The metal lid of this older (20+ years old?) Spice Islands spice jar tested positive for lead when tested with an XRF instrument at more than 8000 ppm lead. Tested in 2012.
#SimpleSolution: Opt for newer reusable clear glass jars with unpainted lids.
In 2018 the amount of lead that is considered toxic in a modern/newly manufactured item intended for children is 90 ppm lead (or higher) in the coating or 100 ppm (or higher) in the substrate. Kitchenware is not considered to be an “item intended for children” and, as such, is not regulated for total lead content as tested/detectable with an XRF instrument.
Would you like to see more test results like this? Please consider making a small monthly gift in support of my advocacy here! https://tamararubin.com/2017/07/subscribe/
Thank you for reading, following and sharing! Please ask questions if you have them!
Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
Trained and Certified in using an XRF instrument