Dr. Mercola Frying Pan

White label on the bottom of Dr. Mercola brand coated (ceramic [cast iron look]) pan:
14.900 ppm lead.
Interior of pan (probably from coating): 83 +/- 18 ppm lead.

As with all my posts the above results are from XRF testing.
Please click here and here to learn more about XRF instruments and testing.
Please click here and here to learn more about lead in ceramics.

Please note: XRF testing is distinct and different from leach testing that may or may not be done on cookware. XRF testing results show total lead content in an item (usually on the surface or in the top surface layers) and that may or may not have implications for leach testing.

Additional note:  I understand from the marketing materials for this cookware that it is – in fact – ceramic, however it has the weight and feel of cast iron.

For lead-free alternatives click here.
To read my post about safer choices, including plain uncoated cast iron click here.

Dear Dr. Mercola,

I e-mailed you last week, before I posted this – but I did not receive a response, and after waiting a bit, I felt I needed to share my finding with my followers.

First, I want you to know that I am so very appreciative that you shared about my findings of lead in a child’s sippy cup (that was marketed as being a “green” alternative).

Unfortunately, when people create products and have them made overseas, they don’t often know how to spot (or even everywhere to look for) specific issues — like hazards (or potential hazards) in unlikely places [that generally “pass inspection”, and may be technically “legal”, but still don’t fulfill the good intentions of the company making the product!]

I am sure you did not intend to make a product with a baked on enamel label that is 14,900 ppm lead in the label on the bottom. [Update:  I do understand from subsequent conversations with the manufacturer of this product (see comments below) that they have been told it does pass leach testing, although I am not 100% sure if leach testing is being done on the outside/ bottom of the pan (where the high lead level is) as that would be atypical of leach testing as I understand it. The manufacturer has also told me that their supplier told them that their labels do not contain lead, however in light of finding lead in the labels in subsequent testing of additional pans from this company I have encouraged them to look further into this concern.]

I am certain that until reading this post, you were not aware that it was lead paint on the bottom of your branded frying pans (!) and I am also certain that you will do right by your followers to address the issue — because you have integrity in the space of health and wellness and you specifically and personally know and understand how toxic lead can be – especially when introduced to the food preparation environment.

Also when lead is used in any manner in any product (as an additive to paint in this logo for example) that use contributes to perpetuating the demand for lead in general (even if just a little bit, all of the demands across our economy add up!) And with the ongoing demand for lead to be used in products we then (as a planet) are faced with the ongoing contamination of our natural resources (air, soil, water, etc.) by atmospheric lead created by the mining, refining and manufacturing processes.  There is then also the concern about the ongoing contamination of the workers who work in the industries where lead is mined, process and made into components used in manufacturing (of all types.)

My specific concern for the lead in this product is heightened by the fact that the label is right where the flame would reach the pan, and while it may appear innocuous and obviously “intact” when new  – it could easily deteriorate over time. Specifically, the repeated heating and cooling of the label on the bottom of the pan carries with it the possibility of releasing lead fumes into the cooking environment once the label begins to deteriorate (particularly if accidentally left unattended and overheated—which realistically does occasionally occur in a large use population over time – especially with high use pans like these)!

While:

• no one has studied this particular/exact instance;
  • there is therefore no data/evidence to support this particular concern on this particular product;
  • And you have not violated any current legislation nor regulation…

These concerns come from my extensive understanding of lead and lead toxicity — and especially the way lead on the surface of consumer products behaves over time. For context:

• while confined to a small area/volume, this lead level is also nonetheless nearly three times (300%) the amount of lead that is considered toxic in leaded house paint by our federal agencies [HUD currently requires remediation of lead paint in federally funded housing when the lead level reaches 5000 ppm]
  • the amount of lead that is considered unsafe in the paint or coating of an item made and manufactured as intended for use by children is anything 90 ppm or higher
  • again, the painted label on the bottom of your pan is 14,900 ppm lead.

I look forward to speaking with you about this issue.

My cell is 415-609-3182.

I will also be happy to publish your response to my post here on my blog.

The woman who owns this pan (part of a full set) has some existing health issues associated with heavy metal toxicity and is trying to detox and eliminate all potential sources of toxicity from her home. She would sincerely appreciate a full replacement set of pans without lead, if you are able to do that for her (and I would be happy to connect you with her to help make this happen).

Thank you for your time.

Mother of Lead Poisoned Children
“Unexpected Lead Expert”

To support my independent advocacy work with a contribution via GoFundMe click here.
To help out by starting all of your Amazon shopping from one of my affiliate links
(and I receive a percentage of whatever you spend) click here!
Thank you!

135 Responses to Dr. Mercola Frying Pan

1. Richard Bergstrom June 10, 2017 at 5:18 pm #

Tamara: Hi, My name is Richard Bergstrom and I am the founder and owner of Ceramcor and my company makes the cookware for Dr. Mercola and we have been making the cookware since 2008. The lead testing that we do is a very involved 24 hour test which is called an atomic absorption spectrometry extraction test for lead and all kinds of heavy metal. This is always done but 3rd party outside testing labs in China, Hong Kong and the United States. The test results for the past 10 years are published on our website. All of our products are tested after each and every production run. We are the only cookware company that publishes its test results on it’s website in the entire world. Our cookware has never contained any lead or any heavy metals as required by the FDA and California Prop 65. These are very strict tests that we must pass before we can sell our cookware in the USA. These test are not the same tests that are used for testing soil and paint. Our tests must pass this very high standards. Here are our testing results: https://www.ceramcor.com/product-testing/ Our website is http://www.ceramcor.com

I will find out about the gray and black decal that is fired onto the bottom of the cookware at temperatures of 2500F from our decal manufacturer and if the decal does contain any fraction of lead then when we make any new product we will make sure to use a decal that is 100% lead free.

Thank you for your article and we always encourage our customers to reach out to us with any questions or concerns. The best – Rich 🙂

You can reach me by e-mail at Rich@ceramcor.com Your customer can also e-mail at rich@ceramcor.com.

• Katarzyna December 30, 2017 at 6:03 am #

Richard Bergstrom I think the best way to convince us would be for you to do a live XRF testing video. I would LOVE to see it, you can set up a date and post it here.

2. Sheryl Senkiw June 11, 2017 at 11:52 pm #

Thank you, Tamara Rubin, for finding this problem in Dr. Mercola’s cookware made by Ceramcor. Thank you, Richard Bergstrom for your response, and your ongoing efforts to make a high quality, safe product.

• Richard Bergstrom June 17, 2017 at 4:44 pm #

Sheryl: Thank you for responding and we love our customers and they are the smartest and healthiest consumers in the cookware industry, they really care about metal toxicity and their health. The best – Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor

3. Richard Bergstrom June 12, 2017 at 6:41 am #

Tamara & Sheryl: The initial reply from the decal manufacturer is that there is no lead on the bottom decal that is on underside of the Mercola cookware. However I have asked them for proof. When was this cookware purchased because we change the decals each and every year? We will continue to investigate this situation and I will keep you update to date on the findings from the decal manufacturer. We will make sure that there is no lead in any decal that is fired onto the bottom of our the Mercola or Xtrema cookware. Regards, Rich from Ceramcor 🙂

4. Richard Bergstrom June 12, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

Tamara & Sheryl: We have contacted the testing labs in Hong Kong and China and when they do the extraction test for lead and cadmium the entire product is tested for the extraction of lead and cadmium so if there was lead or cadmium in any part of the product that would leach the product would fail for lead and cadmium. Our testing results since 2007 have always passed for not being able to extract and or leaching lead or cadmium. I will am still waiting to find out what materials our back stamp are made of however they have proven not to leach any lead or cadmium for the past 10 years. Warm Regards Rich at Ceramcor.

• Tamara June 12, 2017 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks for continuing to follow up with this, Richard. It’s truly appreciated.

• Richard Bergstrom June 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm #

Tamara: My pleasure and my passion is healthy non-toxic 100% ceramic cookware. I believe that that there is no metal cookware or ceramic non-stick coated cookware that can be compared to the healthiness of “Pure” Xtrema ceramic cookware. The best to you and you passion for eliminating lead and heavy metals from all housewares products. Rich Bergstrom – Ceramcor.

5. Richard Bergstrom June 13, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

Tamara: It would be a blessing to all of your followers if you would apply your lead testing protocol on all of the metal cookware and Teflon and ceramic coated non-stick cookware to see what lead their product contain and also at the other heavy metals that are being leached besides lead with metal cookware. Iron, nickel, chromium and aluminum can all be very toxic to our bodies but there is no company out their except Ceramcor – http://www.ceramcor.com that is exposing people to the metal toxicity that can happen from the use of metal cookware. The manufacturing of metal cookware causes pollution and that too has also not been exposed. Metal cookware gets a free pass – why? That I believe is just as big of a story as lead poising. Wishing you the best – Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor.

• Bruce Herman December 26, 2017 at 10:15 am #

Richard,

I wasn’t going to insert our correspondence into this thread, but when I read this response I changed my mind. You go on about how iron, nickel, chromium and aluminum can “all be very toxic”, which is true. What you don’t say is that you no longer test for these metals, telling me that it would be of no advantage to you since only testing for lead and cadmium is required (I have your e-mail telling me this).

Your statement of June 13, 2015, 2:15 PM implies that you do test for these metals and, hence is very misleading.

B. Herman

6. Richard Bergstrom June 14, 2017 at 1:12 pm #

Hi, This is Rich Bergstrom from Ceramcor again and I wanted to keep everybody updated about Xtrema and Mercola Healthy cookware which we manufacture. It is important to note that our product has been tested by the United States Government for lead and cadmium extractability for both the inside and out side of our ceramic cookware for the past 13 year and we have passed every single test for not leaching lead or cadmium which has involved over 50 different tests in that 13 year period. We stand behind our lead and heavy metal USA Government testing standards for our products and we believe in full disclosure and accountability. We are the only cookware that I know of that will make that statement and publish all of our testing results on our website at http://www.ceramcor.com. Please e-mail your questions at rich@ceramcor.com. Changing how America cooks, one home at a time. Blessing 🙂 Rich

7. Richard Bergstrom June 26, 2017 at 11:37 am #

Everybody: Here is a wonderful link about lead that is published by the Canadian Government which has very strict guideline for lead.

This is a must read if you want to know where all the real lead problems are coming from:

I am an somewhat of an expert on lead toxicity because I too have been exposed to lead over 20 years ago from lead paint exposure so now I have it in my bones so I have a team of doctors that are working with me to rid the lead from my bones. It will take a few months but I should be good as new. Blessings – Rich Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor – http://www.ceramcor.com

8. Richard Bergstrom June 26, 2017 at 7:23 pm #

While I am not asserting or implying that this one particular product will definitely poison the user- From Tamara

While:
    •no one has studied this particular/exact instance;
    •there is therefore no data/evidence to support this particular concern on this particular product;
    •And you have not violated any current legislation nor regulation – From Tamara

100% non toxic for lead extraction based on the USA government Prop 65 testing for 2017

• Tamara June 27, 2017 at 8:00 am #

Richard, In my experience and understanding, leach testing (what you are noting as extraction) is done by putting a corrosive or acidic solution inside a cooking vessel and measuring how much of which toxicants end up in the solution (as that might compare to how much would end up in the food in normal use of the product.) I have never heard of leach testing where the entire vessel is submerged in a solution and a determination for extractability of toxicants is made in that way. Just because I have not heard of it does not mean it is not possible, but it seems unusual to me. Also prop 65 labeling requirements is not based on extraction testing (as I understand it) but on the mere presence of toxicants in a product or any item (including housing) in California. So I would imagine given the label on the product contains lead it would need to be marked as such under prop 65, regardless of whether or not it leaches. I am not an attorney so I may not fully understand the interpretation of this law, but I do have a pretty good handle on it. – From Wikipedia on Prop 65: “The first statutory requirement of Proposition 65 prohibits businesses from knowingly discharging listed substances into drinking water sources, or onto land where the substances can pass into drinking water sources. The second prohibits businesses from knowingly exposing individuals to listed substances without providing a clear and reasonable warning.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_(1986)

9. Steve June 27, 2017 at 5:32 am #

Perhaps there is a way to do some long-term testing on the product over its expected use lifetime, with a simulated usage pattern (or even a worst-case scenario testing, just to bracket things)? Or if that is not defined, at least some defined extended period? (Like a shelf life test).

I realize that could be a long-term investment (worth it, from a consumer’s point of view), but how does the company know what *could* happen over time with their product with regards to the alleged lead content in it? The lack of complete data/evidence does not and should not lead to the conclusion there is no problem with the product. Rich, I hope you are listening, because I have a whole stack of your pans sitting now unused outside my kitchen, and I really don’t feel comfortable using them unless you can provide me harder evidence of their safety. More testing, please.

• Steve June 27, 2017 at 7:03 am #

Disclaimer: I should have stated it is MY opinion that the lack of complete data/evidence doesn’t lead to the conclusion there is no problem with the product. I didn’t want that misconstrued as an attack.

10. Richard Bergstrom June 27, 2017 at 8:06 am #

Steve: Please see Tamara’s response to your e-mail. I have spoken with Tamara and she agreed with me that the testing that she performed was not a California Prop 65 test for extractable lead which is the testing standards that we and all manufactures have to use.
    Here are our Prop 65 test results for the past 10 years. https://www.ceramcor.com/product-testing/ There is no extractable lead, cadmium or any heavy metals in our cookware. The tests results over a 10 year period tell the truth and nobody can dispute this test results because they were all done by 3rd party scientific labs in the China, Hong Kong and the USA. Thank you – Rich

11. Richard Bergstrom June 27, 2017 at 1:16 pm #

Tamara:

It would be wonderful if you could petition the government for a new testing standard for the use of your XRF device. Now we have to abide by the standards of the FDA and California Prop 65 for heavy metal leaching. Also, I wanted to give you and update on the lead extraction testing that we will be doing right away. We will be performing from 3 California Lead Prop 65 tests for lead and cadmium in Hong Kong and we will require the testing lab to immerse the entire piece of cookware into the extracting agent to see if it leaches lead or cadmium. We will also be performing the same tests here in the United States. All of this testing will take approximately 30 days. I believe we just might be the first cookware company to every request this test. We will make sure that our label on the bottom of the cookware is 100% safe and free of lead. If we have to created a new label then we will do so when we do our next production run.

The great news that in the 13 years that we have been manufacturing Xtrema ceramic cookware we have never had one single complaint by any consumer or testing agency in any country for the extraction of lead or cadmium or any other heavy metals.

Please have a nice 4th of July Holiday. Rich 

12. Bill June 30, 2017 at 8:01 pm #

I’m looking for the absolute safest cookware possible and it would be nice to see this testing, as well as leach testing done on many different brands and materials. I’ve read that even the labels on some Pyrex glass are made with lead (but it’s negligible). Not finding a cookware that I can 100% absolutely trust with independent verification is almost as disappointing as finding out my cocoa powder had excessive cadmium. 😀

13. Bill July 2, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

BTW: If a new batch of Xtrema shows no lead via XRF testing, I will gladly buy the whole set! 🙂

• Richard Bergstrom July 2, 2017 at 6:17 pm #

Bill: Hi this is Rich from Ceramcor the makers of Xtrema ceramic cookware and we are doing a whole new battery of testing in July and the reports will be completed by the laboratories by the end of July. All of the testing must be in accordance with California Prop 65 for extractable lead. We will ask one of the labs if they can use the XRF testing device on our labels however those testing results will not prove that the any material found in the label is extractable so we will do an extraction test on the label which would be more beneficial to you the consumer. Please remember that the very air we breathe, water we drink and food we eat may contain lead and other heavy metals. There is no way possible to live in a 100% lead and heavy metal free environment, except in Heaven. 🙂 Happy 4th of July and may God continue to Bless America.

• Tamara July 2, 2017 at 8:10 pm #

Hi Rich,
        Even if it doesn’t leach it can still have high lead. I highly recommend you find an independent source to also do XRF testing in addition to the leach testing you are doing. If your label tests positive for high levels of lead (and/or cadmium) with an XRF, you cannot make the “metals free” claims you are making for your product, regardless of the leach testing results. The two testing methodologies are distinct and different, each with different implications and a “pass” for leach testing does not mean that an object is free of heavy metals.
        – Tamara

• Richard Bergstrom July 3, 2017 at 8:43 am #

Tamara: Thank you and I agree with you. Ceramcor, http://www.ceramcor.com is using 3 scientific laboratories that will be doing additional testing this July for lead and cadmium for California Prop 65 certification. This will be the 8th test that we have done so far this year. I understand the premise of the XRF testing and we will do that test as well by a certified USA laboratory. Please give us credit for our full accountability and disclosure of our test results that we publish on our website. I do not believe that any cookware company that you have contacted in the past has been so accommodating or even acknowledged the importance of the testing of heavy metals for their cookware. We are the only company that does this and we have been doing this since 2007. Please let your followers know the value and importance of “Pure” ceramic cookware and you can be a force for good by letting your followers know about the benefits of Xtrema “Pure” laboratory tested Xtrema ceramic cookware. There are very limited benefits in using metal cookware of any kind. Only “Pure” ceramic cookware will enhance the flavor of the food. Thank you – Rich Bergstrom – Founder of Xtrema cookware – http://www.xtrema.com We hope to change how America cooks, one home at a time. 🙂

14. David July 3, 2017 at 4:47 pm #

Hi Rich,

I just ordered Xtrema cookware last week after literally months of researching the least non toxic cookware I could find since I am well aware that stainless steel, copper, cast iron, etc are not necessary as healthy as many people believe it to be. I will be following this thread and am very eager to learn your test results regarding the lead. I do hope that in the end no lead will be a part of the product guaranteeing it truly IS the safest cookware available even if you have to run a new batch. I am appreciative of your efforts to resolve this issue and know every single person who supports your company would feel the same way. In the meantime, I will be holding off on using the cookware in case it needs to be returned/replaced.

D.M.

15. Richard Bergstrom July 6, 2017 at 7:40 am #

Tamara: Thank you and we are reaching out to certified testing labs in the USA and Hong Kong for XRF testing of the small labels on the bottom of our cookware. We are waiting to hear back from the proper testing labs. However, we have never failed any California Prop 65 tests for lead extractions and that is what the government requires us to do. Also we are the only cookware company that has even brought metal toxicity to the forefront? I believe we reach over 700,000 consumers each year on our website so we are one of the largest advocates of metal toxicity in the USA, even larger than your blog site of several thousand members. You only focus on lead but what about all of the other metal toxicity problems. You are just focusing on one metal- lead, when we are bring attention to all the toxic heavy metals. Why haven’t you even acknowledged that to your consumers about the good things we are doing? Why don’t you tell that story? The story about a small family owned business trying to make the cookware industry safer by cooking with ceramics instead of heavy metal cookware. We have so many letters from people who love what we are doing and praising us for giving them a healthy alternative than metal cookware. Do you cook with metal cookware or nonstick cookware? You might be the lead lady but we have done more for metal cookware toxicity awareness than anybody other consumer company in the USA. Making a difference – one home at a time. Richard Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor and the makers of Xtrema “Pure” ceramic cookware. http://www.xtrema.com
    Blessings to you all. Rich Bergstrom

16. Richard Bergstrom July 6, 2017 at 8:20 am #

Tamara: Why are there Amazon Aluminum cookware ads on your blog post and not only are they aluminum but they are non-stick aluminum. Here is a video by Dr. Neal Barnard Clinical researcher and author Neal Barnard, M.D., is one of America’s leading advocates for health, nutrition, and higher standards in research. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-p9q0gOuYw
    Metal cookware causes toxicity problems in humans.

Lets get the word about all metal toxicity and not just lead. You can be known as the “Metal Lady and not just the “Lead Lady” You would help more people by going this route.

Regards, Rich Bergstrom of Ceramcor

• Tamara July 8, 2017 at 11:39 am #

Hi Richard,

Amazon posts ads in that ad-space based on what the user of the site searches for.

They are not recommendations from me, Richard.

Check my blog posts for recommendations.

I always discourage aluminum cookware and any and all non-stick coatings.

This is a site ONLY PRIMARILY for LEAD information, lead poisoning prevention and lead-safe work practices in renovation. My followers know that. My children suffered acute lead poisoning, a fact which impacts my every day life – all day, every day.

For other toxicity issues I can advise (as the XRF instrument tests for most metals) but the focus here on this site is and ALWAYS has been on lead. That’s what I do.

If a person is exceptionally knowledgeable in one area it is useful for others to know that that person is a source of information for the one issue.

Most people do NOT understand about total lead content in cookware (for example) as a concern. It is often confused with leaching standards or other standards. Until everyone understands about total lead content as an issue distinct from any other measure for lead, I will continue educating about lead in consumer goods.

I have worked with many manufacturers who have claimed their product was lead-free based on leach testing when they did not do any other testing. They did not understand the distinction between leach testing and total lead content testing as done with an XRF. Manufacturers cannot claim products are lead-free when they test positive for lead with at least one testing methodology.

How are your new tests coming along, Richard? If you would like to send me some brand new product direct from you to test with an XRF I will do that for you free of charge. I am next testing products for families in about two weeks. You could even just send me some of the labels (not affixed to the product) to test separately.

Please do realize that the interior of your pans also tested positive for trace lead with an XRF (safe by all standards / below the European standard of 90 ppm), so even once you resolve the issue with the labels, you may want to do further testing of your pans for trace heavy metals on the interior. You can switch your claims (if it is too difficult to get rid of the lead)… just stop claiming they are “metals free” and instead you can say “no added heavy metals” or “only trace levels of heavy metals are present”… but only once you switch the composition of the labels which are unquestionably high lead at a level that is definitely an additive to the product and not a trace contaminant level.

I am sorry you don’t seem to understand this distinction… and I am still very happy that you as a manufacturer are taking steps to do additional testing and better understand the concern. Thank you!

I personally would never use your pans given the high level of lead in the label (which directly touches the flame when the pan is used). Instead I use uncoated stainless steel, clear glass and vintage cast iron for most of my cooking.

• Richard Bergstrom July 8, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

Tamara: This is Rich Bergstrom. Thanks your reply and our tests results have and will be continued to be published on our website when they become available. We have 4 USA accredited and Hong Kong testing laboratories testing our products with the most up to date XRF testing devices and we are also doing California Prop 65 extraction tests at all of these laboratories too. These scientific laboratories have advised us to not use our own XRF device or any body else’s XRF devise that is not used by a certified and certified and accredited testing laboratory for any metal testing because the results would not be allowed to be published on our website as being accurate. If you wanted to purchase our samples and test the product you can do so but we can not send you the product for free because that could undermine the testing procedure. Thanks for being the lead lady but please do your work for good and go after the companies that are hiding their lead results for greed and money. If you read and study our website and learn about who we are and what we have done to make the cookware industry metal free then you would mention the good we have done and continue to do. We are changing how America cooks one home at a time. Blessing Rich Bergstrom – Founder of Ceramcor. 🙂

• Bruce Herman November 14, 2017 at 12:38 pm #

Tamara,

I just finished a long series of e-mails with Rich Bergstrom which were remarkably similar to your exchange. I ended up cancelling my order. What worries me is that even if there is no lead in the label by leach or even swipe testing (possibly due to a glaze barrier) the bottom of a pan is very liable to damage due to impact with cooktop grates. Any micro-crack, coupled with the direct flame from a gas burner could be a problem. Rich told me that swipe testing had been done and proved negative. He never mentioned the XRF testing he promised in a reply to you – to me that is persuasive.

Neither Rich nor his brother, while seemingly very nice people, seem to want to acknowledge the distinction between content and leachability. I asked him about other heavy metals chromium, arsenic, etc. which they did test for once years ago, and why they never test for them any more; Here is his response:

“We no longer test our cookware for other metals because those metals are not in our formula and they never have been. What would be the point? ”

They don’t seem to realize that heavy metals can be found in natural mineral deposits, and concentrations can vary greatly. In fact Bob Bergstrom told me that “there are no metals in our products”; funny since all the minerals he told me were used are primarily silicates of aluminum.

Bruce Herman

• Tamara November 14, 2017 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you for posting!

• Richard Bergstrom December 26, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

Bruce:

Kindness is what the world needs. What have you done to eliminate toxicity in the world? What have you invented? How many jobs have you created?

Blessing and you would be better off buying a nice piece of cast iron cookware. Ask them what their cookware is make of? Please send me all of their reports to. send to rich@ceramcor.com. I am still waiting for those reports from Tamara too. I have not received a single report from any metal cookware advocate or expert. – Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good Luck. 🙂 Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Tamara December 26, 2017 at 5:06 pm #

Richard,
            I don’t have any reports. I don’t know what reports you are waiting for from me. I don’t generate reports. I do independent consumer goods testing for advocacy/screening purposes using XRF technology. This does not generate reports. [I generate blog posts with XRF test results]. Reports can be generated by a lab and I always encourage manufacturers to ask for XRF testing results when submitting their products to be tested by a lab (in addition to any other reports: Prop 65 compliance, leach testing, etc.)

• Richard Bergstrom December 26, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

Tamara.

Happy New Year and this will be my last post. We fight the same cause and I will fo that until the Lord calls me home. Make a differnce and bring hope where there is darkness. 🙂 Rich

• Kelly January 30, 2018 at 1:46 pm #

I did a swipe test (3M lead check) on the decal today and it was red.

17. Richard Bergstrom July 11, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

Gov. Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill that will protect certain businesses from what he called “frivolous shakedown” lawsuits over Proposition 65, the voter-approved California law that requires companies to post warning signs or labels when they expose customers to certain chemicals that cause cancer or birth defects. Maybe he will focus on heavy metal cookware n 2017 and beyond. They are the real problems in causing metal toxicity.

Prop. 65 does not prohibit companies from using what has become a very long list of harmful chemicals, except for adding them to drinking water. But it does require companies with 10 or more employees to post warning labels of certain sizes and in certain places when customers are exposed to named substances. This is great news for small business. Our company only has 2 owners and all 1099 subcontractors so we move quite quickly when developing new healthy ceramic cookware products for the world wide market. Rich@ceramcor.com

• Bill July 12, 2017 at 12:21 am #

“If you wanted to purchase our samples and test the product you can do so but we can not send you the product fo” free because that could undermine the testing procedure.”

This would only be true if she keeps the product after testing.

Either way, it seems like an unnecessary precaution and more of an obstacle to getting accurate information out there. If it was a brand new reviewer, sure, but she already stated what her results were so it doesn’t seem likely that she’d now lie because of some free samples.

• Bruce Herman November 14, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

I see, that is why you didn’t have to certify that all chemicals and heavy metals covered by Prop 65 are below Prop 65 levels.

18. Richard Bergstrom July 12, 2017 at 4:32 am #

Bill: Thanks for you comments but I never said anything of the sort. When the we do Prop 65 testing the certified testing laboratory has to test a minimum of 6 to 12 samples not one. Those are the standards and one sample does not prove that our product leaches any metals. Why is it that our 30 laboratory FDA and Prop 65 testing reports which we pass are negated by the testing of one single sample on the bottom of the pot? Check out our website and you we see that we are the #1 advocate against metal toxicity. All metal can be very toxic. Why don’t you contact all of the metal cookware companies and ask them to publish all of their test reports? Help the cause. Make a difference – Rich Bergstrom. 🙂

19. Richard Bergstrom July 12, 2017 at 11:20 am #

Everybody: I too have been poisoned by lead and arsenic over 20 years ago when I did a lot of home repairs and painting on old antique furniture. I am now being treated by Dr. Chung of the Chung Institute of Integrative medicine here in New Jersey for the past year and I am getting better. He is fabulous caring medical doctor who was the head of Cooper University Hospital in Camden, NJ. I am very aware of heavy metal toxicity and I know how devastating it can be to young children and people of all ages. I am living prove of how devastating it can be to you mentally and physically. That is why Ceramcor is making pure ceramic cookware that does not contain any heavy metals or extract lead or cadmium. We have the scientific and certified testing results that prove everything I have said. I believe that our company is making a difference in eliminating metal toxicity that has been over looked by our government here in the USA. Ceramic cookware and or Pottery has been made for the past 10,000 years and metal cookware has been made for only 300 years. Ceramics have been proven to be far more safer when used in the human body than any metal product. I just spoke with a woman named Carrie at my doctors office who is being treated for nickel poising and she can not use stainless steel cookware because it contains leachable nickel. Most people think stainless steel cookware is 100% safe? That is 100% not true. Please read this link from Debra Dadd: http://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/stainless-steel-leaching-into-food-and-beverages/

Making a difference one home at a time – http://www.xtrema.com Contact me at rich@ceramcor.com if you have any questions about our Xtrema “Pure” ceramic cookware. Blessings – Rich

20. debbie facinoil July 12, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

Everybody, This is Debbie: Here in an article that I found on the web about 5 main sources of Lead Exposure in the United States.

Surprising Sources of Lead Exposure

Lead poisoning is a serious risk for young kids. According to the Centers of Disease Control, more than half a million children ages 1-5 in the U.S. have blood lead levels high enough to damage their health. Even with treatment, lead poisoning can permanently affect a child’s development. Because their bodies are small and growing, babies and young children are at greatest risk.
    Many parents don’t know much about how to prevent lead poisoning. Lead isn’t only in paint chips. It can show up in surprising places — like dust on your windowsill, or in your vegetable garden, or in a playground. Here are five surprising sources of lead — and tips on how to keep your kids safe.

Lead Dust
    Parents might worry about a baby eating big chips of lead paint. But it’s the little paint chips — so small that they’re just bits of dust — that experts say are a bigger concern.
    Although lead-based paint hasn’t been sold since 1978, plenty of older homes still have it. Tiny fragments of lead paint can float through the air and accumulate on surfaces throughout your house. Babies can pick them up on their hands and get them into their mouths. They can also breathe them in directly. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn’t take much. Even at very low levels of exposure, lead dust can cause harm.

What you can do: If you live in a home built before 1978, have your home tested for lead. Ideally, hire a trained professional. Although less reliable, you could also test surface paint yourself with a home kit. If you have lead, look into abatement. It can be expensive. Often, a cheaper option is encapsulation — sealing the lead paint with a fresh layer of new paint.
    Whatever you do, don’t start scraping or sanding paint without precautions. That will just send lead dust throughout your home.

Lead and Home Renovations
    Once you start a repair, painting, or renovation project in an older home, you can expose lead paint and send particles of it into the air. Some states report that renovations are the single most common cause of childhood lead poisoning. One study in Wisconsin found that kids who lived in a building while it was being renovated had a 30% higher chance of lead poisoning than kids who didn’t. What you can do: If you’re in an older home, be cautious before starting renovations. You should assume that there’s lead in the paint unless you know otherwise. Remember that home kits will only test for lead on the surface, not in the layers beneath.
    Check to make sure that your contractor or painter has been certified by the EPA in lead-safe work practices. If you’re doing the construction yourself, get information from the EPA or the National Lead Information Center on how to do it safely.
    If there’s construction going on at your child’s daycare or school, make certain they are taking precautions to prevent lead poisoning too
    Lead in the Backyard or Playground
    Any structures built before 1978 — houses, schools, barns, sheds, fences, and playground equipment — might have once had lead paint on the exterior. As that paint breaks down, it can contaminate the soil beneath it.
    Never grow a garden in soil that’s contaminated with lead. It’s not worth the risk.

Lead in Children’s Toys
    Imported toys tainted with lead have made news recently. The lead can be both in the paint and in the plastic itself. Sucking or chewing on the toy — or getting lead on the hands — can be enough to poison a child.
    Old toys are also a risk, especially if they have peeling paint.
    Swallowing a toy with high lead levels can be very dangerous. Several kids have become gravely ill as a result.
    What You Can Do: It’s hard to be absolutely sure if a toy has lead in it or not. Start by checking http://www.recalls.gov to see if a specific toy has been recalled.
    Be wary of cheaper toys — like those from vending machines or street fairs — and especially plastic jewelry. If you notice that your child is putting a toy in her mouth frequently and you’re not absolutely sure it’s lead-free, take it away. To lower the risks of poisoning, make sure that your child is playing with age-appropriate toys that he’s not at risk of swallowing.
    Don’t let your kids play with older toys if you don’t know they’re lead-free. That can mean declining hand-me-downs and toys purchased at garage sales or thrift stores. Remove any toy with chipped paint.
    The safest choices for toys are unpainted wood, stuffed animals, and books.

Lead in Water Pipes
    10%-20% of childhood lead poisoning is caused by contaminated drinking water. It might not surprise you that old plumbing — especially from 1930 or earlier — can contain lead. Some pipes were actually made of lead, and brass fixtures can also contain some lead.
    Here’s what is surprising: pipes in very new homes are potentially a greater risk for lead. Some plumbers still use lead solder to join copper pipes, which exposes the water directly to lead. The risk is highest in houses that are less than five years old; after that, mineral deposits build up in the pipes that insulate the water from the lead in the solder. According to the EPA, you should assume that any building less than five years old has lead-contaminated water.
    Private wells can also be contaminated by lead in pump components or the well seal. Although pipes inside a home are usually the source of lead poisoning, sometimes lead comes from old pipes in the street that supply the water to your home.
    What You Can Do: Contact your local health department or water utility to find out how you can get your water tested for lead.
    If the source of the lead is in your home it — in pipes, solder, or well equipment — and you can’t afford to remove it, take other precautions.
    Only use cold water for cooking or drinking — or for making baby formula — because hot water is more likely to contain higher lead levels. If you haven’t used a faucet in the last six hours, flush it out for one to two minutes before drinking or cooking with it. The longer water has been sitting in the pipes, the more lead it can absorb.

You can also consider a filter that has been proven to remove lead by an independent testing organization, like NSF international.
    Other Tips for Reducing Lead Poisoning Risks
    If there’s lead in your home — or there might be — taking some simple precautions can reduce your child’s risks.

• Keep your home clean. Try to control dust in your house. Regularly wipe it up with a wet sponge or rag, especially in areas where friction might create dust from paint, like drawers, windows, and doors.
    • Don’t track lead in from outside. Take off your shoes as you enter the house.
    • Keep your child’s hands clean. Many children who get lead poisoning transfer lead from their hands to their mouths. Get in the habit of washing your child’s hands frequently.
    • Wash toys, pacifiers, and bottles regularly. Anything that goes in your child’s mouth needs to be clean.
    • Eat a healthy diet. Children who eat healthier diets seem to absorb less lead than children who don’t.
    • Make sure your kids have the recommended lead tests. Since lead poisoning has no symptoms, it’s the only way to make sure that they haven’t been affected. Routine testing is recommended for children younger than age 5. Ask your doctor about whether or not your older children should also be tested.
    WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Hansa D. Bhargava, MD on September 14, 2015
    Sources
    SOURCES:
    California Department of Education.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Environmental Protection Agency.
    © 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved

21. Bill July 13, 2017 at 11:38 am #

Hi Richard,

This wasn’t testing for leeching. I don’t think anyone is saying anything about it not passing Prop 65 as a result of this and I’m sure it’s safe enough for normal use. However, it was advertised as being free of heavy metals and much safer than traditional pots so having quite a bit of lead isn’t appealing even if it doesn’t leach much. It’s true that metal pots leach some metals too but you’d need a lot of nickel and chromium to be on par with even the tiniest amount of lead. It’s also not in the scope of this site (which is focused on lead).

Also, the way testing usually works, one bad sample does indeed invalidate a batch. It only takes one for there to be a concern. It’s more that 100 samples don’t guarantee safety. For example, if you have 100 safe chicken eggs from a batch of several thousand, it doesn’t mean that they’re all safe, just that it’s likely that they would be. On the other hand, if you find even one salmonella infected egg, you’re probably throwing away the entire batch even if you had 100 good samples before that.

• Tamara July 13, 2017 at 10:20 pm #

Thank you for chiming in!

22. Richard Bergstrom July 13, 2017 at 1:08 pm #

Bill: Thank you for understanding that our ceramic cookware was not proven to leach lead. When people here in the world hear the word lead they get very concerned. That is why I have sent 13 years making a ceramic product that is free of any extractable heavy metals or lead. It is impossible to say that any item is completely 100% free of lead all the time because the very air we breath contains lead. The water in your home may contain lead. There can even be lead in the heating and cooling system of the testing lab. The key is to that the lead is not capable of leaching which we have done for over 13 years which is required by the FDA and California Prop 65. We believe in the validity of those tests reports because we have certificates from the laboratories that prove that our cookware passes every test. I am not quite sure that you egg example is relevant or comparable to our cookware example. We did not fail the any test. Salmonella infection, or salmonellosis, is a bacterial disease of the intestinal tract. Salmonella is a group of bacteria that causes typhoid fever, food poisoning, gastroenteritis, enteric fever and other illnesses. People become infected mostly through contaminated water or foods, especially meat, poultry and eggs. If we use the same formula for our ceramic cookware for 13 years and we pass every test then there is not a chance of contamination for lead or metals. We fired our cookware at 2500F for 24 hours. We manufacture thousands of pieces cookware each year and in the past 13 years there has never been one report of metal or lead toxicity from any agency or consumer about our cookware – never. I thank you for you concerns and I only ask that you contact all of the other cookware manufacturers in the USA and ask them to show you their testing reports for the past 13 years? Let me know how many company owners respond back to you and provide you with those test results. Please have a nice summer. Rich Bergstrom – http://www.cramcor.com or rich@ceramcor.com

23. Richard bergstrom July 14, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Typo in my last email. http://Www.Ceramcor.com My email address is Rich@ceramcor.com.
    Please email me if you want to know about the toxicity of metal cookware. Even stainless steel can be toxic!!!!!!! Yikes.

24. Richard Bergstrom July 14, 2017 at 9:41 am #

Everybody – I gave you the wrong web address in the post above. It should be http://www.ceramcor.com and my e-mail address is rich@ceramcor.com. I welcome all e-mails asking me out our “Pure” Xtrema ceramic cookware. Here is a link to our new testing page. Please take you time to read about all articles about the dangers of metal toxic toxicity:

25. Richard Bergstrom July 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm #

Everybody – New tests reports are coming in from the USA and Hong Kong and our product and bottom label have both passed the California Prop 65, FDA and USA water test for extractable lead and cadmium. All of the reports will be posted by August 10th if not sooner. This is wonderful news and this continues to prove that Xtrema cookware is the safest “Pure” ceramic cookware in the world. Rich Bergstrom at http://www.ceramcor.com 🙂

• NaturalLifestyleGal July 29, 2017 at 7:52 am #

Thank you for the continual updates.

• Sage August 2, 2017 at 9:00 am #

Hi Richard,

Would you send a new one to Tamara for testing?

26. Sarah July 25, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Hello Mr. Bergstrom.
    it sounds as though your product contains no leachable lead as you say. Is there lead in your product in any way shape or form? Does it contain lead that is unleachable in any way? Do you have test results to verify this? My concern is that if my pan or pot contains lead and it breaks or cracks that I will be exposed to lead as dust or by touching it despite the fact that it is “nonleachable”. Is your product 100% lead free? Also, have you tested your products with an XRF meter to compare the test results of this page?
    If not, I am wondering why not?
    I am a mother of a family that has heavy metal toxicity and we are doing everything we can to minimize further damage in the products we use.
    I appreciate your responsiveness.
    Thank you!

27. Krystyna August 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

Is there an update with this and why lead was found? If it didn’t have lead then it should have tested clean therefore for some reason or other this product DOES have lead.

28. K August 28, 2017 at 7:40 am #

I hear you loud and clear. In my opinion, your concern was not addressed nor supported with sufficient evidence to deny your findings. Your work, specifically related to lead, was helpful to me in my personal search for the healthiest cookware for my family.

29. Cari August 31, 2017 at 11:36 am #

I am wondering if the Xtrema label pots and pans would be found to have lead in the label? I have and use nothing but the Ceramcor, Xtrema for pans and pots. Well, I do have Lodge products at camp, they are cheaper. So, have you tested the label from Xtrema? I hated to read this. I have a lot of money invested in these pans. They look to be the safest around.

30. Cari September 20, 2017 at 7:12 am #

Hello, I was trying to ask again to see if I would receive a response this time. I have these pots and pans but they have a different label on them. I bought mine directly from Ceramcor. The labels on my cookware says Xtrema, it is a different color and everything from the Dr. Mercola sold ones. I know they are the same cookware but the labels are different. I am wondering if the different labels had been Tested? Thanks

• Tamara September 20, 2017 at 8:35 pm #

I have tested several of the different labels (red and white, different branding, etc.) and all have been high lead – in the THOUSANDS of parts per million.

• Cari September 20, 2017 at 9:11 pm #

Oh no! Is there an easy way for me to do a test at home and see as well? I replaced almost everything pot and pan with these spending a lot of money of them, thinking I was helping my family. The labels on our sets were black and red.

• Andy Bains January 10, 2018 at 5:25 pm #

Any update to this?

I just recently bought one with a black and red label.

• Tamara January 11, 2018 at 4:53 pm #

The ones with the black and red labels were also positive for lead in the thousands of parts per million range. (7,000 ppm +)

• Andy Bains January 11, 2018 at 5:41 pm #

That confirms my suspicions, I was feeling discomfort and tingling after using it a few times. I unfortunately cannot get a refund, but glad to learn from my mistake. Ordered cast iron now!

Thank you.

• Tamara January 12, 2018 at 9:28 am #

You are very welcome!

31. Cari September 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm #

Another thought, if these were suppose to have been so safe, is there any pots and pans that are truly safe with all metals and leaching?

32. Emily September 23, 2017 at 12:44 am #

So, he disappeared?:) I don’t trust anything made in China. Green Sprouts is one good example why, here is another…

33. Jackie Garcia October 18, 2017 at 10:40 pm #

Hello Tamara,

Have you looked into this product? http://www.titaniumcookwarecollection.com/

Guarantees no heavy metals.

34. Ewelina MS November 5, 2017 at 4:18 am #

Thank you Tamara for all you do! My pan was tested, and I stopped using the set I had. Almost 90 ppm on the inside, not mentioning the bottom label, is still worrisome. Even if it doesn’t leach, it still touches the food, and I have a problem with it. I’ve been following this blog entry and was hoping for a concrete uptade from Richard. Another leaching test was done but no XRF testing from the company. Disappointing but not surprising.

• Cari November 5, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Ewelina, how did you test your pans accurately? I was also hoping for a concrete answer, I’m not sure of what but of something. I did message the company. I got an answer back about their testing results passing and that I shouldn’t believe Tarama’s website basically.

• Ewelina MS November 6, 2017 at 2:52 am #

Tamara actually tested my pan. I also contacted the company, and had an interesting email exchange basically telling me to trust their results not Tamara’s.

• Richard Bergstrom December 25, 2017 at 6:20 am #

We are 100% right and always have been for 10 years. Our reports speak the truth. Blessings. http://Www.xtrema.com

• cynthia bacon January 7, 2018 at 2:32 am #

You are a Born Again Christian yes?
            Then I ask you this yes or no question and since you have the Holy Spirit living inside you I know you will tell the Truth.
            Does your cookware contain ANY lead whatsoever!
            I am not asking if it leaches. I am asking is there ANY.

• Richard Bergstrom December 25, 2017 at 6:23 am #

Yep. We tested over 2,300 samples. Passed everything. http://WWw.Xtrema.com.

Blessings

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 2:04 pm #

But I don’t think you tested the label at the bottom using an XRF, which is what most folks are asking, Richard. You did leach testing. Right? They want to know if you did XRF testing.

35. Irene Kay November 27, 2017 at 4:08 pm #

A lot of this thread has gone over my head, I am nowhere near an expert but I am concerned that there would be any sort of lead label on the cookware that is supposed to be free of dangerous toxins, even if it doesn’t leach into my food.

I know this cookware is leagues better than any nonstick cookware, however can someone clarify?
    If I buy Mercola or Xtrema ceramic cookware, will I see a lead label on it? I don’t want to be disappointed with my purchase and have been scouring the internet for the safest cookware, but any lead on the exterior would be disappointing to me.

• Richard Bergstrom December 25, 2017 at 6:17 am #

Then buy Xtrema at http://www.xtrema.com. Blessings

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 7:03 pm #

I would never recommend for my followers to buy your products, Richard. I do not recommend that they buy any products that are positive for lead in a surface coating/ exposed element.

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 5:22 pm #

How many samples did you test? What other tests did you do. Was the cookware washed or was it brand new? What was the testing environment? A scientific test has to be done correctly with proper standards. What is the entire list of your testing standards and are they sealed in a recorded document and signed by the director of the lab? All our our testing is signed by the labratty director. Those are the FDA and Cal Prop 65 rules. Hmmmm. Rich

• cynthia bacon January 7, 2018 at 2:34 am #

You are a Born Again Christian yes?
            Does your cookware contain ANY lead whatsoever?
            I am not asking if it leaches. I am asking is there ANY.

• Bruce Herman January 7, 2018 at 12:05 pm #

Remember, Ceramcor did do testing on the labels in 2017, but the testing was a surface wipe technique, which is less rigorous than the standard leachable testing done for Calif. Prop 65. This does not take into account, heating or cracking of the glaze over the label.

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm #

Irene, to date I have not yet tested a product from this company that was negative for lead in the label (when testing with an XRF instrument). As a result I do not recommend any products by this company as they do not seem to understand the concerns for (and distinctions regarding) positive XRF readings for lead in cookware.

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 5:07 pm #

Hi the bottom labels were all tested – .no lead. The reports are on our website. No lead. Blessings

• cynthia bacon January 7, 2018 at 2:35 am #

XRF reports?
        Remember, Truth as a Christian.

• Bruce Herman January 7, 2018 at 12:08 pm #

They did not test “no lead”; they tested for no leachable lead by a surface wipe technique (at room temperature) that does not take into account heating or cracking or the glaze – a less rigorous test than those for Calif. Prop. 65.

36. TA December 1, 2017 at 2:52 pm #

Ouch. This is so upsetting. Was just looking for 100% ceramic pots and was checking reviews when I got on this forum. Thanks everyone. It’s been an eye opener

Quite worrying that Richard has not been responding of late.

It will be a big investment for me to go 100% ceramic but want to be sure I’m not just robbing the stainless steel I have now to pay for Ceramic with lead.

So please what other 100% Ceramic option do we have?

Thanks

• Richard Bergstrom December 25, 2017 at 6:15 am #

Ta. Xtrema has passed every government test. New reports are listed on the site at http://www.xtrema..com. Blessings

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

Richard, the issue is not about government tests. The concern here is that the government tests are not stringent enough. My readers are asking if you did tests to confirm whether or not there was any presence of heavy metal using ALL testing methodologies. Passing a leach test does not rule out heavy metals and most companies who are doing testing don’t realize that. Even if you can claim “lead free” as the result of a leach test (which is really “non-leaching”) you can’t claim lead free in total unless you also do XRF testing to confirm the absence of heavy metals.

• Richard Bergstrom December 25, 2017 at 4:12 pm #

Tamara:

I am sorry but it is Christmas and our company is in holiday.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Hanukah and Happy New Year. Blessing.

My gift to all of you: **Link shared by Richard to site with incorrect information on lead issues removed.**

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

You linked to a post by a blogger who does not seem to understand anything about lead toxicity and I specifically and intentionally do not share her posts (except when sharing examples of published misinformation about lead, post referencing non-science based information.) To my knowledge she has no background on the subject of lead and only does paid/promoted posts for companies. So I removed the link and I think you should think twice before referring to her as an expert on lead, Richard.

• Richard Bergstrom December 26, 2017 at 8:18 am #

Tamara.

The link was my podcast not hers. She is a wondeful person. She is the Wellness Mama and deals with all health issues for woman. Why would you try to dishonor anothet woman. She has 1 a million following. You let pride get the best of you. It’s not always about you and lead. We sre all fighting to make thus a less toxic world. You owe Katie and me an apology. Do the right thing.

• Tamara December 25, 2017 at 7:04 pm #

People responded to you today, Richard because you posted no fewer than 7 comments on my blog today even though it is Christmas… lol!

• cynthia bacon January 7, 2018 at 2:38 am #

You are not speaking like a Christian would speak.
            Truth in Love.

37. RP December 16, 2017 at 5:59 pm #

Dang, this was a real page-turner. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. We would love to find the safest cookware possible for our family. I hope there’s a happy ending soon… =}

38. Katherine December 25, 2017 at 3:06 pm #

So there’s no confusion, Tamara tested my pots and pans, right after from Xtrema and they were highly leaded on the label. They were bought directly from here https://www.ceramcor.com/. They have a red label (I believe Mercola’s has a white?) they are the Cermacor label ones. We didn’t post before, but a few weeks after Tamara tested the pans above, she tested our pans, one quite used Ceramcor Xtremaware, the other about a month old. The newer label was 10,900 ppm on the bottom label, the older worn one was 6,087 ppm on the bottom label, so where did the extra 4K ppm go?, in our home , in our bodies. The inside of the old was 113, but the lid previously tested was ND and had no label, the newer one was ND on the inside. After we ditched all our Xtremaware pots and pans, my sons’ blood level went down. There were other smaller sources, but this cookware was the big source. My children came back with lead poisoning in January so for six months we had eliminated but not this large source. Previously the older child had been tested but the doctors weren’t reporting the right threshold, my younger more poisoned son this was his first lead check. We bought lead-free cookware and got lead poisoning. The XRF test was done in June 2017. We had originally bought the first pans about five years ago and had slowly spent our money replacing all our pots and pans. Now the pots and pans sit in the garage. We had originally just sent the lids in for testing and they came back clean but heating a leaded label will cause the lead to become gaseous and be breathed in or go in the food or your home. We switched to some new glassware pots that are oven safer and passed XRF testing and no extraneous labels.

• Teri December 25, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

Katherine, what glassware pots did you end up buying?

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 1:46 pm #

This is Rich Bergstrom from Xtrema. I worked for Coring and Vision for 23 years:

Please read this article:

Vision cookware, also known as vision ware or corning vision cookware, has been an immensely popular item over the last several decades, and is seen as both collectible because of its pleasing appearance, and a great dish to use because of how easy it is to clean. They are so named because most are made with glass, hence the clear vision. While these dishes are widely admired, and still widely used, there are some very severe concerns as to the safety of using these dishes. While some people choose to ignore the possible threat (and granted, it is a small, but very serious, possibility), others refuse to use them anymore to be on the safe side. The choice is yours, but be careful.

The problem with this cookware is that it has a chance of shattering or exploding, even when it is not overheating or being misused. While the actual chance of this happening is a very small percentage, many people have been mildly, or even severely, injured because of it exploding. While less than 1% of it may actually have a defect that causes this to happen, it has happened often enough that the original manufacturer, Corning, refuses to sell it directly anymore. While some may discount this as having the sound of an urban legend, don’t dismiss these stories. An online search quickly reveals Federal reports numbering in the hundreds to even thousands about various instances where the cookware cracked, or even seemed to explode.

For this reason, if you have vision cookware that is scratched, chipped, cracked, or appears damaged in any way, you should strongly consider not using it and throwing it away. What is strange is that the damage can be done hours earlier before it actually shatters. While the exact reasoning for why it is susceptible to this type of damage isn’t completely understood, tests seem to indicate that the heating and cooling, heating and cooling, heating and cooling and that repetition can over time, along with, bumps, drops, whatever else, all add to stress that actually accumulates within the dish itself. At some point in some pieces the stress exceeds the strength of the glass, and the cookware shatters. This can happen while it is being used, or it can suddenly “explode” when it is sitting in a dish dryer.

This is a rare occurrence. Some people have used vision cookware for over twenty years and have never had a single incident. This may even be a more likely scenario than one in which you get injured because it shatters, but both happen. The main problem tends to be in the pots and pans since they take the most direct heat.

If you decide to ignore the dangers and use vision cookware, take all the proper precautions. Don’t put a hot dish on a cold wet towel, be careful on using damaged pieces, and keep kids away from those dishes to be safe.

About The Author, Rhendersen
        Still looking for the perfect cookware? Try visiting http://www.cookwareanswers.com a website that specializes in providing cookware advice, tips and resources to included information on vision cookware.

• Bruce Herman December 28, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Richard,

This is just pitiful. Listing other dangerous product or environmental situation, while true, is irrelevant to the discussion of your products. There are three basic questions which you willfully keep ignoring: 1. Does the label contain lead? 2. Why do you not acknowledge that the FDA and California Prop 65 tests only require leachable lead and cadmium to be below certain limits; they do not determine that no lead or cadmium is in the product? 3. Why do you not test for other heavy metals (chromium. strontium. aluminum, etc.) which can vary from batch to batch of mined ores? (Actually, you already told me why – FDA and California do not require them so there is no advantage to you to test for them – not a particularly admirable attitude for those concerned about toxic substances.

• Tamara December 28, 2017 at 5:06 pm #

*Love*

• Cari December 28, 2017 at 5:42 pm #

I got a message back from Dr. Mercola’s. They basically said that naturally occurring lead and etc are in Clay but that they are all sealed in the glaze. Since it can’t get in your food, they said it is healthy. I read it last night but from memory that was the gist of it.

• Tamara December 28, 2017 at 5:56 pm #

14,900 ppm lead is not in any way considered a naturally occurring amount. It is most definitely an additive at that level. Would you mind forwarding me their response? My email is TamaraRubin@mac.com. Thank you for considering my request! I would also be happy to test one of your pans if you want to ship it to me.

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 7:05 am #

Kathrine: This is am absolute farce. Lead toxicity is caused by dust, paint and water. This post is a scam by a competitor.

Take this down Tamara. You know that this is just not possible. You even stated this in your blog. Katherine, it must be nice to blame everybody else for your problems. You take no responsibility, you nor your doctor have no idea where the lead came from. There is no lead in the cookware and if you believe so then take my company to court and show us all the proof. This is a bogus post and absurd. You need to find a new doctor and stop looking for excuses and other people to blame. Show us all the blood work and extraction tests and the air, dust and water tests. Give us paint sample of the house.

The XRF test is not approved by the USA government for proving lead toxicity under the guidelines of housewares and ceramic. Read the reports.

From Tamara:

This is what Tamara posted about Xtrema: While I am not asserting or implying that this one particular product will definitely poison the user [XRF testing is separate and distinct from leach testing, and as-such is a quantitative result of lead present, not a result of what might get into the food or consumer’s environment through normal use], as consumers we need to be vigilant and aware of all sources of potential environmental toxicity that could unknowingly add to our body burden (of lead in this case) over our lifetime. While:
      •no one has studied this particular/exact instance;
      •And you have not violated any current legislation nor regulation- from Tamara

• Tamara December 27, 2017 at 4:20 pm #

Richard, Katherine’s husband works for the FDA.

• Kelly January 15, 2018 at 1:27 am #

I am sitting here reading all of this at 3:24AM after nursing my son and crying. I’ve switched over to these pans about a year ago and cook from them a few times a day. We have a seven month old and three year old. I’m terrified the lead we’ve exposed ourselves to and the damage we’ve done.

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 1:30 pm #

Carl:

Please listed to my pod cast on all kinds of cookware:

I have a 40 year history in the cookware business. Thank you Rich

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 1:44 pm #

Irene:

Our products do not extract lead or contain lead. We do not make up the tests. These are done by scientists. You read our reports and you have seen our 14 years of tests results and you question our results? Let me ask you this, does your water in your house contain lead or air because if it does your water and air is contaminating my beautiful lead free Xtrema cookware. Your house and paint may contain lead which is damaging my cookware? Please send me the test results on the water, air and paint in your house?

Our cookware does not contain lead according to the FDA and USA government. Please talk to them if you want to change the laws. Blessings Rich

• Lili January 2, 2018 at 5:13 pm #

Richard, I don’t many people who trust the FDA or the USA Government anymore. People want specific answers. We don’t trust the regulations that your products have passed to be remotely enough.

Tamara I just bought two small ceramcor pots, if you would like test more, I’ll send them to you. I don’t feel I should use them .

I am sad. I don’t have a lot of resources and was just trying to help my family and especialy my daughter get better from the heavy toxic loud we have been exposed to.

• Tamara January 4, 2018 at 11:03 pm #

Thank you! I will email you Lili!

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 1:51 pm #

Please read this article:

About The Author, Rhendersen

39. Richard Bergstrom December 26, 2017 at 10:18 am #

Tamara – this is my blog post: *link removed*

It talks about all metal toxicity. I want to help all people become less toxic so why the hate?

People, if you want to know the truth about all metal toxicity then I am your resource. Contact Tamara if you just want to know about lead.

my e-mail address is Rich@ceramcor.com

40. Irene December 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm #

Replies from Richard are very unsavory, I have been researching safe cookware for months and had settled on Dr. Mercola but after this exchange the company just seems a little shady to me.

I am a wellness mama fan but the fact that she vouches for this cookware does not answer any of these questions.

I can’t seem to get straight why, even if the cookware passes standards of prop 65, why there would be a label with a lead indication on it, and even if it still passes with that lead level, why would we want that on what we think to be the cleanest cookware when considering buying?

Just because it is less toxic than nonstick pans (we all know those are the worst already, otherwise we wouldn’t be here considering a safer alternative) doesn’t answer these points.

Does anyone know of any other brands worth looking into?

• Richard Bergstrom December 26, 2017 at 5:27 pm #

Irene.

So sad that you miss the truth and you just want to belive what you want. I spoke only the truth. Katie is a wondergul person and did you even listen to my blog or read our 10 years of reports. I am sorry that you feel the way you do but you are the master of your feelings and beliefs. Blessings

• Irene December 26, 2017 at 5:56 pm #

I don’t know Katie and I never said she wasn’t wonderful. I said I like the Wellness Mama.

It’s sad that I didn’t get an answer from you actually. I’m asking you about the truth and just getting an emotional response. It’s not really about feelings, I just don’t get why I can’t get a straight answer about this.

1. If I buy your pans, will I see a lead label on it? (I legitimately want to know, I want to buy new cookware but don’t want to buy it if there is a lead label on the outside of it).
        2. If so, why does there need to be lead in any part of the construction of these clean pans?

I think the point most people here are getting at is that we expect 0 lead in the pans since we are looking for the cleanest, non-toxic products.

Not asking about what laws you abide by and what tests you pass, I think that is well documented on your site. I am asking if there is any lead in your products and if so, why?

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 5:00 am #

Irene. Happy New Year. Good luck to you. Blessings. Rich

• Irene December 27, 2017 at 12:45 pm #

Richard,

If I purchase a set of your pans will there be a lead label on them?

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 1:35 pm #

Irene:

There is no lead in our Xtrema cookware and please remember we tested over 2,300 samples and not one sample tested positive for lead. If we failed even one test we would not be allowed to ship our products to our customers through out the world. This is the worlds rules and not ours. Blessing – Rich

• Cari December 26, 2017 at 5:57 pm #

Hello Richard,

I would love to see(video) someone from Xtrema do XRF testing on the pans &/or pots. I still have an entire kitchen FULL of the products. I am using them still because of their price and price if i would need to replace and I did think they were suppose to be healthier than other options. So far no one has had any symptoms from lead exposure from over a year of use. I was going to try to contact our health department(dr recommendation) and see if they can direct me to a local company that could do the testing on the pans I have here. I want to believe Xtrema and I love the pans but at the same time, it would relieve my concerning thoughts since I found this blog post.

• Richard Bergstrom December 27, 2017 at 4:56 am #

Carl. Good luck to you and please have a happy new year. The best to you. Rich. 🙂

• suzanna December 27, 2017 at 11:01 pm #

Perhaps you could send in 2-3 pans to Tamara in her next round of testing? She really is fair and unbiased. She will let you know what she finds and perhaps that will put your heart at rest? Just a thought.
          In the meantime, use a separate sponge when cleaning the bottom of the pan versus the inside of the pan (cooking surface) and wear gloves when you do that.

• Cari December 28, 2017 at 7:34 am #

Suzanna,

I wouldn’t want to not get the pans back especially if they turned out to be clean of lead. I’m not sure if she sends them back or not. I truly have no other pots and pans aside from a few Lodge pans in our camper. I do believe she is fair and unbiased. I was hoping Richard would have sent her a pan or 2, or that he would have the same testing done just as proof. He did say much earlier he would do it, I assumed he would find someone to do it for him. I am going to call around to try to find some local place that may have one of the devices to test. I wanted the kids tested but the doctor suggested testing the pans and pots first. Seems easier at the price of these tools to test the kids and myself! Also wondering since the pans have passed the leaching test, wouldn’t the food not be getting contaminated? So, I was taking some comfort in that thought. I can get gloves and I use paper towels not sponges when washing up so can use different ones for bottoms. Thank you Suzanna. It is Cari or Carrie not Carl as Richard said above! lol

41. Richard Bergstrom December 28, 2017 at 10:35 am #

Everybody: FYI By Sadaka Associates

Exposure To Lead And Toxic Fumes

 Sadaka Associates/ September 27, 2011/ Hazardous Chemicals

We try to keep ourselves safe from the harmful things in life everyday. We know to protect ourselves from UV damage, not to smoke, and all the other dangers. But, what about the things that we are never really taught about?

The OSHA website writes about lead overexposure. It states that it is one of the most common overexposures found in industry and is a leading cause of workplace illness. Therefore, OSHA has established the reduction of lead exposure to be a high strategic priority. OSHA’s five year strategic plan sets a performance goal of a 15% reduction in the average severity of lead exposure or employee blood lead levels in selected industries and workplaces.

It is also a major potential public health risk. In general populations, lead may be present in hazardous concentrations in food, water, and air. Sources include paint, urban dust, and folk remedies. Lead poisoning is the leading environmentally induced illness in children. At greatest risk are children under the age of six because they are undergoing rapid neurological and physical development.

Lead adversely affects numerous body systems and causes forms of health impairment and disease that arise after periods of exposure as short as days (acute exposure) or as long as several years (chronic exposure). The frequency and severity of medical symptoms increases with the concentration of lead in the blood. Common symptoms of acute lead poisoning are: loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, constipation, difficulty in sleeping, fatigue, moodiness, headache, joint or muscle aches, anemia, and decreased sexual drive. Acute health poisoning from uncontrolled occupational exposures has resulted in fatalities. Long term (chronic) overexposure to lead may result in severe damage to the blood-forming, nervous, urinary, and reproductive system.

There are also several dangerous toxic fumes to be concerned with, such as paint fumes, and welding fumes.

Paint fumes can cause damaging effects to your brain. Since each individual’s immune system is different, it is hard to determine how much exposure to paint fumes it takes to have damaging effects. In most cases, it takes years of exposure to affect the brain. But in some rare instances, a single exposure to paint fumes has left impairment, depending on the level of exposure, current health, and the solvents exposed to. And, of course, there are those who are never affected.

Exposure to welding fumes can cause numerous health problems. When inhaled, welding fumes can enter the lungs, bloodstream, brain nerve cells, spinal cord and other organs and can cause both short- and long-term health effects. Of the many welders who work in factories or in the construction, ironworks, manufacturing, mining, metallurgy, petrochemical, railroad, shipbuilding or steel industries, most suffer from some sort of respiratory illness or pulmonary infection.

In recent years, however, the effects of manganese welding fume exposure on welders’ health have warranted closer study. Even when used properly, manganese welding rods can still emit manganese fumes. Found in metal cookware.

There are health factors when working or if you are exposed in other ways to toxic fumes and/or lead. Protecting yourself by knowing the facts of the damage that can occur due to exposure is your best weapon. There are such an array of types of fumes that can affect our brain and nervous system out there. Staying healthy and taking care of our bodies seems to be getting harder everyday due to the environment, and the nature of our world evolving.

Getting the lead out of the air, food and paint. LOL



42. Tony Osborn January 2, 2018 at 8:04 am #

Wow. This is quite an interesting discussion. As an XRF guy, I see all points. They are all valid. The takeaways should be:

1. The Ceramcor products are likely some of the safest available. Lots of apparently valid leaching tests. Take it easy on the guy. Just because lead is present, doesn’t mean it will get into your body, especially on the bottom side of the cookware. “Lead free” does not mean there is no lead. It means it passed some test based on some standard.
    2. He obviously is not a technical guy and does not understand the difference between leachable lead and total lead. Total lead is what XRF measures and is always higher than a subset of the lead, leachable, which simulates lead that might come out of a product under normal use. He is following the law. Toy products require analysis of total lead under CPSIA. Different law. Different testing standards.
    3. If you are really concerned about lead, don’t live or work in any structure older than 1978 and never drink coffee out of a ceramic cup. I have tested many and most have extremely high lead content in the glazing. Your body will never absorb it unless the cup is cracked (very likely your coffee cup is cracked, just look) due to heat and acidity. Hmm.

43. Howard January 6, 2018 at 7:30 pm #

The old saying- “Never trust anyone trying to sell you something”.

44. cynthia bacon January 7, 2018 at 2:58 am #

I do believe that this entire thing needs to be turned over to Mike Adams The Health Ranger at NaturalNews.com
    He has a government approved lab and IS NOT AFRAID OF THREATS OR LAWYERS! (Truth)
    If he runs the tests on these pans concerning lead AND any other heavy metals for that matter it will be CASE CLOSED. For real.
    He sells limited items that his lab tests ….and they test every new batch.
    He will not list a product as heavy metal free if it’s not. He will list it as low heavy metal and then the consumer is allowed to make the choice. No deception. Reports available.
    This entire matter could be cleared up simply. Very very simply.
    Change the bottom labels or go label-free like Staub.
    Then, list the pans as low heavy metals, naturally occurring and NON-leaching.
    This is not complicated. (I would love to see this case in front of Judge Judy lol)
    oy vey!

45. Debbie January 7, 2018 at 4:38 pm #

So has anyone determined which non stick frying pan is the best/healthiest cookware product on the market to date? I came across this article after searching for a product to purchase. Thank you Tamara for your diligence.

• Tamara January 7, 2018 at 5:31 pm #

I don’t have a choice for a non-stick frying pan. Personally I use vintage, uncoated, undecorated cast iron. Here’s an Amazon affiliate link to a modern version of what I use: http://amzn.to/2COkZRN

46. Howard January 7, 2018 at 6:17 pm #

Tamara, thanks for bringing certain things to light. The problem I have with pre seasoned cast iron pans is that they are impregnated with oil that is NOT certified organic so whatever toxic chemicals etc. that are in the oil are now in the cast iron pot/pan.

• Tamara January 7, 2018 at 7:15 pm #

That’s why I like using vintage pans if you can find ones that are clean (and have not been used for melting lead!) Some companies mention natural “pre-seasoning” although some come without pre-seasoning (or you could, perhaps, “unseason” a pre-seasoned pan (strip it down) and start the seasoning process over yourself!). The points you mention are definitely a concern!

47. Howard January 17, 2018 at 10:47 pm #

Tamara here is a link to an Australian company http://www.solidteknics.com/ion/ that claim there

product is much lighter than cast iron but has similarities and is a seamless one piece of wrought iron.

The products do sound good but of course I have no idea about lead content etc.

Apparently they are distributed in the USA. Wondering if this product would be worth testing?

Thanks for all you do.

• Tamara January 18, 2018 at 2:24 pm #

I would love to test one! Maybe you could ask them to send me a sample for testing!?

• Howard January 18, 2018 at 6:26 pm #

Have done. Awaiting their reply.

• Howard January 18, 2018 at 10:39 pm #

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your email. We have done all the testing for our own due diligence.

Our cookware is made from pure/clean Australian iron.

Kara

♥ Current Kickstarter Campaign: Coming Soon ♥

Facebook Instagram YouTube – Join our Facebook Group 🙂

♥ Solid Kickstarter success: http://kck.st/2bs6KBc

Kara Wright
        National Promotions Manager
        Ph. 0423 436 723

On 19 January 2018 at 12:21, H & D Petersen wrote:

Hello Solidteknics People,

I like the sound of your products and you say – “SOLIDTEKNICS has developed two ranges of innovative world-first cookware: AUS-ION™ wrought iron (formed low-carbon steel), and nöni™ ferritic wrought stainless cookware.
        All are made in Australia, all are non-toxic, healthy, sustainable, and multi-century durable.”

I am looking for cookware that is non toxic (no lead etc.).

However unfortunately other cookware manufacturers also claim that their products are non-toxic etc. but with testing this has proven to be incorrect and many customers have been caught out and are bitterly disappointed because they are trying to protect their families (especially their babies and children). I have also been duped and it has cost money all of us can ill afford.

There is a person in the USA who tests cookware for toxins. I have written to her and she is very willing to test your cookware. If what you claim is true then it can only increase your sales if you send her a couple of samples to test. If they do test free of toxins I will certainly be buying from you.
        I will be displaying this letter and your answer on her website http://tamararubin.com/

Yours sincerely,
        Howard

• Howard January 19, 2018 at 3:53 am #

Hi Howard,

The results are not for public record, we are a small family company with patents pending, for now everything is private.

We have many health experts back and recommend us, the owner and engineer of the business Mark Henry has a long history in business and would not compronise his integrity to make false claims. We stand by that out pans are non-toxic given they are made from pure, clean and raw Australian iron. I understand this may not be enough for you and I do apologise though I do trust you can appreciate our stand at this early stage in our companies life.

Kara

♥ Current Kickstarter Campaign: Coming Soon ♥

Facebook Instagram YouTube – Join our Facebook Group 🙂

♥ Solid Kickstarter success: http://kck.st/2bs6KBc

Kara Wright
        National Promotions Manager
        Ph. 0423 436 723

On 19 January 2018 at 17:00, H & D Petersen wrote:

Hello Kara,

Thanks for your answer. Could you give me the details of your testing and the results?

Howard

From: Kara Wright
        Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:15 PM
        To: H & D Petersen
        Subject: Re: Testing your products

Hi Howard,

Our cookware is made from pure/clean Australian iron.

Kara

♥ Current Kickstarter Campaign: Coming Soon ♥

Facebook Instagram YouTube – Join our Facebook Group 🙂

♥ Solid Kickstarter success: http://kck.st/2bs6KBc

Kara Wright
        National Promotions Manager
        Ph. 0423 436 723

On 19 January 2018 at 12:21, H & D Petersen wrote:

Hello Solidteknics People,

I am looking for cookware that is non toxic (no lead etc.).

Yours sincerely,
        Howard

• Tamara January 19, 2018 at 1:46 pm #

Thank you for sharing this! It sounds like these products are likely lead free!

48. Sam@HolisticMumma March 21, 2018 at 2:55 am #

hey Tamara, great thread and thank you for the work you are doing! My concern with recommending cast iron cookware is the highly leachable iron. Yes, we need iron, but there are different types, as I’m sure you’re aware, some far less bioavailable & absorbable than others. The iron that leaches from cast iron is in an inorganic form. Too much iron can be quite toxic, children are particularly susceptible to this, and it can also cause particular problems for those with problems metabolizing it. what do you think of cast iron with a quality enamel layer to act as a barrier? Like Le Creuset?

• Tamara March 21, 2018 at 9:18 pm #

Personally, organizing a boycott against Le Creuset is on my to do list. They use high levels of cadmium in their brightly colored finishes today and historically used high levels of lead. They assert the cadmium is inert in the enamel, but they are causing a demand for the mining and refining of cadmium (by including it as an ingredient in their colorants) and it causes cancer. I cook with cast iron once or twice a week, with stainless once or twice a week and with glass most of the rest of the time and my family hasn’t had any issues (with iron from the cast iron or with nickel from the stainless), but I understand that other families have had problems. I avoid enameled cast iron at all cost though. Most enamels have some level of at least one toxicant (lead, cadmium, arsenic, mercury.)

49. Kayleigh Soldo June 13, 2018 at 10:34 am #

I’m glad a I found this. These ceramic pans seem to be the ones all the “natural/healthy” bloggers recommend. I myself splurged and bought one of the Xtrema pans years ago since they were so highly recommended as healthy. I had intended to purchase more eventually but they’re also Xtrema expensive, lol! So much more costly than a good set of cast iron, stainless steel and even more expensive than titanium cookware in some cases.

After seeing your results though I won’t be buying anything further from this company until they can prove that they’ve removed all lead and heavy metals from their pans (which is what they’ve been claiming they’ve achieved on their website and blog interviews for years). I’d really love to see them make this right by living up to their claims, removing heavy metals and sending you a new one for testing! Perhaps they have passed all leach testing as claimed but what the heck happens after years of use if the glaze ever becomes compromised in any way? Has that been tested? Probably not…

• Tamara June 13, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

Thank you for commenting!