Lead-Free Measuring Cup Choices

a_8_cupMy friends, followers and readers have been asking me for this one for a while, so here’s a dedicated post with a few choices for measuring cups that are similar to those in my home or are similar to ones I recommend based on testing I have done for others.

Important Note: Many of the measuring cups with painted markings (even the newer ones) have lead or cadmium or other ickies in the paint.  As a result I avoid anything in my kitchen that has any kind of painted markings.

8cstBasically the rules are:

• Clear unpainted modern glass or
  • Stainless Steel
  • Avoid painted decorations of any kind including painted markings and logos
  • Avoid enamel coatings

If you follow those rules you should end up with measuring cups that have either no lead at all (or very trace lead that is a low-level contaminant vs. an additive as it is in paints and enamels.)

Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links where a purchase made
after clicking will earn me a small percentage of what you spend without costing you extra!

Some good choices:

1. Clear Glass 8 Cup Measuring Cup Batter Bowl with Spout (this is on my “I want” list!)
  2. Clear Glass 8 oz Measuring Cup
  3. Stainless 8 Cup Multipot (Stovetop Safe) (this is what I use in my home)
  4. Stainless Measuring Cup and Spoon Set (these are the exact ones I have in my home)

amco

Thanks for reading!

Happy shopping!

And, as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
Unexpected Lead Expert

Affiliate link disclosure: If you choose to purchase any items after clicking the Amazon links above, Amazon pays me a small kick back as a thank you for sending business their way. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and helps support this website, allowing me to keep sharing information about childhood lead poisoning prevention (as well as making it possible for me to keep sharing about safe products for your home and family) ... Sharing this information in turn helps families everywhere protect their children from potential environmental toxicity in their homes. I only link to products that are the same as (or very similar to) ones that I either have direct personal experience with in my home or that I have personally tested with an XRF Instrument and found to be lead-safe or lead-free. December 2016

13 Responses to Lead-Free Measuring Cup Choices

1. Cathrin January 1, 2017 at 11:29 am #

Hi! Do you know if Le Creuset have lead in their enamel products (new)? We have several pots and pans from them in enamel…Thanks!

2. Katherine February 1, 2017 at 10:56 am #

Did you get the anchor 8 cup anchor measuring bowl? It was at my BigLots today for $6 and its on amazon now for $15 (says normally 32…not sure its that a true price).

3. holly June 14, 2017 at 12:31 pm #

I too am interested to know your opinion about Le Creuset products (I’ve noticed that several people have posted and asked about the brand). I see that you have tested some of their products (thank you!) and that they do have lead in their exteriors (at least the ones with bright colors).

I’m specifically concerned about what happens when an enamel covered cast iron pot (like Le Creuset) gets chipped. If it’s chipped, is the lead more likely to “escape”?

Thank you so much for all the work you do.

4. Melisa August 8, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Two questions-what about anchor hocking plastic lids?

My understanding is that le creuset made in France is ok; it is the knock offs made in China are not– true?

• Tamara August 10, 2017 at 10:31 pm #

The plastic lids are negative for lead. Le Creuset no matter what the country of origin has often tested high for either cadmium or lead. I would never have Le Creuset in my home and do not consider them to be a responsible company.

• cynthia back December 17, 2017 at 1:18 am #

The INSIDE has lead and cadmium???

• Tamara December 24, 2017 at 10:50 am #

No, the paint on the exterior… which often wears off (into your cooking area/dishwasher/etc.)

• Chloe May 29, 2018 at 1:59 pm #

Have you tested Le Creuset with your XRF? I have a few of their products 🙁 I tought they were lead free…

5. Lisa Benni April 15, 2018 at 10:47 am #

great site!

I’m confused about your statement about lead in the paint markings. A company that sells non toxic kitchen supplies (mightynest) and anchor hocking glass measuring cups with painted red markings claims the manufacturer told them: “it would be illegal for them to use paint with lead in it and not communicate that to their customer.” Mightynest went on to say the cups are “perfectly safe.”

The anchor hocking site (https://www.oneida.com/anchorhocking-faq/) also claims their products are “lead, cadmium and heavy metal free.”

Furthermore, according to the EPA “In 1978, the federal government banned consumer uses of lead-containing paint”

You said “many” of the cups with markings have lead and cadmium. Is it possible to see the results from your tests? What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

• Tamara April 15, 2018 at 11:15 am #

Look up “Measuring Cups” on the site to see more results… I’ll find you a few. The newer ones tend to be high cadmium, not high lead. The lead paint ban was only in residential house paint, there is no comparable ban for kitchenware. The only standard being used for kitchenware is leaching, not total lead content.

• Tamara April 15, 2018 at 11:17 am #

Here are a few examples: https://tamararubin.com/category/measuring-cups/

6. Lisa March 15, 2019 at 1:04 am #

I have the White measuring cup and matching spoon set from TUPPERWARE. Is that color safe? Was purchased within last 10 years.

All my TUPPERWARE is either 20, 10 or 5 or less years old. Discard all or from what year is considered safe?

• Tamara March 15, 2019 at 9:44 am #

Hi Lisa!

I just received one of these to test. I will be posting the results here on the blog shortly and will also share them on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/LeadSafeMama.

I don’t know the cut-off years (as to when the toxicants were no longer used in their products) but I have heard from many readers of my blog that the company made an effort to remove toxicants (specifically BPA) in 2008, so I assume (based on this) that any product newer than 2008 is going to be safe from several toxicants and I expect that the Lead was likely removed no later than the year 2000 – however I do not have a way to confirm this as I do not yet have a way to date the pieces that I have tested.

Thank you for commenting.