22 ppm
- Iron (Fe): 78 +/- 33 ppm
As always, thank you for reading and for sharing my posts. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them personally.