Do you want me to test your fidget spinner for lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic?
I would LOVE to test your fidget spinner!
Note: While the consumer available swab test (that you can buy at most hardware stores) might work for some fidget spinners they will not detect lead in most spinners and they will not detect other toxicants like mercury, arsenic and cadmium. An XRF instrument is needed for that. The XRF is a scientific instrument that gives quantitative results (for lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic) for any item you test with it. Learn more about XRF testing here and here. Thank you!
I don’t yet have an answer for that as there are so many different kinds and I haven’t tested enough to have an answer. I need more data points.
The other problem has been that the spinners I have tested so far have not had any specific branding on them, so I’m also not yet in a position to say “Stay away from this brand” or “Only buy this brand.”
Carissa and I came up with a plan that would make it possible for me to test as many different brands and types of fidget spinners as you (my friends, fans and followers) want me to test!
The plan in short: You send me your spinner, along with a small contribution ($10) to help cover the rental of the testing instrument + $3 to cover return postage (if you want it back) and I will test your spinner the weekend of June 16-17-18 and post each spinner tested here on my blog, with a photo, manufacturer (if known) place purchased, purchase price, levels for lead, mercury, cadmium and arsenic and any other information that is available. This will help to create a fidget spinner toxicity database of a sorts – on my blog.
You will be doing this for your own information but also for the benefit of everyone else out there asking questions… so you will be participating in a grassroots movement that helps parents everywhere.
So… do you want me to test your spinner?
- Send me your spinner OR order a spinner online and have it sent directly to me.
My home address is: Tamara Rubin, 7933 Se 15th Avenue, Portland, Or 97202
- IF you have one sent directly to me from the company PLEASE make sure your name is somewhere on the package (so, for example send it to YOUR NAME, c/o ME., or you could include a gift receipt with your name.)
- PayPal via “send money” $10 (or $13 if you want the spinner sent back to you) to TamaraRubin@mac.com
- Email me with a note with “#FidgetSpinnerTesting” in the subject line to let me know that you have sent a spinner and what your RETURN MAILING ADDRESS is, if you want me to send it back.
- Sit back and wait for me to do the testing and report the results! (the week following June 18th)
- If enough people contribute I may be able to rent the instrument for a full week to test more spinners… but the weekly rental ranges from $1,500 – $1,800, so I would need to get 150 spinners in to test to make that happen! [But wouldn’t that be terrific to test that many!]
As always, please let me know if you have any questions!
“Unexpected Lead Expert”